Photo
- - - - -

Collage educated people are better off.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

#76 Niner National

Niner National

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

My degree in English is uber-awesome in my field. :lol:

ha same here. I majored in history and am now working in marketing.

#77 Mesmer

Mesmer

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:52 PM

I'm writing the cheques to App State so Ive got a pretty good idea of what it costs. With a dorm room, a parking pass, and the big meal plan my daughter would have to be in school for 9 years to hit 100k.

Personally, I find all the statistics a little silly. Saw them a lot in my financial planning class. "In 2020, college is going to cost right at about 50 billion dollars just for one semester"

I don't really buy it. FWIW I pay for mine

#78 Snake

Snake

Rivera did What???

HUDDLER

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:17 AM

I just think college has turned into a corporate business like everything else. They devise ways to keep you there as long as possible so they can increase there profit. Thus why it even takes people 4 years to complete at a tec school. I just don't understand why business don't see this and take advantage of it with apprenticeship programs. Free labor never hurt a business.

#79 davos

davos

€∞€∞€∞€

HUDDLER

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:56 PM

Thats all well and good. But take a teacher for example. It doesnt make sense to go to a 4 years to college for a job that pays $32,000 a year. Doctors, lawyers and engineers I can understand. If a degree in a field doesnt start you off in the high $40,000 to me it doesnt make sense to go for 4 years. The requirements for degrees is what gets me. Should be straight learning for that degree without any other classes. You could get the education you need for that field in lesser time.

That's fine and understandable. I was simply rebutting the point made that generalized college. The scenario you described is perfectly understandable.

its allgood

#80 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

HUDDLER

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:09 PM

ha same here. I majored in history and am now working in marketing.

Degrees in English or History, unless you're going to be a teacher/writer/researcher, are pretty much useless, IMO. Granted, a candidate with a college degree will get more consideration than another candidate without a degree. However, in so many professional workplaces these days, it's about your experience and skill set that will almost always be the bottom line.

As I said, I'm in the banking/finance field doing sales, so I'm working daily with numbers, calculations, mathematics, ROI, forecasting, etc... which all are totally unrelated to my degree.

But I still kick ass and take names. :lol:

#81 Snake

Snake

Rivera did What???

HUDDLER

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:01 PM

Degrees in English or History, unless you're going to be a teacher/writer/researcher, are pretty much useless, IMO. Granted, a candidate with a college degree will get more consideration than another candidate without a degree. However, in so many professional workplaces these days, it's about your experience and skill set that will almost always be the bottom line.

As I said, I'm in the banking/finance field doing sales, so I'm working daily with numbers, calculations, mathematics, ROI, forecasting, etc... which all are totally unrelated to my degree.

But I still kick ass and take names. :lol:

Which is...... Im gonna guess Rabble Rousing...... That or Male Hairdresser.:D