• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:53 PM

The Panthers’ youth movement left them without great depth at certain positions, and Carolina doesn’t exactly have a strong Plan B if the new starting safety tandem of Charles Godfrey(notes) and Sherrod Martin(notes) doesn’t stay healthy or performs poorly. The decision to trade Chris Harris(notes) to the Bears in April led Carolina to move Godfrey from free safety to strong safety, positioning Martin to fill the void left by Godfrey’s shift. Martin made several big plays as a rookie and started five games when Godfrey, who had a disappointing follow-up to a strong rookie campaign, was out because of an injury. The Panthers’ other safeties include veterans Aaron Francisco(notes) and Marcus Hudson(notes) and rookies Jordan Pugh(notes), a sixth-round pick, and Matt O’Hanlon(notes), who went undrafted. Francisco and Hudson are career special-teamers. Pugh and O’Hanlon are unknown commodities. It’s not yet clear who the primary backups will be at each spot, and safety depth could become an issue if the rookies don’t assert themselves.

http://sports.yahoo....ue_for_panthers

#2 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

• HUDDLER
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:00 PM

One will be injured relatively early in the season and the rest of the defense will pick up the slack.

Wait, this isn't the predictions thread.

#3 CBDellinger

CBDellinger

CAMdamonium!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:02 PM

One will be injured relatively early in the season and the rest of the defense will pick up the slack.

Wait, this isn't the predictions thread.

quality.

#4 Wither

Wither

• HUDDLER
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:03 PM

quality.

Quality... control? :P

#5 rmoneyg35

rmoneyg35

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:06 PM

Is Fransico that bad on defense? I don't see us having that big of a problem at safety. Pugh and O'Hanlon are unproven but I think they will fill in just fine if Hudson and Fransico don't. If Martin and Godfrey get injured/dont perform then we have 4 other guys that could step up. What are the odds that 4 other players couldn't perform well at safety?

#6 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,391 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:41 PM

Not as bad of an an issue for colts if manning goes down.

Just saying.

#7 SOJA

SOJA

King McNutt 2016

• HUDDLER
  • 9,169 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:48 PM

Sherrod Martin had to get more playing time, he might be that big playmaker we are missing. This article, while seeming intelligent, doesn't really tell us anything, yeah we have a bit of a depth issue but what happens if Smith goes down? I'd rather have a safety duo of Martin and Pugh or Martin and Hudson for a couple of games than having no Steve Smith. If your best players get injured your going to be in trouble no matter what. dumb article. next.

#8 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:56 PM

Is Fransico that bad on defense? I don't see us having that big of a problem at safety. Pugh and O'Hanlon are unproven but I think they will fill in just fine if Hudson and Fransico don't. If Martin and Godfrey get injured/dont perform then we have 4 other guys that could step up. What are the odds that 4 other players couldn't perform well at safety?

Yes he is terrible..

We have no depth at Safety..

#9 FuzzyPanther

FuzzyPanther

...feeling sexy as usual

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

Seriously? FS and SS are both the definition of hybrids. Free Safety is a CB lacking speed, and SS is a linebacker lacking size... Those are the positions that you put play-makers who don't fit prototype size/speed combo's. A Safety goes down, you put a CB or WLB there... this is a non-issue, and almost silly to worry about. If you've got plenty of LB's and CB's, then you're fine at either S position.

#10 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:36 PM

Seriously? FS and SS are both the definition of hybrids. Free Safety is a CB lacking speed, and SS is a linebacker lacking size... Those are the positions that you put play-makers who don't fit prototype size/speed combo's. A Safety goes down, you put a CB or WLB there... this is a non-issue, and almost silly to worry about. If you've got plenty of LB's and CB's, then you're fine at either S position.

where did you get this logic from???

#11 Skip

Skip

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:41 PM

The Panthers should trade Mick Mixon to the Steelers for Troy Polamalu.

#12 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:45 PM

I feel the same way, the nfl is not that simple. With every step up in level the positions get more specialized.

#13 Cardiac Cat

Cardiac Cat

boobidy babidy

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:21 PM

Hes a football expert.. Duhh

#14 DynastyRTR

DynastyRTR

newnfldraft.com writer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:24 PM

I wonder how much $$ Ken Hamlin would want...He can't be a starter anymore, but can be a very good backup.

#15 Wither

Wither

• HUDDLER
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:38 PM

Madden. I also use LB's for DE/DT. All you need on defense is CB and LB.

No, seriously, he might be right, but I'm also being serious about Madden.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.