• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:04 AM

Apologies for a Matt Moore thread, but I just have to get this off my chest...

I keep hearing all of these criticisms and most of them I feel are weak at best.

He's only played 8 games in the NFL. He's unproven.

This is a valid point. He's far from a seasoned vet. But he's 6-2 in those games with a 96.6 rating. What more could you ask of this guy?

The entire team was playing well during that 2009 hot steak. It's easy to play QB when your defense and run game are hot.

It's also easy to run the ball and play good defense when your QB isn't turning the ball over 3 times a game.

He's only started when the Panthers were out of the playoffs. It's easy to play well when you have nothing to lose.

This is true, but 5 of the teams he's played against were in playoff contention. They had plenty to lose. Usually these hot teams fighting for the playoffs in December steamroll past the powderpuffs who have nothing to play for. That didn't really happen with Moore, he went 3-2 with a rating of 101.76.

Now that he's played enough NFL teams will have plenty of tape to watch. His job will be much harder, remember Derek Anderson?

Anderson was always a hot/cold QB, it was the media that hyped him up. He folded against quality competition and padded his stats against poor competition.

I also have a hard time believing that a big reason he's been so successful is because he's taken so few snaps. NFL defenses victimize QBs that are put in Moore's position all year long.

I think if he was as poor a QB as Derek Anderson he would have shown it when he was thrust into the starting lineup as an undrafted rookie.

I keep hearing about Alex Smith/Kevin Kolb and how they're ready to take the next step.

Matt Moore goes 4-1 putting up pro-bowl numbers against teams such as the Vikings, Giants, and New England. We get comments like "they don't have a quarterback".

I remember Tony Romo's debut in 2006 with ESPN tripping over themselves to give this guy a BJ after he put up gaudy QB ratings against powder puff teams like Tampa Bay and Washington. If Matt Moore was a Cowboy, wow.

Moore's future is uncertain but he hasn't given any reason for anybody to doubt him. I'm just tired of hearing analysts downplay him because they don't know his name.

If/when he lights it up this year we'll here them say "Where'd this guy come from?" when really he was right in front of them the whole time.

#2 AKPantherFan

AKPantherFan

Cam Can....Can you???

• HUDDLER
  • 5,015 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:39 AM

I keep hearing all of these criticisms and most of them I feel are weak at best.

This is a valid point. He's far from a seasoned vet. But he's 6-2 in those games with a 96.6 rating. What more could you ask of this guy?

The entire team was playing well during that 2009 hot steak. It's easy to play QB when your defense and run game are hot.

It's also easy to run the ball and play good defense when your QB isn't turning the ball over 3 times a game.

He's only started when the Panthers were out of the playoffs. It's easy to play well when you have nothing to lose.

This is true, but 5 of the teams he's played against were in playoff contention. They had plenty to lose. Usually these hot teams fighting for the playoffs in December steamroll past the powderpuffs who have nothing to play for. That didn't really happen with Moore, he went 3-2 with a rating of 101.76.

Now that he's played enough NFL teams will have plenty of tape to watch. His job will be much harder, remember Derek Anderson?

Anderson was always a hot/cold QB, it was the media that hyped him up. He folded against quality competition and padded his stats against poor competition.

I also have a hard time believing that a big reason he's been so successful is because he's taken so few snaps. NFL defenses victimize QBs that are put in Moore's position all year long.

I think if he was as poor a QB as Derek Anderson he would have shown it when he was thrust into the starting lineup as an undrafted rookie.

I keep hearing about Alex Smith/Kevin Kolb and how they're ready to take the next step.

Matt Moore goes 4-1 putting up pro-bowl numbers against teams such as the Vikings, Giants, and New England. We get comments like "they don't have a quarterback".

I remember Tony Romo's debut in 2006 with ESPN tripping over themselves to give this guy a BJ after he put up gaudy QB ratings against powder puff teams like Tampa Bay and Washington. If Matt Moore was a Cowboy, wow.

Moore's future is uncertain but he hasn't given any reason for anybody to doubt him. I'm just tired of hearing analysts downplay him because they don't know his name.

If/when he lights it up this year we'll here them say "Where'd this guy come from?" when really he was right in front of them the whole time.

You know what that means this season? = NOTHING

Now MattMoore has ALL the pressure....

Teams will watch film and take him seriously.....

He wont get too many freebies (i.e. Saints last year)

How many games could he be the man who comes from behind to win?

I am putting ALL my faith in Moore, but for ANYONE to sit here and pretend that he is the next FC QB is just ignorant....

If you disagree with me go ask John Fox wht they just drafted 2 QB's......

Moore is a game manager, but anyone who is fan of football would like to see more...

Things are different when they KNOW you are serious and trying to win....

This season will not be easy....

Just sit back, relax, and be happy for the outcome....

#3 coxc63

coxc63

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:38 AM

Bro he was a cowboy, but that didn't last long. Romo shined and they threw him aside. Yea all the talk is ridiculous especially after the way he has performed as a starter. But he's a low key kinda guy, he has earned the starting job and who knows if he will be the franchise QB that we have been waiting for. Only time will tell. Hell Clausen can be a bust and where does that leave us if that's the case. Wasting another high round draft pick on an unproven QB.

The scheme that our offense is ran doesn't need a flashy media ***** for a QB, we just need a game manager and Matt fits that role. He's not the greatest QB to play the game but he's not the worst either. He's above average at best and if Clausen is the next "Joe Montana" then so be it, we got a steal in the 2nd round.

I believe that Moore could lead this team and win a SB, only if our D can gel. Not saying that will happen this year (I'm not sure if we have the right pieces to be a contender) but if it happens I'm sure this forum will crash repetitively for about 2 weeks.

