Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSaint

F1 Fans: anyone see Webbers aerial display today?

21 posts in this topic

Those cars can withstand that pretty easily. And he didn't go 196mph and just stop. He was going MUCH slower when he hit the wall.

You always hear the "I can't believe he wasn't hurt" from announcers and such. But they say it every single time, and almost every time, they aren't hurt. Or at least have less than serious injuries.

That car was going at least 120mph when he hit the guard rail. Probably faster. That is a very hard sudden impact, even for an F1 car that is very safe. Those are the kind of impacts that can be the worst.

I don't always agree with the FIA, but It's been nearly 20 years since an F1 driver was killed in an accident(Ayrton Senna '94). So the FIA has done a great job in regards to safety.

That car was going at least 120mph when he hit the guard rail. Probably faster. That is a very hard sudden impact, even for an F1 car that is very safe. Those are the kind of impacts that can be the worst.

I don't always agree with the FIA, but It's been nearly 20 years since an F1 driver was killed in an accident(Ayrton Senna '94). So the FIA has done a great job in regards to safety.

The car was definitely going over 100 when it collided with the wall, but that really isn't a big deal with a wall that has that much give and can send the force to a very wide area. Especially with how well built the cars are these days.

But maybe I just don't know anything. :biggrin:

The car was definitely going over 100 when it collided with the wall, but that really isn't a big deal with a wall that has that much give and can send the force to a very wide area. Especially with how well built the cars are these days.

But maybe I just don't know anything. :biggrin:

Maybe if I weren't a fan it wouldn't be a big deal to me. But I am, and I've seen drivers get serious injuries in wrecks that didn't even look bad. So when I see a wreck like this I expect the worst, and it amazes me when the driver just walks away.

Flying into the air going 180mph+, landing upside down(open cockpit), then slamming into a wall going 100mph+, and walking away without a scratch. That's amazing. Webber was out of the car and walking within 10secs after the wreck. He wasn't even limping or grimacing. It's a testament to just how safe these cars are. But still scary for me as a fan.

ok, im probably the only F1 fan here, but damn. It was scary.

FIA will probably have this video down in a few hours...

">

Webber had leg surgery not long ago didn't he?

Crazy, crazy crash.

Goes to show just how safe those cars are

Kubicas 2 years ago on canada was brutal...anyway, no matter how well the car is made, there is still a person strapped in the monocoque absorbing a lot of energy on impact.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e64_1181508083

Yeah, that was a very bad crash. Amazing he wasn't severely injured.

Video removed already. Anyone have another link?

Not a big F1 fan here, but I do watch when I get the opportunity. I miss the Shumacher domination days.

Here's another link.

1 person likes this