Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official Huddle Beer Thread

982 posts in this topic

Posted

Nice! I've only had probably around 15% of that list, but then I haven't tried to seek out any of those specifically.

Just last week I had two beers from the list -- Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald and Ballast Point Sculpin -- at Vinter Wine Market (which is an awesome place, if you haven't been).

Great Lakes just recently increased their distribution. I hadn't seen it anywhere since I left Chicago 3 years ago until about 3-4 months ago, now I can find it at every specialty beer store in DC. Edmund Fitzgerald, Elliot Ness, and Dortmunder Gold are my favorites. Dortmunder is great if you want to drink a lot, not too heavy, very smooth.

Posted

Great Lakes just recently increased their distribution. I hadn't seen it anywhere since I left Chicago 3 years ago until about 3-4 months ago, now I can find it at every specialty beer store in DC. Edmund Fitzgerald, Elliot Ness, and Dortmunder Gold are my favorites. Dortmunder is great if you want to drink a lot, not too heavy, very smooth.

Yeah, they just entered the Charlotte market a couple months ago. The other night I got to enjoy their Lake Erie Monster double IPA. That was a very, very good beer.

Posted

Miller Lite!!

Posted

I've been liking Flying Dog lately and there is always Highland.

flying.jpg

image_8526780.jpg

I like IPAs can you tell? Not a big wheat beer fan, I don't like sweet beer. I prefer bitter beer.

Posted

Highland is the brewery that got me into craft beer. I first tried their Oatmeal Porter while going to school in Asheville, and a whole new world opened up for me.

That being said, I do not enjoy their Kashmir IPA that much. It's not bad, I just expected a bit more hop flavor. It's almost like it's an English IPA.

But give me a Highland Oatmeal Porter, Black Mocha Stout or St. Terese's Pale Ale and I'm a happy man. :)

2 people like this

Posted

Black Mocha Stout

This is their one beer I don't like as much. They're alright but are definitely my last choice in the sampler pack.

Posted

This is their one beer I don't like as much. They're alright but are definitely my last choice in the sampler pack.

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at the Grove Park Inn at Asheville last month. I ordered room service of a seven-layer chocolate cake, vanilla ice cream and a Highland Black Mocha Stout.

It was divine. :D

Posted

if it's cold....I'll drink any beer at least once!

Posted

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at the Grove Park Inn at Asheville last month. I ordered room service of a seven-layer chocolate cake, vanilla ice cream and a Highland Black Mocha Stout.

It was divine. :D

That would be a good time for that sort of beer. It tastes "desserty" to me if you get my drift.

Posted

That would be a good time for that sort of beer. It tastes "desserty" to me if you get my drift.

Oh most definitely. Some people just aren't into the sweeter/maltier beers, and that's cool. You might prefer an imperial stout. They often have some sweetness going on, but they are also more bitter and have a stronger roasted character than a regular stout.

The Old Rasputin I posted earlier is one of my favorites of that style.

Posted

I'll look into them.

Posted

Dos Equis! Mmmmmmm Beer.