Photo
- - - - -

Jimmy Clausen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#51 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:17 AM

Clausen has never played in a West Coast Offense and he produced in college so I don't know how we can say he is better suited for that than a pro-style.

There is a huge difference between the windows you have in college and the ones in the pros. So a guy chucking the ball 20 or 30 yards down the field in college may not have the arm strength to do the same in the pros. Where any of the guys can throw the 5 or 10 yard passes in the WCO. At this point I need to see if he can make the transition from one to the other. Defensive secondaries are so much faster in the NFL that you have to zip it in there. At this point the zip some people see, eludes me. And again it is probably me but the way he threw in the preseason game doesn't look like the film I saw from college. If I didn't know it was him I would swear it wasn't the same guy. What was once touted as a perfect throw now looks pretty unorthodox. I question whether that injury to his tow is still an issue. But again I didn't see him that much in college so it might be me.

#52 Varking

Varking

Enigma

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:29 AM

He threw the same way in college that he did in high school, even after the toe injury so I think it might be because of the ball being slippery, he was rushing, or it might be something the Panthers want him to do. I noticed a different delivery as well but I am hoping it goes back to the old motion at the next game.

#53 Third Degree

Third Degree

Socks are for your feet, silly

HUDDLER

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:52 AM

The shovel pass may have been the first one thrown in team history. I liked it.

#54 MHS831

MHS831

HUDDLER

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:13 AM

Put it into perspective--when was the last time you saw a second-round drafted QB play as well in his first preseason game? On the other hand, Moore had as moving (insert Jordan Gross comment here--although, a vet LT knows to protect the QB at all costs in the preseason, so I was not upset about that--besides the second penalty was not holding).

#55 scpanther22

scpanther22

HUDDLER

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

Clausen has never played in a West Coast Offense and he produced in college so I don't know how we can say he is better suited for that than a pro-style.

His accuracy..

#56 Jpjr

Jpjr

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

There is a huge difference between the windows you have in college and the ones in the pros. So a guy chucking the ball 20 or 30 yards down the field in college may not have the arm strength to do the same in the pros. Where any of the guys can throw the 5 or 10 yard passes in the WCO. At this point I need to see if he can make the transition from one to the other. Defensive secondaries are so much faster in the NFL that you have to zip it in there. At this point the zip some people see, eludes me. And again it is probably me but the way he threw in the preseason game doesn't look like the film I saw from college. If I didn't know it was him I would swear it wasn't the same guy. What was once touted as a perfect throw now looks pretty unorthodox. I question whether that injury to his tow is still an issue. But again I didn't see him that much in college so it might be me.

It's not just you. He didn't throw like that in college. I'm convinced he was overthinking the speed of his release. I think it will go away, but it's an issue if it didn't.

#57 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

HUDDLER

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:21 PM

The shovel pass may have been the first one thrown in team history. I liked it.

It was awsome.

#58 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

HUDDLER

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:31 PM

deserves his own thread after last nights performance. Nothing against Matt Moore and I know its early but so far this kid looked very impressive with his pocket presence and decision making. I know I am probably in the minority and its highly unlikely Fox would do it but if clausen continues to show improvement I'd like to see him starting sooner than later.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this but the Ravens 2nd string defense =/= their first string D, Ed Reed or not....