• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#46 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:47 AM

How is predicting that NCSU goes 7-5 anything like predicting UNC to go 10-2? I predicted that NC State would lose to essentially every good team we play with the exception of Cincy at home. We lost to FSU last year on the last play of the game...I predicted we lose to them again this year. Boston College is not that much better than us but we have trouble with them every year, so I predicted a loss.

10-2 means that Carolina is essentially a top 10 football team...which is a big stretch. It means that they are going to beat national title contenders like LSU, Miami, and VT. Everyone is high on Carolina's defense but the fact of the matter is that teams like LSU have defenses that good EVERY SINGLE YEAR. They were better statistically than you guys last year and yet every Carolina fan is saying "we can beat LSU because our defense is dominant," while not realizing that their defense is just as good or maybe even better.

Well damn, UNC beat two out of those three last year, and I watched LSU struggle to score points against Louisiana Tech last year. Why shouldn't I believe that UNC can match up with them?

I'm more worried about their ability to beat the teams they're supposed to beat, like VA and NC State, but I believe they will do that this year too.

Edited by monstercat, 23 August 2010 - 11:29 AM.

#47 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• HUDDLER
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

This will be a pretty amazing year. No one except Illinois will finish under .500

The entire NCAA will be in BCS bowl games.

#48 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,681 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

Penn State

Youngstown State Home WIN
Alabama Away LOSE
Kent State Home WIN
Temple Home WIN
Iowa Away LOSE (Every Damn Year)
Illinois Home WIN
Minnesota Away WIN
Michigan Home WIN
Northwestern Home WIN
Ohio State Away LOSE
Indiana Away WIN
Michigan State Home WIN

9-3

#49 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,347 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

Wake Forest

Presbyterian W
Duke W
@ Stanford L
@ Florida State L
vs. GA Tech L
vs. Navy [[W]] L
@ VA Tech L
@ Maryland W
BC W
@NC State L
Clemson [[W]] L
@ Vanderbilt W

[[7-5]] 5-7

Probably a bit optimistic, but you never know with Jim Grobe.

My thoughts, though it looks like the WF QBs have thrown the ball around pretty well so far in practice. Still, WF lost 3 starters on Defense to the NFL this past season and 3 the year before and it is really hard for a school with academic standards like WF to replace that kind of talent.

#50 The Other Colbert

The Other Colbert

new

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:56 PM

Michigan

vs. Connecticut W
at Notre Dame W
vs. Massachusetts W
vs. Bowling Green W
at Indiana W
vs. Michigan State W
vs. Iowa L
at Penn State W
vs. Illinois W
vs. Purdue L
vs. Wisconsin W
at Ohio State W

it's fun to dream

#51 ELAV8

ELAV8

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:26 AM

FLORIDA STATE 2010 SCHEDULE

09/04/10 vs. Samford W
09/11/10 at Oklahoma W
09/18/10 vs. BYU W
09/25/10 vs. Wake Forest W
10/02/10 at Virginia W
10/09/10 at Miami L
10/16/10 vs. Boston College W
10/28/10 at North Carolina State W
11/06/10 vs. North Carolina W
11/13/10 vs. Clemson L
11/20/10 at Maryland W
11/27/10 vs. Florida W

My highest expectations (Above) are 10-2 Season...
Losing to VTech in the ACC Championship, and beating Auburn (?) in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl.

Lowest expectations are 7-5 season, missing the ACC Championship and probably winning the Champs Sports Bowl over Pitt or Notre Dame.

It's hard to predict anything at this point...Miami and UF will be the toughest games and either could go either way. I think winning 1 of the two will be enough to prove the team is on the right track under Fisher. I doubt we can win them both though. The Oklahoma game could go either way as well. I think Clemson, BC, and UNC all have a shot at beating us (1 of them prob will). Those games could go either way as they are usually pretty close.

CP7 for Heisman! :)

#52 TarPanther9180

TarPanther9180

Ready for football

• HUDDLER
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:07 AM

So he gave UNC two more wins and you gave NC State two more wins. How is his prediction more "homerish" than yours? You're basing your opinion on the hope that NC State's defense will get better, and he's basing his on the hope that UNC's offense will get better. UNC was only a couple of plays (and a QB) away from 10 wins last year, so I don't see how 10-2 is any more unrealistic than NC State going 7-5.

Also, the LSU game is in Atlanta, which is ACC country just as much as it is SEC country, if not more so. UNC won at VT on a Thursday night last year, and there is no way that crowd in Atlanta will be anymore hostile than that.

That's exactly what I was thinking. 8 wins in the past two years. With the defense they'll have, plus most of the offense is returning (Yates will be on short leash) with more experience, that should count for at least two more wins. Especially since they should have been FSU and NCSU last year (lost by 3 points or less).

UNC has more NFL ready talent than anyone in the ACC, so they should be contender for ACC championship.

#53 tarheelpride

tarheelpride

Logic is optional

• HUDDLER
  • 2,918 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NC

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:06 PM

I see UNC's Season playing out in 3 ways.....mostly hinging on the LSU game and the QB play

Best

LSU - W
GT - W
@RU - W
ECU - W
Clemson - W
@UVA - L
@MIA - W
Wm&Mary - W
@FSU - L
VT - W
@NCSU - W
@Duke - W

10-2 but for some reason we can't win in Charlottesville and I have no idea why. The FSU loss will be because of Ponder if anything else. The guy scares me some with how good he is and can be. This sneario has Yates not making many timely mistakes and the running game dictating the pace.

