• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#46 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,248 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:01 AM

we haven't had majority rule in this country for a very long time.

That's a good thing.

#47 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,071 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:38 AM

There is no other point cat. The left is obsessed with race or intolerance when that's not the real issue. Oh sure you got some jacklegs that the moment they heard about this they went psycho over it being Muslims.
But the majority of common sense people are going hey wait a sec. We don't mind you building and we def don't mind from of religion.
To me, the one building this to not to consider the recent history, the emotions that are in play and to not even consider other avenues or locations or do a better job of trying to extend an olive branch is pretty lame.
Yes he can build this. Yes it's fine. Who doesn't agree with that?

That's why I mentioned the Houston Dynamo. They changed their team name from 1836 to Dynamo. The whole reason is the Mexican community in Houston felt it was insensitive and brought up some bad history. History that was well over 150 years earlier. So for that much time to have passed and yet it STILL offends someone says volumes.
The team realizing bad PR as well as potential tix sales relented. The only Hispanic on Houston's City Council at the time planned a boycott if the team did NOT change their name.
No tolerance, no freedom, no nothing.
So if 150 yrs is not enough time for old wounds to heal, then what about just 9?
If I'm going to build something in a town or neighborhood, I will try to do as much homework on the area as I can. Make sure I don't try to name a building after a hated guy etc or on property that a town or group may view as sacred.
To at least begin to at least feign some thoughtfulness or be going out of your way to be EXTRA sensitive based on RECENT history, shows some intense arrogance.

So we agree there is nothing else to the point. There is nothing else to say or do.

The issue is 100% emotionally fueled. And the right is seizing the opportunity to manipulate peoples emotions. The republicans are making this a bigger headline then it should ever have been so it can benefit them. They are also spreading false information surrounding the whole thing. And you know, I find that to be more disgusting than building a religious building in an old Burlington Coat Factory.

#48 StepandFetch

StepandFetch

............chicken wire?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:56 AM

man it is really something... a few weeks ago every other word uttered by the neo-cons in the media was "constitution" and now?? I mean words simply cannot describe the hypocrisy.

There is no debate. There is the First Amendment. Period.

Is this going to become another example of censorship halting peaceful progress? Galileo rolls in his grave.

this is a distraction, nothing more. I hate it.

#49 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,258 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:22 AM

Ahh the neo cons. The only group to fuel hysteria? Yeah right.
Ask Target about hysteria right now.

#50 Ohio

Ohio

The Wizzard of Wisdom

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:52 AM

Glad to see the people who are so "angry" about this answer my questions

#51 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,258 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:22 PM

Glad to see the people who are so "angry" about this answer my questions

You had several now that I went back. Who decides? I guess zoning boards. How far, how many blocks etc? I guess a wise compromise could be found if both wanted too.
I don't think Muslims would want a Mickie D's beside Mecca. Mecca D's doesn't flow. Hmm. Maybe it does.

The next question is, who is going to build this? What union will jump on it? Wouldn't 100 mil really help the cities educational issues or homeless issues instead of padding the pockets of a select few.

Once again, this shows things aren't as racial as you think but more about the green.

#52 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,389 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:38 PM

Ahh the neo cons. The only group to fuel hysteria? Yeah right.
Ask Target about hysteria right now.

nobody is denying Target their right to build Targets. they are upset about something they did, so they are boycotting.

feel free to boycott this community center if you don't like it.

#53 Ohio

Ohio

The Wizzard of Wisdom

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:48 PM

You had several now that I went back. Who decides? I guess zoning boards. How far, how many blocks etc? I guess a wise compromise could be found if both wanted too.
I don't think Muslims would want a Mickie D's beside Mecca. Mecca D's doesn't flow. Hmm. Maybe it does.

The next question is, who is going to build this? What union will jump on it? Wouldn't 100 mil really help the cities educational issues or homeless issues instead of padding the pockets of a select few.

Once again, this shows things aren't as racial as you think but more about the green.

You guess zoning boards? A wise compromise could be found? Really? Your that optimistic, 2 blocks away isnt enough, so why not 200 blocks away? You just threw out answers without even thinking if they're realistic. The fact of the matter is, they're allowed to do it. Just because you, and a bunch of right wingers dont like it, shouldnt mean that they cant do it.

#54 Speed

Speed

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

Really, thats all you got? How about some common decency and respecting the views who SUPPORT it? How about the peaceful Muslims who could use this as a place of worship? Obviously the rightwing nutjobs dont care about them, now do you? You people will NEVER get it.

It all depends on the motive for building the thing. If it's in your face type of thing, fug them. It's comparable to the rebel flag in that respect. If it's a place to teach hate, fug them(and anybody that sticks up for them). Which is it? Do you know? I really do not see any legal way to stop it anyway.

Edited by Speed, 21 August 2010 - 03:10 PM.

#55 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

nobody is denying Target their right to build Targets. they are upset about something they did, so they are boycotting.

Isn't that what people on the right are doing? Say what you want, but the worst thing that has happened is a bunch of people saying they don't like it being built there. The horror.

#56 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,497 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

Isn't that what people on the right are doing? Say what you want, but the worst thing that has happened is a bunch of people saying they don't like it being built there. The horror.

You sir, (on the right) are not allowed an opinion.

#57 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,497 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:30 PM

Generally you'll have various studies, perhaps a City Council meeting when they consider the impact of said new business or center or whatever it may be being planned.
Horrifying yes, but citizens are allowed to come to these meetings and freely state why they think something should or shouldn't be built before it ever breaks ground. They don't have to wait and just boycott what they don't like, but rather be part of the process day 1.
Lots of people are daily denied their right to build what they want, when they want and especially how they want it. It's the Government process at work.
Public awareness and a PR campaign before any project is ever slated for consideration is where things generally start. Target, nor any other entity are allowed to do whatever the hell they want, nor is it their right.

#58 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,389 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:33 PM

no, it's not. most on the right are calling for NY to deny permission for it to be built.

#59 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:38 PM

no, it's not. most on the right are calling for NY to deny permission for it to be built.

You mean most of the people of NY, which is mostly liberal.

#60 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,795 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:40 PM

That's a good thing.

no

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.