#4 Jangler

Jangler

a head full of candy corn

• HUDDLER
  • 47,540 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:12 AM

Chuck Norris Facts should be retitled Matt Moore Facts If He Were A Wimp.

#5 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,620 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:20 AM

I am a fan and glad to see Moore get a shot.I never understood why Jake was not jerked earlier.Having said that, I believe he will be on a short rope.With fox contract in its final year everyone will be on a short rope.

#6 Jangler

Jangler

a head full of candy corn

• HUDDLER
  • 47,540 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:20 AM

I am putting ALL my faith in Moore, but for ANYONE to sit here and pretend that he is the next FC QB is just ignorant....

If you disagree with me go ask John Fox wht they just drafted 2 QB's......

Just because they are getting ready to give Clausen a contract doesn't mean much to me. If MM has an MVP type season, do really think they will just let him go and use him as trade bait? Give up a proven QB on an unknown? Not to compare the two situations, but where is Cassel and where is Brady?

Edited by Jangler, 28 July 2010 - 06:26 AM.

#7 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,955 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:29 AM

Bro he was a cowboy, but that didn't last long. Romo shined and they threw him aside. Yea all the talk is ridiculous especially after the way he has performed as a starter. But he's a low key kinda guy, he has earned the starting job and who knows if he will be the franchise QB that we have been waiting for. Only time will tell. Hell Clausen can be a bust and where does that leave us if that's the case. Wasting another high round draft pick on an unproven QB.

The scheme that our offense is ran doesn't need a flashy media ***** for a QB, we just need a game manager and Matt fits that role. He's not the greatest QB to play the game but he's not the worst either. He's above average at best and if Clausen is the next "Joe Montana" then so be it, we got a steal in the 2nd round.

I believe that Moore could lead this team and win a SB, only if our D can gel. Not saying that will happen this year (I'm not sure if we have the right pieces to be a contender) but if it happens I'm sure this forum will crash repetitively for about 2 weeks.

Bro..you are way off base.

I have many family members and friends that are HUGE Cowboy fans. They all loved what they saw in Moore. Hell, many of them said they actually would have rather kept Moore and let Romo walk.

Will Moore be a franchise QB? Who knows....and only time will tell. But, I would rather have him back there than any other QB with less than 2 years experience in the league. He has shown enough to say that he very well could be a very good QB. He has shown as much as the likes of Flacco, Ryan, Sanchez, etc.... did in their second seasons. He has shown more than the likes fo Kevin Kolb. However, every Moore hater slobbers over them and then dismisses Moore.

I personally like what I have seen in him. But, like every other player entering this league, the truth will be revealed on the field.

#8 mj4life

mj4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:48 AM

the best thing about all of this is that now we start to get the answers to all these questions and i'm looking forward to watching it play out

#9 Jpjr

Jpjr

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:15 AM

the best thing about all of this is that now we start to get the answers to all these questions and i'm looking forward to watching it play out

exactly.

i make no secret that i am a fan of clausen and simply think he will be a better quarterback than matt moore.

but i am first to say that moore deserves the chance to start this season simply because he has wins under his belt at the pro level.

i agree that moore will be on a short leash because lets be serious until proven otherwise the panthers have the steal of the draft and the most pro-ready quarterback in college football last year sitting on the bench.

with that type of optionality, the urge to be patient with moore is simply dialed down. he will have to win in september to keep his job, and if he does, he will likely start the entire season.

#10 methodtoll

methodtoll

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • LocationToccoa, GA

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:23 AM

What I don't get is why so many people question MM's leadership but nobody questions Clausen's

#11 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• ALL-PRO
  • 13,063 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:27 AM

Not too familiar with this Matt Moore you speak of please tell me more.

#12 RealisticFan

RealisticFan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:29 AM

I like Matt Moore, but if this is Fox's last year it could very well be Moore's too. I think that Moore is John Fox's QB. I remember reading a rumor(yes it is a rumor) that Fox was going to pull Jake earlier in the season for Moore and Jake talked him out of it and begged for another chance.

I think that Fox did like Moore and I believe this because Fox always has said that he did not like drafting or grooming QB's because it takes so long. So, for him to hold on to Moore and then finally give him the nod over Feely the veteran says that he had confidence in him.

I also remember that when Clausen and Pike were drafted Fox called Matt for both of those picks and told him...something... I can only guess that he told him that he was the starter and that they are bringing these guys in to compete and it happens in the NFL.

I see this as real competition and as a fan I know that it is for the best. The person that has the most to gain from this is Matt and his gumption to be the best QB on the team. If he is not then so be it.

I am a Panthers fan first and foremost and will support anyone that is back there throwing or handing off the ball. I did not like Jake in the beginning, but when he started winning I like him even more. So, who ever can win the most games gets my approval. I just hope that it is Moore because he has been here then longest and has put the time in to get this opportunity.

#13 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:33 AM

I think that Moore is John Fox's QB.

I'm sorry, but that is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

#14 RealisticFan

RealisticFan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:38 AM

Well I really do believe this. Moore could have been released at any time in the past 4 years. Two QB coaches and he is still here. I just think that he was a project behind Jake and that is why he has been here for so long. I think that he was not expected to be the starter now. I honestly believe that Fox believed that Jake(his first love) would be a good QB for a couple of more years and then his groomed QB would take over after Jake retired.

IMO

#15 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,018 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:39 AM

Two points.
1. The point about teams having tape on Moore is valid, but its no more true with Matt than with any other young QB that comes into the league. It will be true when and if Clausen becomes the starter.
2. Technically, we were not out of the playoffs in either year that Matt started, but we were definitely longshots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com