Photo
- - - - -

Micheal Lombardi breaks down the NFC, panthers included...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:33 AM

He feels were mediocre

Carolina Panthers: I told Panthers coach Jon Fox at the scouting combine this year that if he can win eight games with this team, then he should be coach of the decade, not of the year. He cordially laughed, but in that laugh I could sense a level of confidence that he would win at least eight games. But how can he win eight games with this roster? He lost his best rusher (Julius Peppers), and must rely on Everette Brown to fill the void. Furthermore, he has two offensive tackles coming off of injuries, he lost a starting linebacker in offseason camps, he does not have a dependable second wide receiver, he has two very young players at quarterback, and he has a coaching staff working on one-year deals, with no guarantee of his own future. Fox is an extremely good head coach who knows how to feature the strength of his team and play effective red-zone defense. Will that be enough to win eight games? Maybe, but not enough to be a playoff team

Although he does give credit to the 49ers for their late season run and seems impressed with Alex Smith. Yet he's skeptical of our late season run and Matt Moore. Seems a little inconsistent.

Overall though he did a good job though. Mainly because he didn't try to say anything that profound. Still better than these guys who spew doody that's 10x worse than what you could ever hear at the Barber shop.

#2 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,558 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:42 AM

Although he does give credit to the 49ers for their late season run and seems impressed with Alex Smith. Yet he's skeptical of our late season run and Matt Moore. Seems a little inconsistent.

Smith was a #1 overall pick. That always inflates people's evaluations of a QB. The logic is that since he was drafted first overall, he has to be good, right?

Right? :sosp:

Heck, even here, when we got David Carr there were people who were dead certain he'd be the guy we needed. One of the most often cited reasons was "he was a #1 overall pick".

#3 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:49 AM

It does mean a little bit but after 5 years they've got to calm it down. I feel like they don't do it so much because they think they're talented, I think they just want to see the guys succeed really badly after the media circus that made and destroyed them.

#4 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,558 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:52 AM

Honestly, to me the only thing it means to me is that somebody made a huge mistake in their evaluations.

#5 DickolausJ

DickolausJ

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:40 AM

Alex smith has been around, teams know his strength and weaknessess. Matt Moore is a relatively new commodity.

The problem I have with Smith it that team basically runs the spread offense so Alex can play.

With Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Vernon Davis, Arnez Battle, Ted Gin Jr. not to mention Frank Gore and Glenn Coffee and a much improved O-line that O better put up big points and win the division.

If a quarterback can't win that division with that talent then he needs to leave the NFL. Plus their defense aint to shabby either.

#6 Baschski

Baschski

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:13 PM

Everette Brown isn't even a starter right now. Dude obviously doesn't know much about our team.

#7 southcakalac

southcakalac

Wharton Fan Club

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:29 PM

How is Gross coming along? Anyone know?

#8 Cracka McNasty

Cracka McNasty

WWNPHD?

• HUDDLER
  • 3,689 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:58 PM

i can accept his assessment of the panthers. it wasn't too much and it wasn't too little. he projects us at a very reasonable place - around 8-8. he nodded to the fact that fox has confidence in this bunch, and his question marks are warranted questions, who will the new pass rush be and how will our young QBs handle everything?

reasonable projection.

#9 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,274 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

That might be "reasonable" but I do think the Panthers will surprise a lot of people.

And, no one is giving Moore the credit he deserves. That's ok...he can surprise some defenses too.

#10 KBRed

KBRed

Scooter Swag

• HUDDLER
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:52 PM

I honestly think Everette will surprise some people also.

#11 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,557 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:56 PM

I hope his size will help him this year. He will need to be able to bull rush as well as use that spin move he used last year to little effect.

#12 Mother Grabber

Mother Grabber

Gettlemagic 2.0

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,983 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:17 PM

The media has loved to stroke Fox's balls his entire tenure here. I bought into it for a while, but exactly what has he done to deserve being called an excellent coach?

#13 DudeNamedJeremy

DudeNamedJeremy

That's what she said.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:19 PM

don't you dare question fox. jake gives us our best chance to win

#14 CBDellinger

CBDellinger

CAMdamonium!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:22 PM

don't you dare question fox. jake gives us our best chance to win

:D

#15 KatsAzz

KatsAzz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:37 AM

I agree.With Everetts non-stop ,motor,great attitute,coupled with his speed and added strengh,i look for him to excel this year.

Edited by KatsAzz, 18 July 2010 - 07:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com