#16 cantrell

cantrell

secular progressive bogeyman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

a little more leverage?

williams has zilch for leverage, and he knows it....that's why he's being such a "class act" about the situation.

I was being facetious. We could easily let him walk if he became a problem, whereas Chris Johnson has Tennessee by the balls.

Edited by cantrell, 25 May 2010 - 02:00 PM.
sarcastic =/= facetious

#17 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,106 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

He said exactly what I did and the same thing every player knows. If they want to do a deal with the players, the 30% rule is not that hard to work around. All of the owners should realize that using that as a poor excuse for delaying contracts will have a backlash. If owners want players to be loyal to them, they need to do the same. If they don't care, then don't expect the players to care either. Locking up a guy like Williams on a 4 year deal wouldn't be that hard and would guarantee his loyalty and hard work for the next 4 years. That would put him at 31 which is effectively his career. By putting things off the FO is creating a problem which will make it that much harder to sign all of our young players whose contracts are expiring. Frankly I imagine that contracts could be written with large incentives next year based on their being a regualr season and figure in playing bonuses which would account for a possible lockout. That wouldn't necessarily be included in the base salary (so it wouldn't be part of the 30% rule. If someone like me can figure that out so can Hurney.

#18 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

• HUDDLER
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:02 PM

a little more leverage?

williams has zilch for leverage, and he knows it....that's why he's being such a "class act" about the situation.

He's the best running back the Panthers have had by far, and holds several records and is the all-time leading rusher and the only one the Panthers have had that is averaging over 5 YPC.

The Panthers could live without him, but why would they want to?

#19 Third Degree

Third Degree

Come back soon, 89

• HUDDLER
  • 4,398 posts
  • Location704

Williams is entering his last year, Clausen hasn't signed, and I THINK Stewart's here for 3 more years.

Thank ye. Clausen's rookie deal would be for about 5, right?

#20 AggieLean.

AggieLean.

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,086 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX via Winston-Salem, NC

poo I'd want a new contract if I were him. We've got him for dirt cheap right now.

Yea, he's outplayed his current contract. He deserves a new contract

#21 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

• HUDDLER
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

Yea, he's outplayed his current contract. He deserves a new contract

Anyone have any idea what he might get?

#22 eViL jEsTeR

eViL jEsTeR

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:12 PM

i think they might be waiting to see if stewart emerges this year. he has more upside which could lead to a franchise tag and tade for DeWill at the end of this year or next for a high first round pick.

#23 cantrell

cantrell

secular progressive bogeyman

• HUDDLER
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:12 PM

Well I have no idea, especially with the whole CBA issue. I do know that Henne signed for 4 years when he was drafted 2 years ago. With as giddy as the FO appears to be about Clausen, who knows?

#24 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:17 PM

He's the best running back the Panthers have had by far, and holds several records and is the all-time leading rusher and the only one the Panthers have had that is averaging over 5 YPC.

The Panthers could live without him, but why would they want to?

he's arguably the best RB in franchise history. it's a coin toss between he and stewart.

put their respective freshman and sophomore seasons side by side, and it isn't even close.

#25 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:18 PM

Anyone have any idea what he might get?

it won't be whatever they were willing to pay him after the 2008 season.

#26 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,106 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:36 PM

What he will get probably depends on if there are franchise tags in the new CBA, what the salary structure is, and if there is a cap whether it will be higher or lower than in the past. I know the owners want a concession of 20% from the players in total compensation but I don't know what that will look like.

I would think we could do a deal for 5 years and 40-45 million. He could get 20 million guaranteed and the rest in salary, roster bonuses and other incentives so it would fit in the 30% rule. He might not see more than 3 or 4 of it and the 20 million wouldn't be that bad for his talent. If he didn't go for that he could wait and get something next year.

#27 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:39 PM

It will be a 4 year deal.

#28 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,567 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:43 PM

carefully chosen words here.

it isn't the panthers he loves...it's the game of football and he's saying that he will be happy as long as he is playing. it doesn't matter where.

i hope we can work something out to keep him.

of course if the passing game starts to take off in the next couple years it won't matter as much. having williams and stewart together is a necessity at the moment but once the QB situation gels and the new WRs catch on having double trouble will be a luxury.

#29 SOJA

SOJA

King McNutt 2016

• HUDDLER
  • 8,802 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:45 PM

I don't really buy into the whole ancient runningback talk. Yeah Deangelo got a lot of carries in college and is a premier back, but he is splitting time with J-Stew. I really think they both could play well into their thirties due to this. I expect the Panthers to resign both of them. But if push comes to shove who do you resign? I say J-Stew and hope you can find another speedster to compliment him.

Oh and Deangelo is a great guy, but you can tell he wants a new deal as he should. I really hate the business part of football.

#30 tjmurray

tjmurray

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationMemphis, Tn

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:47 PM

a little more leverage?

Yo, shut the fug up. Everytime I come on this site ur bitch ass is throwing darts at DeAngelo Williams. I never seen anybody have such a negative view of a player and their motives, because they love another player so much. He has been there going on 5 years, and you have yet to figure out what he is about as a player and as a man. The reason why he is being a "class act" is because of his lack of leverage. It couldn't possibly be because he is ALWAYS A CLASS ACT. You are a straight up bitch..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.