Photo
- - - - -

DeAngelo Williams won't complain about his contract

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
98 replies to this topic

#11 cantrell

cantrell

secular progressive bogeyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:45 PM

He's definitely saying something under all that. He wants a new contract.

Absolutely, but I love the fact that he isn't trying to burn any bridges by pulling a Chris Johnson. Granted, Johnson has a little more leverage than Williams.

#12 Third Degree

Third Degree

Socks are for your feet, silly

HUDDLER

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:47 PM

I don't follow contracts as much as I used to...how long are DeAngelo, Stewart and Clausen locked up?

#13 cantrell

cantrell

HUDDLER

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:50 PM

I don't follow contracts as much as I used to...how long are DeAngelo, Stewart and Clausen locked up?

Williams is entering his last year, Clausen hasn't signed, and I THINK Stewart's here for 3 more years.

#14 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

HUDDLER

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:52 PM

Absolutely, but I love the fact that he isn't trying to burn any bridges by pulling a Chris Johnson. Granted, Johnson has a little more leverage than Williams.

Oh yeah, of course. I think he is handling it excellently, but I also think it's obvious he wants a new contract just judging by those statements alone.

#15 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

SUPPORTER

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:56 PM

a little more leverage?

williams has zilch for leverage, and he knows it....that's why he's being such a "class act" about the situation.

#16 cantrell

cantrell

HUDDLER

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

a little more leverage?

williams has zilch for leverage, and he knows it....that's why he's being such a "class act" about the situation.

I was being facetious. We could easily let him walk if he became a problem, whereas Chris Johnson has Tennessee by the balls.

Edited by cantrell, 25 May 2010 - 02:00 PM.
sarcastic =/= facetious

#17 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

He said exactly what I did and the same thing every player knows. If they want to do a deal with the players, the 30% rule is not that hard to work around. All of the owners should realize that using that as a poor excuse for delaying contracts will have a backlash. If owners want players to be loyal to them, they need to do the same. If they don't care, then don't expect the players to care either. Locking up a guy like Williams on a 4 year deal wouldn't be that hard and would guarantee his loyalty and hard work for the next 4 years. That would put him at 31 which is effectively his career. By putting things off the FO is creating a problem which will make it that much harder to sign all of our young players whose contracts are expiring. Frankly I imagine that contracts could be written with large incentives next year based on their being a regualr season and figure in playing bonuses which would account for a possible lockout. That wouldn't necessarily be included in the base salary (so it wouldn't be part of the 30% rule. If someone like me can figure that out so can Hurney.

#18 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

HUDDLER

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:02 PM

a little more leverage?

He's the best running back the Panthers have had by far, and holds several records and is the all-time leading rusher and the only one the Panthers have had that is averaging over 5 YPC.

The Panthers could live without him, but why would they want to?

#19 Third Degree

Third Degree

Socks are for your feet, silly

HUDDLER

Williams is entering his last year, Clausen hasn't signed, and I THINK Stewart's here for 3 more years.

Thank ye. Clausen's rookie deal would be for about 5, right?

#20 AggieLean.

AggieLean.

Blessed.

HUDDLER

poo I'd want a new contract if I were him. We've got him for dirt cheap right now.

Yea, he's outplayed his current contract. He deserves a new contract