#76 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,651 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:13 AM

I have a lot of faith in Richardson. He got the team here unanimously when no one thought he could land it in the first place. He's always paid a full cap, and he's never been shy about opening his wallet up before. But suddenly he has been this year. It may come across as being tight and just trying to save money, but the guy's got more than enough, he wants a winner.

Given that he's forgotten more about running a successful business than most of us could ever dream of knowing, I'm not going to be too critical of his approach. It's likely that in the long run it will seem like genius, even though for now he looks like Scrooge. And Williams knows it's a business, as do all the players. He's smart enough to say the right things, and let his agent work out the details. Not all NFL players are.

I love Williams, but I'm not betting against the Big Cat.

He knows a lot about running a successful buisness of course. All of the owners do or they wouldn't have the millions of dollars it takes to buy a franchise. It doesn't mean they don't make mistakes and screw up. And it isn't like he ever ran a football organization before so he has no prior experience doing it. Running a chain of food restaurants isn't exactly the same as running a football franchise. And this year is totally uncharted waters for everyone. With both his sons gone and new management in place, you can't say that what he did before is any model for the future and things could be totally different. Looking around the league richardson is taking this to more of an extreme than most any owner I can see. He might know something or might be like most men in their 70s, too focused on security and unwilling to step out and take chances anymore. Heart attacks and bypass surgery change a man and his values. I saw it with my father who is also in his seventies. No he isn't rich like Richardson but it about more than money. Football being a young man's game may ultimately extend to the FO and ownership as well.

#77 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,651 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:18 AM

i dont get what all the b*tching and moaning about contracts is about .. for a fun fact .. just about every starter in the NFL makes more than the president every year .. nobody needs a new contract .. its a game .. if you love it play it .. if its all about money do something worthwhile to earn it.. playing football doesnt help anybody survive , cure diseases or help the world make progress its a past time these are grown ass men they need to grow up..

Seriously??? How do you feel if someone said why should you be bitching about your job. You make plenty more than mimimun wage. Millions of people make a lot less than you do and frankly billions of people went hungry today and you have plenty to eat. You should be darn happy just to have a job. Working is for the accomplishment of it and being productive not for the money.

Yeah it plays that well for players too.

#78 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,651 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:20 AM

Strong feelings/opinions shouldn't be based on assumptions.

Strong feelings and opinons are always based on assumptions. Otherwise they would be facts and based on absolutes.

#79 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 47,230 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:27 AM

I have a lot of faith in Richardson. He got the team here unanimously when no one thought he could land it in the first place. He's always paid a full cap, and he's never been shy about opening his wallet up before. But suddenly he has been this year. It may come across as being tight and just trying to save money, but the guy's got more than enough, he wants a winner.

Given that he's forgotten more about running a successful business than most of us could ever dream of knowing, I'm not going to be too critical of his approach. It's likely that in the long run it will seem like genius, even though for now he looks like Scrooge. And Williams knows it's a business, as do all the players. He's smart enough to say the right things, and let his agent work out the details. Not all NFL players are.

I love Williams, but I'm not betting against the Big Cat.

Ya, that's what I was thinking, maybe trying to save a little money now to pay some big contracts that will definitely be coming.

#80 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:27 AM

He knows a lot about running a successful buisness of course. All of the owners do or they wouldn't have the millions of dollars it takes to buy a franchise. It doesn't mean they don't make mistakes and screw up. And it isn't like he ever ran a football organization before so he has no prior experience doing it. Running a chain of food restaurants isn't exactly the same as running a football franchise. And this year is totally uncharted waters for everyone. With both his sons gone and new management in place, you can't say that what he did before is any model for the future and things could be totally different. Looking around the league richardson is taking this to more of an extreme than most any owner I can see. He might know something or might be like most men in their 70s, too focused on security and unwilling to step out and take chances anymore. Heart attacks and bypass surgery change a man and his values. I saw it with my father who is also in his seventies. No he isn't rich like Richardson but it about more than money. Football being a young man's game may ultimately extend to the FO and ownership as well.

By the same token, having the heart attack may make him more reckless and willing to take big gambles. And not spending is as much a gamble as spending too much. The question isn't whether the behavior is extreme or whether it's a gamble, at least I don't think it is. I think the question is whether it will pay off.

There's another element at play here that I remember reading about but don't remember the details. The team president, or someone, operates under a strict set of rules where money is concerned. They're going to take in a certain amount regardless of the lockout because of the direct tv package. If there's a lockout though, that means that under the rules the president (or whoever) has to operate under, if we're too deep in the pockets of the players then a ton of other team employees will be laid off. Not the big names you all hear about, but stadium employees, janitors, secretaries, sales people, etc. That could be an influence as well.

It's hard to know what people at that level think. I'm hoping he's on the right track. At least we can agree about that. :)

#81 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,211 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:38 AM

Pretty sure Williams said he didn't want to worry with a new contract after the 2008 season, but yeah sure he's pissed and hates Jerry Richardson etc etc that makes more sense.

#82 SmokeScreen

SmokeScreen

SHAKA NINJAs!!!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:45 AM

i would make comments, but nc biscuit avarboob is slapping my face....

