Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zod

Huge....

157 posts in this topic

I honestly believe some people don't know how to eat right. Just saying eat fruit instead of chips doesn't cut it. Red apples and grapes are loaded with sugar.

Several small meals instead of three meals. Oranges and grapefruit boost metabolism.

Eating healthy is expensive. Our grocery bill has more than doubled.

Don't even get me started on the crap they feed kids at school. It's disgusting.

People have the right to be however the fnck they wanna be.

/story

Obesity is now the #2 killer in the completely preventable category right behind smoking. I imagine it will take over smoking within the next decade.

Obesity is now the #2 killer in the completely preventable category right behind smoking. I imagine it will take over smoking within the next decade.

So when Obesity takes the #1 Spot, I can feel better about Smoking? Thank God....I thought nothing was ever going to be worse than Smoking. Eat Up Fatty's!! Maybe once Obesity takes the #1 Spot we can make a special section like the good old days of Non-Smoking or Smoking. But then after a few years we would have to Ban Obese People all together in bars. Hey I heard Winston used a line about "smoking to help lose weight" back in the day? That could bring smoking back up to #1 with Obesity......Fat Smokers!

Smugness, however, is unjustifiably way down on the list of leading causes of death.

http://abcfamily.go.com/shows/huge

I think we have hit rock bottom. We now have a TV show based around being obese, and being proud of it. I think this is the absolute wrong message that needs to be out there to our kids.

Look at that girl on the front page. She is obese. She eats too much. She does not have to live like that if she had a bit of self control.

Being obese is not acceptable. Its not a disease. It is unhealthy and undesirable and ends up costing all of us as a society in the long run.

To be fair, some obesity is caused by disease or illness. Note that I say "some."

Not really. There is no illness that will create more calories than you can burn. Some diseases do slow your metabolism, but that only means you need not eat as much.

The gastric bypass works in 100% of patients. Everyone loses weight. Not because some disease is cured, but because it forces people to stop eating. People should skip the surgery, and just do the diet you have to do after the surgery and they would get the exact same result.

1 person likes this

I can only agree with 50% of what you are saying Zodllian Michaels.

I fall into the category that you speak of and have been slowly adjusting my diet and excercise regime. Calories in vs calories out. Works for me and I'm not killing myself on a diet and eat what I want but smaller portions. Nothing pisses me off more to see someone borderline diabetic easting poo that will eventually kill them.

That being said some people have a mental disorder ie a food addiction not self control issues. Just like drugs,smoking, sex, and a long list of other vices people can be addicted to anything. Some find comfort in food and it fills an emotion like drugs, sex, alcohol.

1 person likes this

Yeah, food is the tough one. You can't just completely give it up and walk away. And food brings with it a ton of other issues (no pun intended) beyond just calories and content.

We are a society of wealth beyond any idea of wealth held before. Part of that wealth is shown in our access to, and variety of, food. We eat it, we celebrate it, we waste it, we sell it, we advertise it, we give it away. It is ingrained into our society like no other society before ours -- no one has ever had the access to cheap, easy, plentiful food that we do.

And so we overindulge to the point where gluttony becomes standard fare, the regular day to day eating mantra. Three solid meals a day is what we all expect along with snacks and treats whenever we want. Now, couple it with our instant gratification mindset and the science of marketing.

You're going to create porkers like me. Add in 300 TV channels, computer games, air conditioning and a whole host of things that are more fun than going outside and exercising and well, you get the picture.

I'm immensely fat. I don't have a disease. I don't have a condition.

What I do have, however, is a problem telling myself no.

I'm getting over that.

Eating healthy is expensive. Our grocery bill has more than doubled.

I don't know that it's expensive, it's just that eating junk is just so cheap. I can go grab a Frozen Pizza for $2.88 at the grocery store.

What's sad is that has a lot to do with how the large agricultural companies have gotten such generous subsidies while small farmers have been subjected to market forces.

Its good you are working on it and you recognize its a problem. Thats not why I started this thread.

I am afraid that its becoming acceptable and a social norm to be obese. Thats not a good thing.