• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,458 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:20 AM

The Internet is not some single entity. The Federal government can't truly shut down the internet. They can only order internet service providers to shut off access. Would be interesting to see if all of them would comply.

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 07 July 2010 - 08:24 AM.

#17 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:44 AM

The Internet is not some single entity. The Federal government can't truly shut down the internet. They can only order internet service providers to shut off access. Would be interesting to see if all of them would comply.

Wrong. It already happened. We're not on it now. You're not even reading this. Didn't you read the thread title?!?

#18 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,338 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:46 AM

Obama's all for killing other businesses (see oil in Louisiana)....so what's a few internet businesses. They need regulating too....

#19 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,516 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:47 AM

They're just doing this so no one else can see Loose Change.

#20 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,966 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:49 AM

Most of this is about the government being able to isolate from foreign connections in the event of, say, a cyberattack from China, or preemptively disconnecting from a nation that we are about to attack for whatever reason.

I don't think Obama is going to wake up one day and decide to disallow CatOfWars access to hentai because he hates his freedomz.

#21 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

• HUDDLER
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:29 PM

yea i would truly be much more humbled to have a 73 year old nutjob and a woman who makes the average american look like a professor in office instead.

Heh, that would be cute if those were my candidates. :driving:

#22 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:42 PM

China can do this because they have maintained tight governmental control over the infrastructure that delivers the internet to its people. There is almost no way something like that could happen in this country. They could shut down certain segments -maybe- that were deemed "national security" but there is almost no way to "shut down" the internet in this country.

#23 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,458 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

China can do this because they have maintained tight governmental control over the infrastructure that delivers the internet to its people. There is almost no way something like that could happen in this country. They could shut down certain segments -maybe- that were deemed "national security" but there is almost no way to "shut down" the internet in this country.

Well, they would have to get every ISP to agree to do it. But if they could get the big one's to agree to it (time warner, att, etc...) they could shut most of it down.

The best way to do it would be to get the critical segments (government, finance etc...) to shut down their own internet access. For example, if the access is designed properly, a large institution could probably shut down all of its internet access in a few minutes by putting a drop all Access control list on the external routers or firewalls.

Of course, if my companies internet accessable sites were under some sort of attack, we would probably shut them down well before the government stepped in.

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 07 July 2010 - 12:54 PM.

#24 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,749 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:58 PM

So lemme get this straight... you're telling me it's not a series of tubes??

#25 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

• HUDDLER
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:02 PM

Duh, it's a net.

#26 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,458 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

So lemme get this straight... you're telling me it's not a series of tubes??

shhhh. We are trying to keep that a secret.

#27 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:27 PM

DDII- Even if they could convince/order Verizon (The largest Teir1 provider) to shut down it would take days or more. Their system is built to provide as close to uninterrupted service as humanly possible which means certainly hundreds, maybe thousands, and possibly ten thousand or more routers in data centers all over the country.

While it may be theoretically possible to shut them down I just cant imagine the logistics of actually doing it. Even if it wasn't a power down but a deny all policy its still hundreds of models of routers that require their own rules files.

It may well be possible but the nuts and bolts of it are truly mind boggling.

#28 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

• HUDDLER
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:46 PM

Al Gore has the power...he is it's Creator and Master...it will do his bidding.

#29 The Saltman

The Saltman

I have Returned

• Moderators
  • 24,884 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:50 PM

http://www.snopes.co...es/internet.asp

#30 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

• HUDDLER