Photo
- - - - -

Better Secondary:Panthers or Saints?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Better Secondary (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Better Secondary

1. Panthers (26 votes [70.27%])

Percentage of vote: 70.27%

2. Saints (11 votes [29.73%])

Percentage of vote: 29.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,437 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

Well several of the previous posters said it depended on the safety play. So there.

eh, what do they know?

#17 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:01 PM

Well, honestly, I think you kinda have to give it to the Saints. Sure we did pretty well against he pass last year, but the situations both had to endure were completely different. We had extreme problems stopping the run early last year, so our stats are always going to be a bit skewed.

We have one unknown in Martin, Godfrey who everyone wants to destroy, Gamble and Marshall who most think has under performed. When the Saints secondary was healthy, they were genuinely very good, just that they were rarely healthy. They fixed this with two high picks in the last two drafts on the secondary. Our secondary has only lost players...

#18 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,437 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:06 PM

Well, honestly, I think you kinda have to give it to the Saints. Sure we did pretty well against he pass last year, but the situations both had to endure were completely different. We had extreme problems stopping the run early last year, so our stats are always going to be a bit skewed.

We have one unknown in Martin, Godfrey who everyone wants to destroy, Gamble and Marshall who most think has under performed. When the Saints secondary was healthy, they were genuinely very good, just that they were rarely healthy. They fixed this with two high picks in the last two drafts on the secondary. Our secondary has only lost players...

Have you seen the Saints run defense? try again

#19 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,437 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:10 PM

and i keep hearing uncertainty with our safteties (even though one has started and showed improvement, and the other played well in his debut w/ Chris Harris out), is there not uncertainty with Darren Sharper? did he not just come off on knee surgery?

Edited by Dpantherman, 07 June 2010 - 03:18 PM.

#20 SteveSmithTD89

SteveSmithTD89

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:12 PM

I mean to be fair, the saints have to play Steve Smith twice a year.... Who wouldn't have a terrible secondary???? :D

#21 Swarly

Swarly

MichaelJordanLaughing.gif

• HUDDLER
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:12 PM

and i keep hearing uncertainty, is there not uncertainty with Darren Sharper? did he not just come off on knee surgery?

yea there is, but one thing the Saints have for certain is a legitimate pass rush. we don't(although like I said, potential is there.)

secondary talent doesn't matter when the QB has absolutely zero pressure on him.

#22 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,383 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:13 PM

BOTH Saints safetys made the Pro Bowl, one as a starter.

http://www.nfl.com/p...ts&confirm=true

thanks for bringing a popularity contest into this debate. That is the facts we needed to clear up any misunderstanding!:rolleyes:

#23 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:14 PM

poll unnecessary

That's what she said. :(

and i keep hearing uncertainty, is there not uncertainty with Darren Sharper? did he not just come off on knee surgery?

There was uncertainty surrounding Sharper before last season. I'm just sayin'.

#24 X-Clown

X-Clown

Positive Polly

• HUDDLER
  • 5,166 posts

BOTH Saints safetys made the Pro Bowl, one as a starter.

http://www.nfl.com/p...ts&confirm=true

So I suppose that John Stinchcomb, who also made the Pro Bowl, is better than Jeff Otah because Otah did not make the Pro Bowl. I guess Johnathan Vilma being voted to the Pro Bowl ahead of Jon Beason makes him a better player also.

Edited by X-Clown, 07 June 2010 - 03:17 PM.

#25 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,383 posts
  • LocationGalveston

OK, I don't want to see any more posts saying D-Will is a Pro-Bowler then. :rolleyes:

was this your whole point? gawd, you bring much weak sauce to our forum.

#26 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,437 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

That's what she said. :(

There was uncertainty surrounding Sharper before last season. I'm just sayin'.

i get u man. but hes another year older, and coming off surgery. to me there was no need to worry when he left the Vikings.

#27 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:20 PM

Have you seen the Saints run defense? try again

That is not the point, the point is we were struggling against the run, losing a lot and had an anaemic offence, teams did not need to pass against us. I think almost everyone here would agree that at the beginning of last season our secondary was rarely tested.

On the other hand NO were a free scoring offensive juggernaut that could do both run and pass. they put a lot of pressure on teams to score and score quickly, meaning teams HAD to pass on them.

As I stated, I was talking about the situations both teams faced.

If you have issues with Sharper, then you HAVE to have issues with both Godfrey and Martin, beyond them we have NO ONE. NO have their starters (who were very impressive) at CB, their starters at safety AND two first round picks as back up.

Come on now, look at things a little deeper and don't look at the Panthers as the team you defend to the death. Just be objective.

#28 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,437 posts

yea there is, but one thing the Saints have for certain is a legitimate pass rush. we don't(although like I said, potential is there.)

secondary talent doesn't matter when the QB has absolutely zero pressure on him.

see I really hate this argument, bc our pass rush BLOWED even w/ Pep. I've said this under so many threads im beginning to sound like a broken record. we were near the bottom of the league in QB sacks. and most of those were coverage sacks.

#29 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,437 posts

im not making this stuff up folks

#30 Swarly

Swarly

MichaelJordanLaughing.gif

• HUDDLER
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:23 PM

see I really hate this argument, bc our pass rush BLOWED even w/ Pep. I've said this under so many threads im beginning to sound like a broken record. we were near the bottom of the league in QB sacks. and most of those were coverage sacks.

he still pushed through the line forcing the QB to throw the ball quicker than he'd like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.