Fixed.

#48 joemac

joemac

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:16 PM

That throw to Rosario was what got me really excited about Clausen. 20 yards down the field, with some fuging mustard behind it, and exactly where it had to be in order to be a completion.

Im starting to feel confident that we have our QB of the future.

#49 GRWatcher

GRWatcher

visiting from Kepler-186f

• HUDDLER
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationStatesville

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:45 PM

Problem is we don't play a WCO pass first offense like Philly and McNabb. We play a run first vertical passing game. The same skills don't apply. With what I saw last night Clausen would be better off in a WCO than ours right now. Hopefully his experience in college in our type of offense will translate eventually into the NFL. But lets see what happens when he gets to look at film and practice a little longer. Rookie QBs make their biggest gains between the first and second preseason games.

True, WCO is not our style and thank God! I was trying to say that he has positive skills to build on and I see him as a very smart player who will only get better. Same as McNabb starting out. Same sideways throw with velocity that McNabb had. What they developed to eventually play doesn't matter in the comparison. We'll get to see, too, how McNabb changes at Washington but that doesn't matter to this discussion either.

I'm excited about Clausen, yes. I'm also glad he doesn't have to start. It will be an interesting journey to watch.

#50 Varking

Varking

Enigma

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:05 AM

Clausen has never played in a West Coast Offense and he produced in college so I don't know how we can say he is better suited for that than a pro-style.

#51 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,720 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:17 AM

Clausen has never played in a West Coast Offense and he produced in college so I don't know how we can say he is better suited for that than a pro-style.

There is a huge difference between the windows you have in college and the ones in the pros. So a guy chucking the ball 20 or 30 yards down the field in college may not have the arm strength to do the same in the pros. Where any of the guys can throw the 5 or 10 yard passes in the WCO. At this point I need to see if he can make the transition from one to the other. Defensive secondaries are so much faster in the NFL that you have to zip it in there. At this point the zip some people see, eludes me. And again it is probably me but the way he threw in the preseason game doesn't look like the film I saw from college. If I didn't know it was him I would swear it wasn't the same guy. What was once touted as a perfect throw now looks pretty unorthodox. I question whether that injury to his tow is still an issue. But again I didn't see him that much in college so it might be me.

#52 Varking

Varking

Enigma

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:29 AM

He threw the same way in college that he did in high school, even after the toe injury so I think it might be because of the ball being slippery, he was rushing, or it might be something the Panthers want him to do. I noticed a different delivery as well but I am hoping it goes back to the old motion at the next game.

#53 Third Degree

Third Degree

Bucket of Boat Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 4,823 posts
  • Location704

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:52 AM

The shovel pass may have been the first one thrown in team history. I liked it.

#54 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:13 AM

Put it into perspective--when was the last time you saw a second-round drafted QB play as well in his first preseason game? On the other hand, Moore had as moving (insert Jordan Gross comment here--although, a vet LT knows to protect the QB at all costs in the preseason, so I was not upset about that--besides the second penalty was not holding).

#55 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,183 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

His accuracy..

#56 Jpjr

Jpjr

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

There is a huge difference between the windows you have in college and the ones in the pros. So a guy chucking the ball 20 or 30 yards down the field in college may not have the arm strength to do the same in the pros. Where any of the guys can throw the 5 or 10 yard passes in the WCO. At this point I need to see if he can make the transition from one to the other. Defensive secondaries are so much faster in the NFL that you have to zip it in there. At this point the zip some people see, eludes me. And again it is probably me but the way he threw in the preseason game doesn't look like the film I saw from college. If I didn't know it was him I would swear it wasn't the same guy. What was once touted as a perfect throw now looks pretty unorthodox. I question whether that injury to his tow is still an issue. But again I didn't see him that much in college so it might be me.

It's not just you. He didn't throw like that in college. I'm convinced he was overthinking the speed of his release. I think it will go away, but it's an issue if it didn't.

#57 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • 6,148 posts
  • LocationRiverboat Rivera

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:21 PM

The shovel pass may have been the first one thrown in team history. I liked it.

It was awsome.

#58 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,224 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:31 PM

deserves his own thread after last nights performance. Nothing against Matt Moore and I know its early but so far this kid looked very impressive with his pocket presence and decision making. I know I am probably in the minority and its highly unlikely Fox would do it but if clausen continues to show improvement I'd like to see him starting sooner than later.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this but the Ravens 2nd string defense =/= their first string D, Ed Reed or not....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com