Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

theedaddy

Why does Sam Mills have a statue?

77 posts in this topic

Steve Smith statue with the Kung-Fu grip = awesome.

Or maybe a Peppers statue that uses the ears as a powerful antenna to give the whole city of Charlotte free wifi.

Uh, there's the cancer/coach thing AND the fact that he was considered one of the most prolific LB's of all time. Pretty sure he's in NFL all-time top 10 top LBers at what, 5'9''.

Here's your answer fishbulb.

1 person likes this

so in three years, he got a statue? that has to be a record for shortest time. there all sort of all-time players who dont have nothing ie no retired number, golden statue, ring of honor crap etc. i dont even think jerry rice has a statue or retired number.

he must have made one ginormous impression.

so in three years, he got a statue? that has to be a record for shortest time. there all sort of all-time players who dont have nothing ie no retired number, golden statue, ring of honor crap etc. i dont even think jerry rice has a statue or retired number.

he must have made one ginormous impression.

It's out of respect for him and his whole career. We were proud to have him.

more than glad to have sam don a panther jersey and set a tone(& leadership)for a brand new team.

Sam Mills was my favorite from the Dome Patrol, next would probably be Rickey Jackson

If John Kasay isn't the next statue, then hell will have fully iced over.

Interesting question: Who do y'all think will be the next Panthers-related person (because it doesn't have to be a player) to get a statue(after Kasay)?

If no Minter. No Kasay.

Yeah I've never understood the Mills statue either. Sure he was a great player, but he didn't spend much of his career here.

Those things should be special. For example, Smith should get one when he retires (assuming he retires a Panther); career Panther + great player = statue.

What the hell?

This had nothing to do with cancer. It had everything to do with the fact that Jerry considered Sam Mills the "prototype Panther" because he was a "gentleman player" who played with all his heart, played above expectations consistently, and his off field activities were as important to him as his on field ones.

The statue was not just about Sam, but what Jerry felt Sam embodied and wanted other players to be reminded of.

3 people like this

It was an honor to have Sam Mills play here, coach here and live here. The statue is the least of the honors he should have when it comes to football.

Kasay deserves a statue, Smith as well. I'd also vote for a Delhomme statue.

Smith won't get a statue. It isn't about just being a great player but being a great player and a great person who inspires others to greatness as well. Smitty is a great player but not a great person nor does he inspire others. Kasay is a great player and great person. Big difference.