• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#76 woody

woody

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:27 AM

I'm not writing him off at all, but do you honestly feel good about us losing a 2nd round pick for a guy who has never played WR?

He is going to have to have a very good career just to justify them making this move.

He's got a steep uphill climb ahead of him

Ask me next year. Its pretty much like were going to draft Armanti Edwards WR out of the Panthers University next year in the 2nd round. The panthers organization felt like they could make him into a reciever that would warrant a 2nd round pick. They think they can do it and I think they can do it. And yeah I said Panthers University...

#77 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,968 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:29 AM

Bad trade...bad pick. Baltimore gave up a 3rd for Boldin. The Panthers gave up a 2nd for Armanti. Doh!

Ouch!!!!!

#78 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,173 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:29 AM

I thought he looked pretty darn good last night for a guy who hasn't played WR since high school (which might as well be not at all) and has never been a PR/KR.

If you didn't think this guy had allot of potential upside, I could see where he might be cut or put on the PS, but allot of smart football people think he does.

It's yet to be determined whether or not he was worth a 2nd and 3rd round pick. If every 2nd and 3rd round rookie WR that got off to a rough start was cut, then there are a quite a few great players who we would have never heard of.

#79 woody

woody

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:31 AM

I thought he looked pretty darn good last night for a guy who hasn't played WR since high school (which might as well be not at all) and has never been a PR/KR.

If you didn't think this guy had allot of potential upside, I could see where he might be cut or put on the PS, but allot of smart football people think he does.

It's yet to be determined whether or not he was worth a 2nd and 3rd round pick. If every 2nd and 3rd round rookie WR that got off to a rough start was cut, then there are a quite a few great players who we would have never heard of.

Exactly

#80 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:37 AM

Bernadeau played well at RG, he just sucks as the backup center. Dan Connor? I thought he played well.

Connor was the E. Brown of the LBs. Almost made a play all night. Bernadeau's strength is that he can slide around the line. Which hopefully just means slide from LG to RG, giving C a wide berth.

#81 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:39 AM

We gave a 2nd for Jarrett who hasn't done anything in 3 years and a 3rd for LaFell who showed just as little as Edwards last night.

Cut them all?

#82 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:41 AM

Ask me next year. Its pretty much like were going to draft Armanti Edwards WR out of the Panthers University next year in the 2nd round. The panthers organization felt like they could make him into a reciever that would warrant a 2nd round pick. They think they can do it and I think they can do it. And yeah I said Panthers University...

Why not? Panthers University has certainly turned out some great receivers in the past. :o

#83 CharlestonPantherFan

CharlestonPantherFan

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:42 AM

The way things look now, If AE was a UFA< would he make even the practice squad?

Probably not. He would be one of the many players cut from the team outright. Has shown nothing on special teams and can't seem to hold onto balls against 3rd string DB's.

He would be given another chance next season.

That said, his cost in the draft probably assures him a roster spot, which is a shame. Does he have potential? Maybe. Can we afford another roster spot for a pure project considering we have to use up 2 roster spots because our field goal kicker can't do kickoffs? Nope.

Thank gawd you are not on the Panthers coaching staff then :out: One freaking preseason game and he's a bust? :rofl: seriously, some of you guys need to take a break and ENJOY the game because we don't have any control over the FO decisions.....we are FANS not coaches or executives. None of us get paid to evaluate players, and if we were THAT good at scouting, I seriously doubt any of you would be posting on this message board.

So all of you/us who are defending AE to these know-it-alls, just take it with a grain of salt. Mr. Brewski was correct in an earlier post, some guys (Zod & Panthro come to mind) are just trying to bait you....don't give in ;)

Now, flame away at my post AE haters :D I think he will be just fine after a few weeks of learning what he needs to do.

#84 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:45 AM

Also, I'm basically a troll and it's pathetic as fug that somehow I'M one of the most upbeat/positive posters over the last week and trying to tell people to not over-react.

What the crap is going on around here?

#85 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,173 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

We gave a 2nd for Jarrett who hasn't done anything in 3 years and a 3rd for LaFell who showed just as little as Edwards last night.

Cut them all?

Not fair to compare rookies to a 4th year player... Jarrett has no execuses at this point, but he looked decent last night.

#86 blackcatgrowl

blackcatgrowl

Trolls live here

• HUDDLER
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:29 AM

The way things look now, If AE was a UFA< would he make even the practice squad?

Probably not. He would be one of the many players cut from the team outright. Has shown nothing on special teams and can't seem to hold onto balls against 3rd string DB's.

He would be given another chance next season.

That said, his cost in the draft probably assures him a roster spot, which is a shame. Does he have potential? Maybe. Can we afford another roster spot for a pure project considering we have to use up 2 roster spots because our field goal kicker can't do kickoffs? Nope.

100% totally agree.

#87 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:29 AM

Not fair to compare rookies to a 4th year player... Jarrett has no execuses at this point, but he looked decent last night.

Decent after 3 years, collecting most of his pay and spending a 2nd rounder. I also think he looked better than usual because the weather was slowing everything down.. eliminates one of his big weaknesses.

Point being, Edwards didn't flash much last night, but neither did half of the team and zero of the WR. If you were to apply the same filter (UDFA, judged based on one rainy performance) we'd have 14 people on roster.

#88 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,756 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:32 AM

Give the guy a break, guys. Receiver isn't exactly the easiest position to play.

#89 PrimeTyme

PrimeTyme

The Greatest!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

AE showed nothing last night... maybe that will change but I doubt it

#90 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,173 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

Give the guy a break, guys. Receiver isn't exactly the easiest position to play.

Yup, I've heard it said many times that WR is the 2nd hardest transition to make from college to the NFL and this kid didn't even play WR in college.

It's waaaaaay to early to draw any conclusions about Edwards. I think we can all agree he's a project, so the only real question is whether or not this team could afford to spend a 2nd and 3rd round pick on a project at a position where they have such a great need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com