Photo
- - - - -

Panthers will trade for a WR...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
166 replies to this topic

#157 N'wahlinsCayenne

N'wahlinsCayenne

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:59 PM

Sounds reasonable. I didn't think WRs were so hard to find. :crazy:

Actually, the Saints could possibly be that team, after we just lost Lynell Hamilton for the season. We need a bruiser who can play special teams.

#158 Vagrant

Vagrant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:03 PM

We'll have somebody new on the roster, but it will not be via trade. There will be a surprise cut of a WR that isn't terrible, and we'll probably snag him. Work LaFell as the 3rd WR behind Smith and the new guy, and likely cut Jarrett in all honesty. I still have faith in the kid, but it's not looking good for his chance to make good on it here.

#159 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

We'll have somebody new on the roster, but it will not be via trade. There will be a surprise cut of a WR that isn't terrible, and we'll probably snag him.

My take as well.

#160 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

HUDDLER

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:41 AM

Well, we can almost assuredly strike Brandon Banks off the list. Dude had a PR of 74 yards.

#161 PantherFanOne

PantherFanOne

HUDDLER

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:19 AM

I can see the Panthers checking out all the wide receivers that are cut when other teams make their cut downs but my belief is we will basically go with the receivers we currently have.
If trades were to be implemented,i feel they would have happened earlier in the year before preseson started.
This is a a team that is in the middle of a youth movemrnt and cost concious retooling program,so i don't look for any movement in the trade sceniro.

#162 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

HUDDLER

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:45 AM

Well, we can almost assuredly strike Brandon Banks off the list. Dude had a PR of 74 yards.

Possibly, but it's not a lock. Jesse Holley (the guy who won "4th and Long") had a nice return TD in last year's preseason and still only made the practice squad.

There's a breakdown of the Redskin receiver battle here (link)

They've generally kept five, and here's the list of who's competing (in their current depth chart order):

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Santana Moss - the best of the bunch
Joey Galloway - older, but still fast and a known commodity
Anthony Armstrong - one year guy, smallish speedster
Roydell Williams - former Titan, older, decent but not special, injury problems
Devin Thomas - big possession type, a tad inconsistent and has had some injuries
Malcolm Kelly - even bigger, but also inconsistent and currently injured (hamstring)
Terrence Austin - seventh round pick, smallish slot receiver/return man type
Shay Hodge - undrafted, reportedly has dropped a lot
Brandon Banks - listed only as a returner, not a receiver (there's a thread that includes discussion about him here)

In camp, but not currently listed on the depth chart:

Bobby Wade - older, journeyman, with his fifth team, has never been all that great
Mike Furrey - interesting player, looked like he was on the verge of a breakout with the Lions, but fell off, has actually played defensive back and notched six interceptions (including one game winner); smart, good-handed Ricky Proehl type but recently suffered what may be a severe concussion; best days may be behind him.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Expect five out of that group to make it (Moss, and four others). Six is possible but not likely. The rest will be looking for jobs.

Worth noting that Shanahan usually has a preference for bigger receivers, but the stable in Washington includes more small guys than big ones.

The best hope for a number two type from this bunch would be Kelly or Thomas, but I wouldn't count too much on either of them coming free.

I'd have loved to have had Furrey a couple of years ago. Now, not so sure.

Edited by Mr Scot, 14 August 2010 - 11:51 AM.

#163 methodtoll

methodtoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:10 PM

What are the chances of Malcolm Floyd coming here? That would be a decent trade

#164 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

HUDDLER

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:17 PM

What are the chances of Malcolm Floyd coming here? That would be a decent trade

Not much while the Chargers are dealing with a holdout from Vincent Jackson.

(in truth, probably not much either way)

#165 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

SUPPORTER

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:49 PM

Funny how my trash is constantly of more worth than anything you offer.

Anywho, Sutton for a WR equivalent of Sutton would be worth it IMO. I don't have scout tapes of the other 31 teams, so you will have to take the wait and see approach.

Tis your opinion.
I knew everything I needed to know about you the first time I posted on your board. I was being nice in pointing our that you had the wrong name of a player you were making a thread about. Instead of thanking me, you deleted my post, and edited yours so you wouldn't look like an idiot.

To this day, you still have a holier than thou attitde. I suspect you always will.

#166 MHS831

MHS831

HUDDLER

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:01 PM

I didn't read all of the comments, but it seems to me that Cantwell could be trade bait. He needs a solid showing next week. It was the first thought that entered my mind when they pulled Pike and put him in at the end of the game vs. Balt.

#167 AnalyzeThIs#28

AnalyzeThIs#28

Beware of Smash&Dash

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:13 PM

With the reps our top two RBs get, especially being a Run First team, injuries are a possibility, so it's nice to have a nice back up to our two-headed monster. As long as Smitty is a solid #1, which he is, having a decent #2 that can block well will work for now. At least that's how Fox has seen it for quite a while...