Photo
- - - - -

Purely hypothetical. Let's say there IS an total economic collapse.

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#16 cantrell

cantrell

secular progressive bogeyman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

that's the biggest western collapse. Africa and the east have seen much more catastrophic collapses in the last 100 years.

On a related note:

According to Central Statistical Office statistics, annual inflation rate rose to 231 million percent in July 2008. The month-on-month rate rose to 2,600.2%.[49] By December 2008, inflation was estimated at 6.5 quindecillion novemdecillion percent (65 followed by 107 zeros).[50]

http://en.wikipedia....mbabwean_dollar

#17 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,313 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

Kill my neighbor, she has a great patio.

My neighbor has a hot wife, can I just get rid of him and start my harem? :)

#18 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,495 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:03 PM

Too easy but we will allow it.

c'mon man, ghostbusters duh :D

#19 Samuel L. Jackson

Samuel L. Jackson

Banned

• Banned
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:16 PM

Depends on the type of economic collapse, be it world wide or the collapse of the dollar.

If it is the dollar alone, you can expect the following.

Day 1: You'd see businesses shut down shop and send employees home. Zero action involving monetary transactions. The government would likely dispatch/alert National Guard folks in major metropolitan areas.

End of Day 1, early Day 2: Riots and panic induced raids on gas stations, supermarkets, and sporting goods stores.

End of week 1: By this time, most local law enforcement entities as well as a lot of the National Guard has been dismantled by resistance, and people pretty much doing as they please with no regard for any sort of law.

End of week 2: The power grid is probably down by now, and the lights are out. People who do nothing but eat every meal outside their home are now in full on panic mode. Even if they have some food at home, they have likely gone through it without taking future need into consideration. Neighborhood militias or gangs have formed by now. People not in the metropolitan area are now feeling the collapse more than previously.

End of week 3: Some businesses may have tried reopening by this point, using foreign currency or new local currencies. Some sort of order may have been restored to most areas, even though the threat of riots or raids has not and will not end. A barter system has emerged in the more civilized areas and is the primary source, aside from stealing, of gaining required resources in each community.

Day 30: In just one month, the greatest country ever has been dropped to the status of Mexico or parts of Central America, or worse. People have turned on each other. Crimes happen without punishment. People collapse under the pressure of not having the things we have now and treat as needs.

It won't be pretty, but it won't be the end of the world... if you're ready for it...

#20 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:33 PM

Maybe, but its hard to say its an economic collapse when things went from sucking bad, to sucking really bad.

My ship had to stand by for embassy rescue in the Congo when the government there collapsed. There was economic collapse but it was combined with military/civil war upheaval. In fact, the conflict played a big part in the collapse. Which is why I say there are no cases that I can think of in which economies collapsed solely on their own.

As far as total internal collapse, North Korea sets the bar pretty high.

#21 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,313 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:42 PM

As far as total internal collapse, North Korea sets the bar pretty high.

If they did collapse, would anyone notice?

#22 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:41 PM

Depends on the type of economic collapse, be it world wide or the collapse of the dollar.

Day 1: You'd see businesses shut down shop and send employees home. Zero action involving monetary transactions. The government would likely dispatch/alert National Guard folks in major metropolitan areas.

End of Day 1, early Day 2: Riots and panic induced raids on gas stations, supermarkets, and sporting goods stores.

End of week 1: By this time, most local law enforcement entities as well as a lot of the National Guard has been dismantled by resistance, and people pretty much doing as they please with no regard for any sort of law.

End of week 2: The power grid is probably down by now, and the lights are out. People who do nothing but eat every meal outside their home are now in full on panic mode. Even if they have some food at home, they have likely gone through it without taking future need into consideration. Neighborhood militias or gangs have formed by now. People not in the metropolitan area are now feeling the collapse more than previously.

End of week 3: Some businesses may have tried reopening by this point, using foreign currency or new local currencies. Some sort of order may have been restored to most areas, even though the threat of riots or raids has not and will not end. A barter system has emerged in the more civilized areas and is the primary source, aside from stealing, of gaining required resources in each community.

Day 30: In just one month, the greatest country ever has been dropped to the status of Mexico or parts of Central America, or worse. People have turned on each other. Crimes happen without punishment. People collapse under the pressure of not having the things we have now and treat as needs.

It won't be pretty, but it won't be the end of the world... if you're ready for it...

What of the Regular Armed Forces? I dont see them just collapasing. Think we we would be put under Marshall Law if it is a sudden collapse. If that is the case no traveling would be allowed. All Airports and Interestates would be shutdown. If the goverment collapses I could see bands a gangs forming but only in the cities. Rural places would be the best off as they would be better prepared. I could towns forming militias and taking control of industries and supplies until everything settles down.

#23 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,539 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:00 PM

We will not realize when we have collapsed and of course some people think we have already collapsed starting in 1971.

Theory is the government will simply take over more and more (401ks, socialization of all jobs) and provide more and more until one day, while standing in line for food, you realize things may have gotten out of hand.

*goes back to playing XBOX*

#24 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:01 PM

All I know is that I don't like anyone touching my stuff, so just keep your meathooks off. Anyone touches my stuff, and I'll kill ya. And I don't like no one touching me. Any of you "homos" touch me, and I'll kill ya.

#25 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,539 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:02 PM

Do you think the club will stay open? will it be easier or harder to get a tee-time?

#26 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,539 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:02 PM

All I know is that I don't like anyone touching my stuff, so just keep your meathooks off. Anyone touches my stuff, and I'll kill ya. And I don't like no one touching me. Any of you "homos" touch me, and I'll kill ya.

Dude you are going to have to give it up for food. Get ready for it

#27 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,204 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

lighten up Francis-
Sgt Hulka

#28 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,539 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:26 PM

Lessons from Argentina

http://news.bbc.co.u...ess/4534786.stm

#29 Bobby

Bobby

Czar of Czars

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:00 PM

Poison some food and put it in my yard. Proceed to rob the victims.

#30 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,517 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:05 PM

I have developed some, uh, skills that could be considered by some to be, uh, valuable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.