148 replies to this topic

#121 KBRed

KBRed

Scooter Swag

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:50 AM

I have to say I was extremely impressed with Clausen's debut. I didn't expect such poise from a rookie, until Suzy said she asked if he had butterflies, and he said "no butterflies". He is extremely confident. I noticed his balls did have a wobble to them.

His highlights: http://www.nfl.com/v...module=HP_video

#122 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,505 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

Considering he didn't have an actual WR on the field and his only option was to throw to RB's I thought Clausen looked pretty good. The improvised shuffle pass was a thing of beauty. Kid looks like a baller.

He is definitely tough and is a scrapper. As for receivers that could have applied to all the quarterbacks. He is definitelly a Fox kind of guy. I am not sold on whether he actually has an NFL arm and can execute the vertical passing game yet though.

#123 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,469 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

I don't expect the special teams to show improvement on their first preseason game. The finial roster isn't even set. I don't expect to see how our special teams will actually be until the regular season.

#124 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,042 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:05 AM

Clausen had a 41 passer rating. Yeah he did really great. I am really excited. LOL

Usually you love to throw stats at everyone to prove your right..

I am surprised you went with QB rating..We all know it means next to nothing.

#125 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,505 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:06 AM

Ok so I have agreed with most of what you have said but this is silly, "doesn't have the arm mechanics to throw it deep"? Did you miss the 30 yard pass that was on a rope ala Brett Farve? Did you happen to notice he averaged 10 yards a pass? 10 yards per pass completion isn't exactly a check down! The pass to Moore was also a very tight spiral and not exactly a check down passes! I'm all about Mr. Moore (QB) but come on, give the kid a break he isn't nearly as bad as some of you are making out, in fact I think he looked the best out of all the QB that played tonight...pocket awareness was unbelievable for someone that’s never played an NFL snap! Did I mention the best QB's in the league have awkward mechanics (Philip Rivers) or throws a wobbly ball (Peyton Manning) or doesn't throw 10 yard Hail Mary’s but lasers down the field (Brett Farve)...come on guys!

He didnt throw it 30 yards.. His longest pass was 25 and that was a tipped ball to Moore that could have been intercepted which moore ran for another 8 yards after the catch. And he threw 2 passes of any note the rest were mostly checkdowns. No one is saying he is bad, he is a rookie in his first preseason game and played pretty good considering. There were lots of positives for him out of that game. His poise and presence were very good and he didn't make many mistakes. I don't think he looked the best for our type of offense and would be easily exposed as another David Carr if teams were gameplanning for him. But he isn't starting and has time to learn the game and improve. I am fine where he was last night, I just don't know why folks like you want to annoint him the starter yet. the best thing for him is to take time to learn the game and improve his game.

#126 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,469 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:13 AM

People are definitely hyping up Clausen's play more than it was.

He looks like he belongs. He had good command of the huddle, and good poise. That being said, he also did several things that he won't get away with in regular season.

A year on the sideline will be the best thing for this kid.

#127 PantherProfessor

PantherProfessor

Fingers Crossed

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:16 AM

10 observations from the game

1. Greg Hardy has a big chip on his shoulder and is out to prove something, if he can stay healthy, we have something special.

2. Fiametta looked solid and did everything a FB in this system is asked to do, looked quick to the hole and made solid blocks. also caught a few nice balls and picked up good YAC.

3. LaFell is a good blocker for a rookie, his hands still worry me though. hopefully just the nerves.

4. No way Cantwell beats Clausen out for the #2 spot. Fox is making Clausen earn the spot, good move to encourage competition, but Clausen definately displays the "it" factor missing from Pike and Cantwell.

5. Armanti needs to setup some private tutoring sessions w/ Smitty to learn the art of the smoke pass and study some more film on returns. also needs to work on conditioning, but we'll wait to pass judgement. he is a project.

6. I am still not sold on the decision to move Beason, we may have some other talent at WLB that could justify putting him back in the middle. need more reps to justify though

7. Sutton can get it done, runs hard and has good hands. i would like to see him get some reps on kickoff returns to utilize him more once everyone is healthy.

8. Captain's height can be exploited at the #2 CB position, the safety's will have to be aware of matchups on him, hopefully the extra speed on the field can compensate somewhat.

9. Special teams coverage still seems lacking, but its still early. not much chance to show what we can do in the return game due to deep kickoff's by ravens and rain on punts.