Middle of the Pack

LSU - L
GT - W
@RU - W
ECU - W
Clemson - W
@UVA - W
@MIA - L
Wm&Mary - W
@FSU - L
VT - L
@NCSU - W
@Duke - W

8-4. Not bad considering who we lost to, but it earns us another trip to Charlotte unfortunately. Here I think Yates stumbles, but not bad enough for Rener to come in.

Worse-case

LSU - W
GT - W
@RU - W
ECU - W
Clemson - W
@UVA - W
@MIA - W
Wm&Mary - W
@FSU - W
VT - W
@NCSU - L
@Duke - L

If the above happens, I will personally lobby for the firing of Butch

#54 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:56 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking. 8 wins in the past two years. With the defense they'll have, plus most of the offense is returning (Yates will be on short leash) with more experience, that should count for at least two more wins. Especially since they should have been FSU and NCSU last year (lost by 3 points or less).

UNC has more NFL ready talent than anyone in the ACC, so they should be contender for ACC championship.

I hear the same argument EVVERY year from Carolina fans. "We SHOULD HAVE beaten team X...because we lost by 3-4 points." Do you know how many games are decided by 3 points in college football? State lost by 4 to USC and by 3 to FSU last year. You don't see me predicting that we beat FSU this year do you??

I'm not saying UNC can't win 10 games. I am just saying...make a realistic prediction rather than the prediction that you HOPE is going to happen. Its is great that UNC has a great defense, but they aren't the only team in the conference with NFL-ready talent. VT, Miami and GT ALL have NFL talent on their defense. The difference between them and UNC is that they also have NFL talent on their offense.

All I am saying is that going from 8-5 to 10-2 is a lot different than going from 5-7 to 7-5. Going 10-2 means that you are essentially a top 10 team and the best team in your conference. Unless Carolina holds every opponent it plays to under 20 points (hard to do in CFB) I don't see them winning more than 8 games. It is going to be especially difficult without your best interior lineman.

#55 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:49 PM

Michigan

vs. Connecticut W
at Notre Dame W
vs. Massachusetts W
vs. Bowling Green W
at Indiana W
vs. Michigan State W
vs. Iowa L
at Penn State W
vs. Illinois W
vs. Purdue L
vs. Wisconsin W
at Ohio State W

it's fun to dream

You was dreaming hard. :lol:

#56 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:49 AM

You was dreaming hard. :lol:

Yeah, that one is truly homerish.

#57 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

I hear the same argument EVVERY year from Carolina fans. "We SHOULD HAVE beaten team X...because we lost by 3-4 points." Do you know how many games are decided by 3 points in college football? State lost by 4 to USC and by 3 to FSU last year. You don't see me predicting that we beat FSU this year do you??

I'm not saying UNC can't win 10 games. I am just saying...make a realistic prediction rather than the prediction that you HOPE is going to happen. Its is great that UNC has a great defense, but they aren't the only team in the conference with NFL-ready talent. VT, Miami and GT ALL have NFL talent on their defense. The difference between them and UNC is that they also have NFL talent on their offense.

All I am saying is that going from 8-5 to 10-2 is a lot different than going from 5-7 to 7-5. Going 10-2 means that you are essentially a top 10 team and the best team in your conference. Unless Carolina holds every opponent it plays to under 20 points (hard to do in CFB) I don't see them winning more than 8 games. It is going to be especially difficult without your best interior lineman.

UNC is like 5-1 against ranked teams in the last two years, and the one loss was by 2 points. They have no problem getting up for the big games. Like I said before, it's the games they are supposed to win that they have trouble with, so it makes perfect sense to believe they can beat VT, Miami and LSU. And I will say it again, LSU is not as good as some of you think they are.

#58 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:23 PM

UNC is like 5-1 against ranked teams in the last two years, and the one loss was by 2 points. They have no problem getting up for the big games. Like I said before, it's the games they are supposed to win that they have trouble with, so it makes perfect sense to believe they can beat VT, Miami and LSU. And I will say it again, LSU is not as good as some of you think they are.

Right...but they are better than UNC, which is what matters.

Their offensive line goes:

6-6 324
6-6 315
6-5 280
6-4 300
6-4 300

If you guys don't have Marvin Austin for that game then they are going to be able to move your DL and control tempo.

Then when you look at their perimeter they have Reuben Randle (#1 player in the nation for 2009) and Terrance Tolliver a 6-5 junior who averaged 14 YPC last year.

On defense you have Patrick Peterson and Kelvin Sheppard who must be pretty damn good because they made first team SEC defensive team.

If their QB puts together a solid game then I just don't see this going Carolina's way because IDT there is any way that TJ Yates is going to move the ball on them. And if you throw Bryn Renner out there when Yates struggles then you essentially just fed him to the wolves after not starting him.

#59 ElkinPanthersFan

ElkinPanthersFan

Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

True but I would still kill to have a unquestionable champion every year. The champion should be decided on the field not by businessmen in suits....

This is why I do not watch BCS football or care about it..

#60 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• HUDDLER
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:52 PM

This is why I do not watch BCS football or care about it..

Why watch BCS football when you can watch Rec League?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com