deserves it's own thread.
OTA report 6/8/10
Just some random observations-If you want more dirt, ask and i will deliver.
1. I had an unexpected chat with Richard Marshall. He said he is signing his tender today. He did most of the talking. He is a little frustrated, but he seemed happy that his standoff is over (he practiced). I don't know what this means. He agreed that it was bad luck to be coming into a second contract at this time. I told him that he was doing the right thing by going forward, and that he didn't need distractions. He agreed. Very Nice guy. The topic surprised me, but he brought it up. You could tell that it has been weighing on him. Surprised that he chose me to confide in.
2. Schwartz said he could play guard or OT, but he said he really wanted to play, so he is going hard after the RG spot. Duke Robinson might be one of the stories yet untold. He looked fast and agile to me. Gross looks thinner, Otah too. Otah was upbeat and talkative, mainly about the weather. What a huge man.
3. The WR depth was: 1) Smith, Jarrett; 2) K. Moore, Martin; 3) Edwards, Lafell. Look for that to change. Lafell looked good. His speed looked good, his blocking looked very good. He is a bit cocky, but shared a crack to me about some idiot fan who was there. We laughed and he left. He has the confidence. Jarrett and Smith got into an argument over alignment after a WR shift. In other words, does Jarrett know the playbook yet? Don't count out Moore.
4. Edwards had a good catch. He has tiny hands--he gave my son his gloves and my son could barely fit his hands in them (trying them on). Good news?: My son is nearly 6 feet tall. Bad news? He is an eighth grader. Doesn't really matter. Edwards is (and I was a huge skeptic) a special athlete. He told me that he was focusing on the route running, which seemed to be the big thing for him, but he got great separation on out routes. He is a lot like SS, but not there yet. SS caught a ball vs. Marshall and ran toward us. I couldn't tackle his shadow.
5. Gettis was smart and articulate when we spoke. He seemed determined. He is big!! Says he will make the team as a WR or ST--whatever he has to do. I was impressed with him.
6. Williams, Bernadeau, Schwartz, Robinson--all good enough to start--somewhere else.
7. The best QB I saw was--Hunter Cantwell. He seems to get it. He was running with the second team, Clausen with the third. Afterwards, Clausen was disgruntled. Moore had the worst performance of the day, throwing about 3 balls that were picked off or should have been. I think that Moore and Clausen are not friends and never will be. THey never spoke. Back to Cantwell--I would take him over Pike at this point, which isn't fair to Pike.
8. On Defense T, Tyler and Leonard seem solid--Tyler is wide. Irvin--I was not impressed, but his quickness is above average. Ed Johnson--He could be a run stopper. I said it before, the DT from Temple (Nesbett?)will find a spot--at least on the PS.
9. DE is interesting. Charles Johnson has taken on more of a leadership role. After practice he told me that this would be his year. I told him it should be-the door is open. E. Brown is as humble as ever, but fast and heavier. He is looking more like Indy DEs. Hardy seems to be a head case. He has a permanent pout on his face and is not pleasant. Could be the hazing (I saw McGlover go after Jenkins until he realized it was Jenkins, and then walk away pissed while Jenkins smiled). He is a tremendous looking athlete, however. Worth the risk. I think the DL hazes the young ones harder than other units.
10. I talked to Norwood a bit, and he said that he is a LB. He said he will have his hand down in some situations. He said they are going to move him around like they did at SC--They are going to Turn him loose. He has the look.
11. TD had to leave the field with a trainer. He seemed pissed, but was not limping.
12. Connor was behind Beason. That has to be the best 2 MLBs in football. Did not see J. WIlliams. Anderson talked as if the SLB spot is his. He really seemed excited about it. I have trouble with it, but he is a class guy and will give 100%.
13. Pugh looked very smart, reading run and reacting quickly. Good speed. I was impressed with our safeties. Martin is pumped, ready to go, Godrey and he are tight.
14. CB-Munnerlyn is excited, Gamble is now a veteran, and Marshall is out of the woods. CJ Wilson looked good at times. Didn't see the 7th rounders do much, but i was distracted at times.
15. Overall, THe morale seems to be higher than during OTAs last year. There are more competitions for spots, and the players sprinted from one station to the next. These were differences I noticed from last season.
16. They were running some four wide sets. Personnel varied.
17. Overall, this team is fast and young. The coaching staff is the best I have ever seen it. These kids are getting coached up. Lot of new energy out there and they all seem determined and hungry. Can you say, "Under the
look forward to seeing more like this.
thanks for it.