Photo
- - - - -

Raise Your Hand

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#25 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

SUPPORTER

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:18 AM

You can't blame Boise for the fact that the conference they are in hasn't made any progress while they have dominated it. They've been scheduling tough non-conference games for the past few years and finally jumped at the opportunity to leave and go to the MWC. You can't fault them for at least trying to take the next step to a possible NC game.

The "you can't blame them" argument is absurd. Blame is absolutely irrelevant to the facts. They play an easier schedule. I don't care who's doing it is, they have an unfair advantage. You can't blame BCS schools for playing in a tougher conference.

The are going to the MWC. Not exactly a difficult conference either. Maybe a bit more, but still a walk through for the most part. I feel for Boise, I really do. But the fact is they have an unfair advantage. I don't care who's fault it is.

#26 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:34 AM

The "you can't blame them" argument is absurd. Blame is absolutely irrelevant to the facts. They play an easier schedule. I don't care who's doing it is, they have an unfair advantage. You can't blame BCS schools for playing in a tougher conference.

The are going to the MWC. Not exactly a difficult conference either. Maybe a bit more, but still a walk through for the most part. I feel for Boise, I really do. But the fact is they have an unfair advantage. I don't care who's fault it is.

In 1984 BYU won the national title by beating a totally average Michigan team by six points in their bowl game. Four or five other teams had beaten Michigan by worse scores that year.

The strength of schedule argument IS the argument when there is no playoff.

#27 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

SUPPORTER

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:36 AM

I agree.

#28 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

HUDDLER

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:38 AM

I agree.

She's still mine. (growls)

#29 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

SUPPORTER

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:50 AM

She's still mine. (growls)

Never! :mad:

#30 cbarrier90

cbarrier90

HUDDLER

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:28 AM

In 1984 BYU won the national title by beating a totally average Michigan team by six points in their bowl game. Four or five other teams had beaten Michigan by worse scores that year.

The strength of schedule argument IS the argument when there is no playoff.

The idea that the BCS is a "playoff" becomes flawed when the team that is undefeated gets left out of the NC in favor of a team with one, or in the case of LSU 07, two losses.

I agree that Boise's schedule is not nearly on par with that of the typical BCS conferences. However, they have gone undefeated twice now over the span of four years including two wins in BCS bowl games. Now they have a pre-season Top 5 ranking and just beat 10th ranked Va Tech at a "neutral" site with a partial VT crowd. They've proven they can play with the "big boys," so why not let them try for a NC?

I question whether or not non-AQ teams truly have a shot at the national championship in this system. Given their body of work and the "BCS-busting" they have done over the years, if Boise is the only team in the country to go undefeated when all is said and done and they are still left out, the answer to that question is a resounding "no."

#31 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

HUDDLER

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:33 AM

The idea that the BCS is a "playoff" becomes flawed when the team that is undefeated gets left out of the NC in favor of a team with one, or in the case of LSU 07, two losses.

I agree that Boise's schedule is not nearly on par with that of the typical BCS conferences. However, they have gone undefeated twice now over the span of four years including two wins in BCS bowl games. Now they have a pre-season Top 5 ranking and just beat 10th ranked Va Tech at a "neutral" site with a partial VT crowd. They've proven they can play with the "big boys," so why not let them try for a NC?

I question whether or not non-AQ teams truly have a shot at the national championship in this system. Given their body of work and the "BCS-busting" they have done over the years, if Boise is the only team in the country to go undefeated when all is said and done and they are still left out, the answer to that question is a resounding "no."

I think in this system they can and probably will play for the national title IF they take care of business. I also think most people just don't like the non playoff system.

#32 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

SUPPORTER

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:17 PM

While I somewhat agree with you, I don't think you can look to previous seasons in regards to this one. Past teams beating other past teams should have no bearing on current seasons. And we need to wait and see how VT does for the remainder of the season. The entire 1st quarter they looked horrible. Yet another disadvantage of scheduling the "good teams" before they hit their stride and are in mid-season form is can you honestly say they played the best VT team?

#33 Ohio

Ohio

The Wizzard of Wisdom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:35 PM

It's bad for Boise when you can count their marquee wins on 1 hand.