Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CBA agreement heats up as the NFLPA takes on the TV contract issue

32 posts in this topic

Posted

Rhys, you are taking a major interest in this, eh?

Haha yea, pretty stupid to me that the Vick's co-defendant thread has double the views and posts than this one which is a day older. :rolleyes:

Posted

Haha yea, pretty stupid to me that the Vick's co-defendant thread has double the views and posts than this one which is a day older. :rolleyes:

Well, you can always try to attract more views by starting a discussion on how Vick is overpaid or something. :P

Posted

Plus, many people don't even have the opportunity to go to college. If you're born into a small town with terrible schools and your parents do drugs or are never there for you it's going to be a veritable miracle for you to go to college and graduate.-1

I think we all agree on the fact that athletes are overpaid, but regardless of that, it seems like you guys are taking for granted that the owners will not be spending this extra money for some divine purpose. When you concentrate most of the profits, profits that are well WELL over the operating costs, in a handful of billionaire/millionaires that money is not going to be getting back into the economy anytime soon. - 2

You can boo-hoo all you want over Brandon Marshall and Julius Peppers, and let me re-iterate, I also WHOLLY believe they are ridiculously overpaid, but compared to people like Paul Allen (owner of the Seahawks) who is worth something like 14 BILLION, 14-18 million a year sounds like a paltry sum. Granted, I think an entrepreneur like Allen should make more money Peppers, but having 14 billion in your name is just sickeningly rich, it's embarrassingly rich.

Isn't the owner's lack of transparency on their finances not a clear indication that they're hiding something? - 3

As I said, to me the whole situation is loathsome. Maybe I'm just a hopeless sympathetic with this country as a whole, but I find it disturbing that the owners and the NFLPA are squabbling over the extra millions to be had while everyone around them suffers in a depression.

But they don't care, especially the owners, because if there IS a lockout in 2011, they'll still be making a healthy profit on their investment. Who the f*ck cares if they rob the country of it's favorite sport for a year, all the while steadily increasing their own sick fortunes. Give me a f*cking break... - 4

1. ever hear of working hard in high school and getting a scholarship? lots of jobs (including UPS entry level supervisors) offer to pay for their workers college.

2. considering these billionaires employee thousands of workers and invest all of their money (banks can only insure up to 100k in an account) into stocks and what not, they actually put pretty much all their money into the economy. also, they pay way more taxes.

3. u ever hear of any company willing to just open its books up for people to look at? i know many people who wont even tell what their salary is.

4. theres more football players than superstars. scabs will fill in.

and about what u said earlier about me bitching about the truckers.

a.) i could have done that, but i'd rather actually have an interesting day job.

b.) these guys dont drive trucks all day. because of the unions they are really stuck up about hours (considering its a salary based position). the guys i was talking to only drive about 4 hours a night, and drop the truck off at the next ups hub.

c.) realize this, there are many union workers in the automobile industry making $70 an hour. do u think that has an effect on how shitty american cars are? or how overpriced they are, especially new? if u dropped their wages to something reasonable it would have a substantial impact on the price of cars.

Posted

a.) i could have done that, but i'd rather actually have an interesting day job.

b.) these guys dont drive trucks all day. because of the unions they are really stuck up about hours (considering its a salary based position). the guys i was talking to only drive about 4 hours a night, and drop the truck off at the next ups hub.

c.) realize this, there are many union workers in the automobile industry making $70 an hour. do u think that has an effect on how shitty american cars are? or how overpriced they are, especially new? if u dropped their wages to something reasonable it would have a substantial impact on the price of cars.

But you weren't talking about just UPS drivers. You insinuated all truck drivers. For some reason, I happen to know a few truck drivers, and they drive their 12 hours, take their rest, then start again. This is negating any way to cut corners around that 12 hour limit, as well.

1 person likes this

Posted

1. ever hear of working hard in high school and getting a scholarship? lots of jobs (including UPS entry level supervisors) offer to pay for their workers college.

2. considering these billionaires employee thousands of workers and invest all of their money (banks can only insure up to 100k in an account) into stocks and what not, they actually put pretty much all their money into the economy. also, they pay way more taxes.

3. u ever hear of any company willing to just open its books up for people to look at? i know many people who wont even tell what their salary is.

4. theres more football players than superstars. scabs will fill in.

1.) Yes of course, because that's exactly what I did. But not every kid has that chance. You don't understand, kids born into poverty and violence, with broken homes, moving from school to school continuously can't just suddenly 'work hard' and 'get a scholarship.' That's a generic blanket statement so that you can point your finger at these people and say it's their fault they didn't go to college. In some cases it may be, and they may have had their chances, but I know just as many people that didn't deserve to go to college who did, and f*cked around the whole time, partying, doing drugs, and pissing their time away, just because their mommy and daddy were rich.

2.) Oh yea you're right, my bad. Poor rich people don't know what to do with all their money, they just put it into the stock market because there's no place else for it! Damn right, they should be paying way more taxes.

3.) No, not often. That's why CEO's can fly to Maui in private jets for 3 week long 'business' trips on our federal bailout money. Because, god forbid they open their books, people might have a problem with the way they're allocating their finances. Not to mention that early on in this I suggested that they open their books just to a select few in the NFLPA if they're concerned showing the public might do damage.

4.)Because that'll really appease the fans right?

Posted

Only a union mind would assert an arguement that an agreement between an employer and its vendor should be done with the consent of its employees.

If it wasnt important enough for the NFLPA to file a lawsuit to join the negotiations, then dont cry about the results now. Not that filing a lawsuit to negotiate the TV revenue deals would have looked any less ridiculous.

Posted

Only a union mind would assert an arguement that an agreement between an employer and its vendor should be done with the consent of its employees.

If it wasnt important enough for the NFLPA to file a lawsuit to join the negotiations, then dont cry about the results now. Not that filing a lawsuit to negotiate the TV revenue deals would have looked any less ridiculous.

Limiting it to the distributor and the vendor negates the most important component of the production process, the artist. In this case, the artist has the power to say "my nuts" and get his. More power to him.

Posted

The owners run the show...thats how it is.

If anything, the owners should give back to thier hosted city.

Pitty for the players...not so much.