Photo
- - - - -

F1 Fans: anyone see Webbers aerial display today?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 TheSaint

TheSaint

Lengthy Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:38 PM

ok, im probably the only F1 fan here, but damn. It was scary.

FIA will probably have this video down in a few hours...

#2 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:32 PM

Wow, Red Bull really does give you wings....

#3 Razzy

Razzy

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:58 AM

Damn! The combination of F1 and aerial in the title drew me in. Good thing the driver is ok. You can see that the safety features of the car/track/wall worked perfectly here, it could have been much worse.

#4 charlotte49er

charlotte49er

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:03 AM

That was scary! :eek: Glad he was OK.

#5 zebrainz

zebrainz

Puddytats

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:53 AM

If you read Webber's Wiki page, you'll find that he flipped his Mercedes twice in the preparation for the 1999 24 Hours of LeMans during practice and qualifying. The announcers remarked on it when he flipped today. I couldn't find video for that, but if it was anything like this video taken during that LeMans race... (same year, sister car to Webber's, same aerodynamic defect, different driver on the same team)

SMH, must be deja vu all over again for him. (crash starts at 30 sec)

#6 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,611 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:22 AM

I didn't see this wreck live or anything. A friend of mine showed it to me last night. When I first watched it, I wasn't nearly as impressed or in shock as my friend. It really didn't look very bad at all to me.

#7 mr beauxjangles

mr beauxjangles

Large Member

• HUDDLER
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:18 AM

I didn't see this wreck live or anything. A friend of mine showed it to me last night. When I first watched it, I wasn't nearly as impressed or in shock as my friend. It really didn't look very bad at all to me.

196 mph

#8 Miaoww

Miaoww

• HUDDLER
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:55 AM

Ah those things are tanks.

#9 TheSaint

TheSaint

Lengthy Member

• HUDDLER
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

2 things crossed my mind.

1. Glad he didnt fly into the grandstand.
2. Glad he didnt land in water.

he slammed into those tires hard as hell too.

Edited by TheSaint, 28 June 2010 - 10:03 AM.

#10 Miaoww

Miaoww

• HUDDLER
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

Like I said - the pods the drivers sit in are basically bullet proof. They're designed to withstand crashes like that - all the aerodynamic stuff on the car crumples like paper, but the pod the driver sits in is ridiculously tough.

#11 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,611 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:46 PM

196 mph

Those cars can withstand that pretty easily. And he didn't go 196mph and just stop. He was going MUCH slower when he hit the wall.

You always hear the "I can't believe he wasn't hurt" from announcers and such. But they say it every single time, and almost every time, they aren't hurt. Or at least have less than serious injuries.

#12 Implied Volatility

Implied Volatility

Evil Speculator

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

Yes, I saw the race yesterday ( I'm a big F1 fan) and that wreck scared the sh*t out of me when It happened. I thought for sure Webber would be hurt.

#13 Implied Volatility

Implied Volatility

Evil Speculator

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:25 PM

Those cars can withstand that pretty easily. And he didn't go 196mph and just stop. He was going MUCH slower when he hit the wall.

You always hear the "I can't believe he wasn't hurt" from announcers and such. But they say it every single time, and almost every time, they aren't hurt. Or at least have less than serious injuries.

That car was going at least 120mph when he hit the guard rail. Probably faster. That is a very hard sudden impact, even for an F1 car that is very safe. Those are the kind of impacts that can be the worst.

I don't always agree with the FIA, but It's been nearly 20 years since an F1 driver was killed in an accident(Ayrton Senna '94). So the FIA has done a great job in regards to safety.

#14 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,611 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:33 PM

That car was going at least 120mph when he hit the guard rail. Probably faster. That is a very hard sudden impact, even for an F1 car that is very safe. Those are the kind of impacts that can be the worst.

I don't always agree with the FIA, but It's been nearly 20 years since an F1 driver was killed in an accident(Ayrton Senna '94). So the FIA has done a great job in regards to safety.

The car was definitely going over 100 when it collided with the wall, but that really isn't a big deal with a wall that has that much give and can send the force to a very wide area. Especially with how well built the cars are these days.

But maybe I just don't know anything. :biggrin:

#15 Implied Volatility

Implied Volatility

Evil Speculator

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

The car was definitely going over 100 when it collided with the wall, but that really isn't a big deal with a wall that has that much give and can send the force to a very wide area. Especially with how well built the cars are these days.

But maybe I just don't know anything. :biggrin:

Maybe if I weren't a fan it wouldn't be a big deal to me. But I am, and I've seen drivers get serious injuries in wrecks that didn't even look bad. So when I see a wreck like this I expect the worst, and it amazes me when the driver just walks away.

Flying into the air going 180mph+, landing upside down(open cockpit), then slamming into a wall going 100mph+, and walking away without a scratch. That's amazing. Webber was out of the car and walking within 10secs after the wreck. He wasn't even limping or grimacing. It's a testament to just how safe these cars are. But still scary for me as a fan.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com