#83 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,651 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

By the same token, having the heart attack may make him more reckless and willing to take big gambles. And not spending is as much a gamble as spending too much. The question isn't whether the behavior is extreme or whether it's a gamble, at least I don't think it is. I think the question is whether it will pay off.

There's another element at play here that I remember reading about but don't remember the details. The team president, or someone, operates under a strict set of rules where money is concerned. They're going to take in a certain amount regardless of the lockout because of the direct tv package. If there's a lockout though, that means that under the rules the president (or whoever) has to operate under, if we're too deep in the pockets of the players then a ton of other team employees will be laid off. Not the big names you all hear about, but stadium employees, janitors, secretaries, sales people, etc. That could be an influence as well.

It's hard to know what people at that level think. I'm hoping he's on the right track. At least we can agree about that. :)

What I have read is that there is a 5 billion dollar amount that is guaranteed whether they play or not. Smith for the NFLPA says that is why the owners want a lockout because they will get paid anyway. The league rep said that it wasn't a guaranteed payment but a guaranteed loan that would have to be paid back. But honestly I think everyone would be shocked if this drags out past the preseason next year.
The question really is going to be whether there is a cap, what the compensation will look like and how revenue will be shared among the owners. The bet that Richardson is taking in my opinion is that there will be a lower cap which may or may not reduce the salaries of the top players in the game. A lower cap will affect the role players more than the stars.

As for the whole spending thing versus not spending thing. Yeah marketing folks will tell you not spending is worse than spending but the risk looks very different to the person shelling out the dollars. Not spending preserves your cash flow in the present and, while it may prove to be risky down the road, looks good now because you have more to spend. Spending too much look risky down the road and risky now. So the risk of spending now outweighs the possible risk of what you might lose down the road. And Richardson in my mind is all about the present not the future of he would be locking up contracts. By the way owners have a pocket of money they can use anytime for signing bonuses or anything provided by the league in the form of a loan- it is 145 million per team. So really he isn't in a bind except by his own creation. He has an internal budget despite any cap. And yes he wants to avoid letting folks go but if there is a lockout that will happen anyway. And since owners are causing the lockout you could argue he is responsible if they lose their jobs. he will just get to blame it on the players.

We will agree that we both hope he does know what he is doing.

Edited by panthers55, 26 May 2010 - 01:10 PM.

#84 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:30 AM

Steven Jackson got a 6 year- 49 million dollar deal in 2009 with 20 million guaranteed. Realistically it is 3 year deal worth 30 million. Williams will be looking at that as the standard and want as much. If Richardson doesn't pay him someone else surely will.

We will not give him that kind of money. Not with Stewart waiting in the wings.

#85 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:32 AM

And you can't blame Richardson for "putting a bad product on the field" because he doesn't. Every year we have the talent to compete for our division. There is so much a guy can do, it's up to the coaches and his staff to put the final pieces together.

#86 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,651 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:02 PM

And you can't blame Richardson for "putting a bad product on the field" because he doesn't. Every year we have the talent to compete for our division. There is so much a guy can do, it's up to the coaches and his staff to put the final pieces together.

Up until this year we have been competitive and had plenty of veterans and paid the going rate. This year is different. We went on the cheap. Whether it is a bad product on the field remains to be seen. It might be better or worse.

But if it is better you can chalk it up to Hurney and the coaching staff not Richardson. All he has done is give them a handicapping budget in their last year.

Edited by panthers55, 26 May 2010 - 01:08 PM.

#87 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,651 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:05 PM

We will not give him that kind of money. Not with Stewart waiting in the wings.

That is the 40 million dollar question. When you add Moore, Davis, Kalil, Williams, Marshall, and a host of guys like Louis among others playing on a tender offer or 1 year contract, the answer is more likely the 100 million dollar question.

#88 rmoneyg35

rmoneyg35

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:18 PM

If I was Deangelo I wouldn't worry either. The guy is going to get paid big bucks when his contract is up whether or not its with the Panthers.

#89 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:14 PM

Up until this year we have been competitive and had plenty of veterans and paid the going rate. This year is different. We went on the cheap. Whether it is a bad product on the field remains to be seen. It might be better or worse.

But if it is better you can chalk it up to Hurney and the coaching staff not Richardson. All he has done is give them a handicapping budget in their last year.

very true. i want to say that i also think that richardson has never been cheap before, and i have nothing but the upmost respect for the guy. but, we are definately on the cheap this year.

I'm thinking that since jerry is so involved in the NFL that he already knows what the owners have agreed to lay on the table. i think we are seeing these cuts, because the new salary-cap in 2011 or 2012 will be at least 20% what it has been up until this year. my best guess is that he is preparing the team to be competitive under the new rules that he possibly knows are coming up.

but anyway, i just wanted to clear up anything bad i might have said about richardson yesterday. we wouldnt be on this messageboard typing to each other if it werent for him. I'm sure that he has a plan in that mind of his, and i do thing that after a season or two of experience, these young guys that we have will be pretty good anyways.

#90 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:29 PM

You gotta start somewhere. We are rebuilding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com