Photo
- - - - -

Initial Impressions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
148 replies to this topic

#136 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

Judging Clausen by his QB rating last night is disingenuous

For example:

Dexter Jackson doesn't slip: QB rating jumps to 69
Sutton doesn't fumble on the 1 yard line: QB rating jumps to 91

There are things to pick on (like his butt-ugly delivery and wobbly passes) but for a rookie playing his first game ever, nationally televised, with no protection in the rain in someone else's stadium? Like him or hate him, it was impressive.

Passer rating only includes errors by the QB, not errors of any other players. Over a season, the QB rating is much more accurate than in one or two quarters of a preseason game.

#137 Panthers128

Panthers128

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:25 AM

i thought the team looked equally terrible everywhere so i'm not going to single out anyone. too many garbage players playing, won't know much till steve smith is out there and starters play real minutes.

#138 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:48 AM

Judging Clausen by his QB rating last night is disingenuous

For example:

Dexter Jackson doesn't slip: QB rating jumps to 69
Sutton doesn't fumble on the 1 yard line: QB rating jumps to 91

There are things to pick on (like his butt-ugly delivery and wobbly passes) but for a rookie playing his first game ever, nationally televised, with no protection in the rain in someone else's stadium? Like him or hate him, it was impressive.

Agree he was impressive for a rookie.
As for coulda shoulda wouldas, if the other team was Kansas City everyone would have looked good. And BTW if Sutton scores on a run it doesn't affect Clausen's passer rating. It was a run right???

#139 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

passer rating means nothing.

Tell that to a GM when they are negotiating a quarterback contract. LOL

#140 scpanther22

scpanther22

HUDDLER

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:13 PM

Tell that to a GM when they are negotiating a quarterback contract. LOL

why? they already know its almost a worthless stat

#141 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

HUDDLER

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:20 PM

why? they already know its almost a worthless stat

The stat itself yes, but what it represents is true... over a season. Who were the top pass rated QB's last year? Ima guess and say Brees, Manning and Rogers. They are definitely the top QB's in the league. While the lowest rated QB's are generally the worse.

#142 blackcatgrowl

blackcatgrowl

Trolls live here

HUDDLER

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:32 PM

I agree with 95% of your assessment Mr. Scot. Good post.

That remaining 5% is AE. He looked terrible to me, and considering the flak he's been given for Training Camp performance issues, I'm not on board with this guy at all

One thing that stuck out:

Jason Baker still kicks well (on punts and on tackles). Sadly, the Speial Teams still look like Danny Crossman's coaching them, but it is still preseason. There were some good Special Team coaching options available this offseason. Unless we see some improvement soon, we may really regret not going after one of them.

Yeah.... our Special Teams are in trouble. We need to shore this up quickly, or we'll lose close games. And close games are often the difference between a playoff berth or a losing record.

#143 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

Well, considering that he was projected as a LB/DE coming into the draft would tell that he had coming out of college a skill set that would have allowed him to develop into a LB.

As you pointed out, I did say I'm not a professional NFL coach so as to if this would be a real possibility I don't know but I do know that based on last night's performance he isn't cutting it as DE at this point in time.

Brown might make it as a 3-4 linebacker. In a 4-3 though? Doubt it.

(and before anyone says it, no we aren't switching) :mad:

I agree with 95% of your assessment Mr. Scot. Good post.

That remaining 5% is AE. He looked terrible to me, and considering the flak he's been given for Training Camp performance issues, I'm not on board with this guy at all

One thing that stuck out:

Yeah.... our Special Teams are in trouble. We need to shore this up quickly, or we'll lose close games. And close games are often the difference between a playoff berth or a losing record.

I enjoyed Baker's impression of Chuck Norris on that tackle :lol:

(unfortunately, that's a bit of a no-no) :(

Edited by Mr Scot, 13 August 2010 - 01:26 PM.

#144 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:28 PM

In the past we have relied on a deep strike passing game tied with a power running game.

I'd argue it'd be more effective if we had an efficient QB back there though. Sure the deep strike spreads the field - but a QB that hurts you in the air on every short/intermediate play is a much bigger threat than one that occasionally hits the home run ball.

That's the West Coast approach, and unfortunately that approach is heavily dependent on having quality receivers who can make great "run after catch" yards.

As far as guys who fit that description, we have exactly...one :(

I've heard the West Coast attack referred to as a "horizontal' offense. When you don't have the right receivers, that's exactly what it becomes.

#145 Sloth

Sloth

idk

HUDDLER

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:37 PM

Agree he was impressive for a rookie.
As for coulda shoulda wouldas, if the other team was Kansas City everyone would have looked good. And BTW if Sutton scores on a run it doesn't affect Clausen's passer rating. It was a run right???

Actually, yeah, the Sutton thing was a run and doesn't make a ton of sense, scratch that as me being stupid.

I do think that judging him by his QB rating last night isn't telling the whole story though. Rookie and needs to sit behind Moore this season (as you're saying) but he had a good outing last night, especially given the circumstances.

#146 scpanther22

scpanther22

HUDDLER

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:42 PM

That's the West Coast approach, and unfortunately that approach is heavily dependent on having quality receivers who can make great "run after catch" yards.

As far as guys who fit that description, we have exactly...one :(

I've heard the West Coast attack referred to as a "horizontal' offense. When you don't have the right receivers, that's exactly what it becomes.

Clausen best fit would be a WCO..I even read a draft place that said before the draft he could struggle in a play action based offense..But I think he would be fine but a WCO would be best.

#147 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:53 PM

Clausen best fit would be a WCO..I even read a draft place that said before the draft he could struggle in a play action based offense..But I think he would be fine but a WCO would be best.

My jaw dropped when the Vikings passed on him. He'd have been ideal for the kind of offense they run.

I don't see us changing to a WCO anytime soon. He'll have to adapt.

#148 scpanther22

scpanther22

HUDDLER

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

My jaw dropped when the Vikings passed on him. He'd have been ideal for the kind of offense they run.

I don't see us changing to a WCO anytime soon. He'll have to adapt.

He would fit perfect in that offense suprised they did not take him.

#149 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

HUDDLER

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

He would fit perfect in that offense suprised they did not take him.

Thats what Fox/Hurney also thought... thats why they wanted to trade up with Rams cuz they were guessing he was a lock to go to Minny