• Please log in to reply
976 replies to this topic

#16 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,993 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

Kinda liking Sierra Nevada Summer Ale right now.

Which is quite the opposite of the Winter Celebration Beer. Ouch

#17 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,312 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:45 AM

Everytime I see one of these threads, I remember a beer I had at this bar in Raleigh called Red Wolf on Hillsborough St. back in 1998. It was a Nut Brown micro-brew. Fricking delish, one of the best brews I have ever had. Then I ruined the flavor by going to Canteen and drinking $.50 piss water.

#18 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:50 AM

Which is quite the opposite of the Winter Celebration Beer. Ouch

I love the Sierra Nevada Celebration. I buy a case every winter. :)

If you're not accustomed to IPAs, however, I can bet it would be a bit off-putting.

Everytime I see one of these threads, I remember a beer I had at this bar in Raleigh called Red Wolf on Hillsborough St. back in 1998. It was a Nut Brown micro-brew. Fricking delish, one of the best brews I have ever had. Then I ruined the flavor by going to Canteen and drinking $.50 piss water.

Yeah, brown ales are another great style for those just getting into craft beer. You can't go wrong with Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale.

#19 faultlessjoint

faultlessjoint

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:06 AM

Huddle beer thread = bad for my productivity.

Right now, I'm currently on a quest to drink every beer on Beeradvocate's Top 100. For those that don't know beeradvocate is a website about beer (no poo!). It is one of two leading beer review websites, the other being ratebeer. For my money's worth (as well as other beer heads i know) beeradvocate blows ratebeer out of the water in terms of its reviews and user base.

Anyways, any user can go there and rate a beer using a 1-5 scale and can include a description. They also have a staff that writes separate reviews. So far, I've found that if a beer has 100 or more reviews I almost always agree with the rating. Since discovering beeradvocate the quality of beer I drink has increased 10-fold.

New beer I've never heard of? Pull out my droid and look that poo up. I hate to sound like a commercial for some website, but it really is top notch and you'll never waste money on pooty beer again.

So yeah, at this point I've had about 50% of the top 100. http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers

#20 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:12 AM

Have sierra nevada, yuengling and magic hat hefeweissen in my fridge right now.... yum...

#21 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:15 AM

Huddle beer thread = bad for my productivity.

Right now, I'm currently on a quest to drink every beer on Beeradvocate's Top 100.

Nice! I've only had probably around 15% of that list, but then I haven't tried to seek out any of those specifically.

Just last week I had two beers from the list -- Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald and Ballast Point Sculpin -- at Vinter Wine Market (which is an awesome place, if you haven't been).

#22 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,993 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:20 AM

I love IPA's and that poo is poop

#23 TerriblePizza

TerriblePizza

Bringin dat Gamecock swag

• HUDDLER
  • 2,221 posts
  • LocationCamden, SC

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:21 AM

My favorites right now are all RJ Rocker's beers. They're a small brewery here in Spartanburg (which you guys ought to try out when you come down for training camp).

Their good summer beer is Son of a Peach, a wheat beer made with peaches:

http://1.bp.blogspot...on of peach.bmp

Another one of my favorites is Fish Paralyzer, a high gravity coming in at 7.5%:

Posted Image

And my personal favorite is the Spartanburg Stout:

Posted Image

#24 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:24 AM

I love IPA's and that poo is poop

We'll have to agree to disagree. I love that stuff and look forward to it every year. :P

My favorites right now are all RJ Rocker's beers. They're a small brewery here in Spartanburg (which you guys ought to try out when you come down for training camp).

I'll be sure to do that. I haven't had any of their beers yet, but I've heard good things.

#25 faultlessjoint

faultlessjoint

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:32 AM

Nice! I've only had probably around 15% of that list, but then I haven't tried to seek out any of those specifically.

Just last week I had two beers from the list -- Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald and Ballast Point Sculpin -- at Vinter Wine Market (which is an awesome place, if you haven't been).

Great Lakes just recently increased their distribution. I hadn't seen it anywhere since I left Chicago 3 years ago until about 3-4 months ago, now I can find it at every specialty beer store in DC. Edmund Fitzgerald, Elliot Ness, and Dortmunder Gold are my favorites. Dortmunder is great if you want to drink a lot, not too heavy, very smooth.

#26 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:34 AM

Great Lakes just recently increased their distribution. I hadn't seen it anywhere since I left Chicago 3 years ago until about 3-4 months ago, now I can find it at every specialty beer store in DC. Edmund Fitzgerald, Elliot Ness, and Dortmunder Gold are my favorites. Dortmunder is great if you want to drink a lot, not too heavy, very smooth.

Yeah, they just entered the Charlotte market a couple months ago. The other night I got to enjoy their Lake Erie Monster double IPA. That was a very, very good beer.

#27 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,682 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:43 AM

Miller Lite!!

#28 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:53 AM

I've been liking Flying Dog lately and there is always Highland.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I like IPAs can you tell? Not a big wheat beer fan, I don't like sweet beer. I prefer bitter beer.

#29 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:11 AM

Highland is the brewery that got me into craft beer. I first tried their Oatmeal Porter while going to school in Asheville, and a whole new world opened up for me.

That being said, I do not enjoy their Kashmir IPA that much. It's not bad, I just expected a bit more hop flavor. It's almost like it's an English IPA.

But give me a Highland Oatmeal Porter, Black Mocha Stout or St. Terese's Pale Ale and I'm a happy man. :)

#30 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:15 AM

Black Mocha Stout

This is their one beer I don't like as much. They're alright but are definitely my last choice in the sampler pack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com