10. This team absolutely NEEDS STEVE SMITH healthy 100% for week 1. he changes the entire dynamic of this offense. not sure that a true #2 will emerge this season, atleast for a while.

its just the preseason, so no need to pass judgement yet, but there are definately things to learn from the game. :cheers2:

#128 gmonet

gmonet

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:16 AM

I saw Connor, folks, but nothing as dramatic as Hardy or Brayton. I pray Brayton is ok for RS...bee ast!

#129 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,061 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:58 AM

How about some love for Ed Johnson, he was getting some good pressure up the middle.

This. We had a good push from the inside which helped our outside rushers all game get some pressure, more than expected vs a very good line in Baltimore.

I felt much better about this game than our first game last year vs the Giants. No need to microcriticize Clausens passes in his first game which was affected by the rain and a lack of WR's.

#130 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:02 AM

This is propably not a real possibility, but in my opinion Norwood needs to permentaly move to DE and Brown needs to be moved to LB. It's not a move that would happen over a couple of weeks and see Brown start at LB by the start of the season but Brown just seems to have the skill set of a LB more so than a DE. If it wasn't for his spin move, he would have been a LB coming out of college, no discussion.

Norwood is what Brown was suppose to be. Smaller LB build but has the ability to shed o-line blockers at the point of attach.

I'm by no means a football expert/coach ect. So I may be completely off on this but thats just the feeling I had watching the two preform tonight.

BTW, Hardy and Brayton need to be the starting DEs come week 1. C. Johnson just isn't a starting caliber DE, although he is still talented and will be a big part of this line.

As for the QB talk. I was and still am a Moore guy. However, Clausen impressed me last night. I did not expect that at all and I guess the best compliment I could give him would be that if Moore wasn't on this team, I would still be just as confident in the QB position. That doesn't mean he would outplay a four year vet with 8 starts under his belt but just like some other rookie QB i.e. Matt Ryan I think he could stand his own as he developed. I'm just glad that for at least one season, Clausen will get the opportunity to sit and learn if not for two or three seasons.

#131 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,061 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:06 AM

I'm by no means a football expert/coach ect. So I may be completely off on this but thats just the feeling I had watching the two preform tonight.

I agree with this. I'm not sure you understand the actual duties of a LB nor do I get where you think Brown has this skill set.

#132 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:18 AM

I agree with this. I'm not sure you understand the actual duties of a LB nor do I get where you think Brown has this skill set.

Well, considering that he was projected as a LB/DE coming into the draft would tell that he had coming out of college a skill set that would have allowed him to develop into a LB.

As you pointed out, I did say I'm not a professional NFL coach so as to if this would be a real possibility I don't know but I do know that based on last night's performance he isn't cutting it as DE at this point in time.

#133 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,505 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:20 AM

Usually you love to throw stats at everyone to prove your right..

I am surprised you went with QB rating..We all know it means next to nothing.

Stats are objective, opinions are not. Went with quarterback rating because that takes in account things like Ints, completion rate, yards per completion, etc. It helps level the playing field when you have one guy tossing dumpoffs versus another guy throwing it down the field. They both have a completion in the books but all completions are not equal. And we don't know it means nothing. To the contrary, passer rating is one of the better stats out there because it takes into account multiple factors not one of 2 isolated statistics. And it uses quality versus quantity stats. It could be improved upon by weighting some factors more than others but it still one of the best ways to evaluate performance.

#134 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• HUDDLER
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:40 AM

Judging Clausen by his QB rating last night is disingenuous

For example:

Dexter Jackson doesn't slip: QB rating jumps to 69
Sutton doesn't fumble on the 1 yard line: QB rating jumps to 91

There are things to pick on (like his butt-ugly delivery and wobbly passes) but for a rookie playing his first game ever, nationally televised, with no protection in the rain in someone else's stadium? Like him or hate him, it was impressive.

#135 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,042 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:40 AM

Stats are objective, opinions are not. Went with quarterback rating because that takes in account things like Ints, completion rate, yards per completion, etc. It helps level the playing field when you have one guy tossing dumpoffs versus another guy throwing it down the field. They both have a completion in the books but all completions are not equal. And we don't know it means nothing. To the contrary, passer rating is one of the better stats out there because it takes into account multiple factors not one of 2 isolated statistics. And it uses quality versus quantity stats. It could be improved upon by weighting some factors more than others but it still one of the best ways to evaluate performance.

passer rating means nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.