Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pstall

I guess we will find out tomorrow why it's crucial to have 2 rb's.

62 posts in this topic

I fear the fickle ***** that is change.

Having said that, being a self-proclaimed schedule nerd, I like the system with the current schedule (division teams twice each, one division from NFC, one from AFC, and two other NFC teams). How would those extra two games be created without tearing a hole in the fabric of the space-time continuum????

1.21 GIGAWATTS!!!

1 person likes this

Keep the 16 game schedule, cut it down to 3 preseason games.

Wont happen owners get ticket money for 20 regular season games.

Increasing the roster is useless.. Your stars are going to play regardless of how many scrubs you add to the roster..

18 games is full of greed and will be the downfall of football faster than any upside...

The increased roster isn't to rest stars but deal with the inevitable increase in injuries. I wonder if folks said the same thing when they increased the season from 12 to 14 games and then 14 to 16 games.

1 person likes this

If your lucky in a 16 game season you can lock it up by 13 or 14 an sit starters.

Would this mean second stringer would have more of an impact? Or teams would have more quality players which requires more money and a source for these players.

Imagine 18 games. Locked up at week 14 that's 4 games of bullshit money making. Then you have a month rested team going against one that isn't. When losing teams start to lose they aren't going to all of a sudden win if they just geniunly suck.

16 is perfect I think, keeps quality in check.

I don't get the whole greed thing, as if the owners are the only people profiting from an 18 game schedule?

1. We, as fans, get two extra weeks of real football. I mean if you don't want to see more games then why are you watching any at all? Do you just wait until the post season starts and then start watching like most NBA fans do?

2. The players already play 20 games (not counting postseason) so cutting 2 preseason and adding 2 regular season games will mean more chances to show what they are worth for bigger contracts in future seasons.

3. Larger roster size gives "scrubs" the chance to show themselves due to injuries to the starters in front of them or just to make the roster which means they get paid.

4. TV/radio networks would most likely benefit from 2 extra games through advertising (unless they're in Jax, TB, Det, Buf, etc.)

So, its not about the owners since they'll actually be paying more money in contracts and if the league was smart, they'd increase benefits to retired players since the extra 2 games a year will obviously take a toll on most NFL players. What greed are you referring to?

1 person likes this

I find it funny every time roger goodell talks about this he says "this is what the fans want"

Maybe the fickle fans but the hardcore fans most do not want this.

I think the season is too long by a couple weeks as it is. Shorten the season to 14 games and keep the preseason games at 2 or 3. there is only so much abuse these guys can take and I think that unless we do that the game will be neutered in ways we really dont want to see. As more medical knowledge becomes available as to how the human body is permanently incapacitated by this sport, the players and public will have something to say about it, and we will wind up with glorified flag football if we keep adding to the season length. I'd rather watch quality than quantity .

I would not mind 18 games as long as there is 2 pre-season games. No need to pay anymore then we do.

The increased roster isn't to rest stars but deal with the inevitable increase in injuries. I wonder if folks said the same thing when they increased the season from 12 to 14 games and then 14 to 16 games.

that's possible, but I'm also curious if RBs broke down as quickly as they do now.. (as with other positions)

you see more hamstring, acl, etc injuries today than in the past.. perhaps players are getting bigger and faster.. but to say playing more games doesn't affect that isn't something I can buy into..

if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

the NFL is huge, there is no need to water down the competition by expanding more games and putting more stress on players.. (if you choose to believe that.. I do.)

I think the season is too long by a couple weeks as it is. Shorten the season to 14 games and keep the preseason games at 2 or 3. there is only so much abuse these guys can take and I think that unless we do that the game will be neutered in ways we really dont want to see. As more medical knowledge becomes available as to how the human body is permanently incapacitated by this sport, the players and public will have something to say about it, and we will wind up with glorified flag football if we keep adding to the season length. I'd rather watch quality than quantity .

True..I am waiting on the documentary that sets football back 100 years.

and this 18 game schedule will help

What are the fans losing if the league goes to 18 games? I've yet to see a logical answer even though everyone complains about how its so "perfect" now.

What are the fans losing if the league goes to 18 games? I've yet to see a logical answer even though everyone complains about how its so "perfect" now.

Football is the hardest sport on your body (unless you count rugby).. if logic is what you want, you could try that rabbit hole..