Photo
- - - - -

Kirwin - 6 New teams in playoffs this year

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#37 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:27 PM

I think what you are saying is true in general, but it depends. For instance, Beason from day 1 has probably been our 1-3rd best defensive player since he got here. Sherrod Martin came as rookie and played better than Godfrey(pre injury). I am more concerned with the leadership void than on the field play. However I think on the defensive side of the ball as far as leadership, Beason and possibly Davis will lead the front. On the offensive side, I don't know if a guy as emotional as Steve Smith can be your leader, however It worked for the cowboy's with Michael Irvin so you never know. As far as injury, you could look at every team in the league and say, well if they lose this guy they are hosed. I mean look at Pittsburgh. There defense without Polamalu is entirely different because he apparently makes up for a lot of defensive mistakes. If the Colt's loose Peyton Manning, their season is probably shot, where as if we loose Matt Moore, we are probably not that much worse. However they could loose Reggie Wayne and probably still move the ball efficiently as a long term loss of Steve Smith might be devastating for us. I'm just trying to say, I don't think it's as bas as you make it out to be. But tbh what you say could happen.

I don't exactly mean to come off negative so much as being very concerned about some of the starters and most all the backups. Not so much that the starters won't have good games and over the first 5 or 6 will continue to improve and gel. It is just that I feel less confident with this group than last year's on the line and have visions of 2007 alll over again. It really will come down to the offense having to save us until the defense catches up. Seems I said the same thing last year. Hopefully this time we come out smoking instead of choking. I reallly am excited to see our receivers and Edwards. It is just that most of these posts have been discussing the defense and not the offense. I am pretty positive that we will score points this year. I just don't want to be like New Orleans in 2008. 8-8 because we can't stop anyone.

#38 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:44 PM

WTH are you talking about? First of all, I already said that Peppers is gonna be hard to replace, and, secondly, nobody was battling Kemo or Damione Lewis for a starting job last year...especially since Kemo didn't play a down of football in 09.

Your are right chronologically they didn't compete and calling them backups who couldn't replace the starters was more a judgement of their potential. Tyler was a role player who had 6 tackles in 6 games versus Lewis who had 41 in 16 games. And Louis wasn't in there enough to know anything about his durability although I thought he played decently in the 2 games in which he appeared. Since he has only started 5 games iin 4 years it is hard to think of his as anything but a backup. Hopefully he dispels that and becomes the surprise of training camp. I would love for the line to be a huge surprise this year.

#39 Sandy Claws

Sandy Claws

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:58 PM

I don't exactly mean to come off negative so much as being very concerned about some of the starters and most all the backups. Not so much that the starters won't have good games and over the first 5 or 6 will continue to improve and gel. It is just that I feel less confident with this group than last year's on the line and have visions of 2007 alll over again. It really will come down to the offense having to save us until the defense catches up. Seems I said the same thing last year. Hopefully this time we come out smoking instead of choking. I reallly am excited to see our receivers and Edwards. It is just that most of these posts have been discussing the defense and not the offense. I am pretty positive that we will score points this year. I just don't want to be like New Orleans in 2008. 8-8 because we can't stop anyone.

I don't see the similarity between this year and 2007. In 2007, we were plugging in defensive players aquired during that off season as FAs, draft picks, or through trade. They definitely had to get familiar with each other and gel to use your word. That is not the case this year. Defensively, we're promoting from within. They've been going to meetings together, working on the practice field together, etc. They're way ahead of where the 2007 team was. A concern? sure but you seem overly concerned. Just my opinion.

#40 monstercat

monstercat

HUDDLER

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:01 PM

Anyway...enough about the defense. Can anybody think of one good reason why the Panther offense won't score some serious points this year? I have already heard Matt Moore say that they're gonna push the ball down the field more (on WFNZ) and now Fox is saying that the emphasis will be on the passing game during OTA's next week.

So if they can improve on what they did in the passing game at the end of last year, they shouldn't be so reliant on the defense anyway. We already know the running game is gonna get it done.

#41 Snake

Snake

Rivera did What???

HUDDLER

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:22 PM

If the Panthers make the playoffs this year it will be a much bigger surprise than when they did it in 2005 or 2008. Difference is this team has much less veteran leadership and experience. And experience counts for everything in the NFL. All of these guys have talent and athleticism or they wouldn't be here to begin with.

That is just a stupid reason to say we are gonna have a bad year. Beason is a vet, Thomas Davis is a vet,Brayton yep he is a vet also. On the other side of the ball you have Gross,Whorton, and Smith. This team is flat out better then the 05 team that was carried to the playoffs on Jake and Smiths back.

#42 Mother Grabber

Mother Grabber

Gettlemagic 2.0

HUDDLER

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:42 PM

And Williams, too...