Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Epicurus on God

58 posts in this topic

Posted

I always wonder why people of faith take an attempt at rational deconstruction of religion(not even their own, just the existence of god) as a personal attack. As if it is taboo to question, ridicule, even make outright fun of religion. Why?

I know I used to feel that way, no matter how calm I tried to be.

I always felt like "THEY JUST DON'T GET IT, THEY CAN'T KNOW JOY".

Perhaps on this board, a few noisy non-believers like myself dominate these dicussions.

I assure you, IRL, this is not the case.

In fact, IRL, the atheist is like a man with a second head on his shoulders.

Weird as hell.

The sensitivity of religious discussion and deconstruction does explain how it can boil the blood hot enough to do bad things to the non-believer over though, doesn't it?

Posted

So they really got 72 virgins?

That's the good news. The bad news is that there was a reason they were all virgins.

Posted

Why would anyone "bite" on this? Simple logic cannot be argued against with "faith". You either have it or you don't. Come to think of it, that concept seems fatally flawed as well - If we are going to hell for not believing, and we do not believe because we have the capacity to understand logic and apply reason, and God gave us this capacity to understand logic and apply reason....wow my head is going to explode.

Indeed, which is why "my guy" Martin Luther called reason "the devil's *****".

Also why he hated Aristotle so much.

Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.- Martin Luther

I used to be cool with that. Not anymore.

Posted

Religion is like middleschool clicks....one is the cool kids, one is the nerds, one is the goths.....one is the jocks.... and they all dont like each other. Middle school crap IMO

Posted

People don't fly airplanes into towers over the speed of light, time travel, doggie love, or ancient aliens.

So you're comparing run of the mill everyday Christians to terrorists masquerading as holy warriors?

I always wonder why people of faith take an attempt at rational deconstruction of religion(not even their own, just the existence of god) as a personal attack. As if it is taboo to question, ridicule, even make outright fun of religion. Why?

I know I used to feel that way, no matter how calm I tried to be.

I always felt like "THEY JUST DON'T GET IT, THEY CAN'T KNOW JOY".

Perhaps on this board, a few noisy non-believers like myself dominate these dicussions.

I assure you, IRL, this is not the case.

In fact, IRL, the atheist is like a man with a second head on his shoulders.

Weird as hell.

The sensitivity of religious discussion and deconstruction does explain how it can boil the blood hot enough to do bad things to the non-believer over though, doesn't it?

Its hardly a taboo question and one that, in my opinion, that must be asked in order for belief to follow.

Ill go down the road with you on whats wrong with the organizations that have grown up to support what is at its core a very simple belief. Hell Ill probably agree with you on a great many points. I'm just going to get testy when people start insinuating that I'm less rational or less intelligent because I choose to believe something they themselves do not.

Posted

So you're comparing run of the mill everyday Christians to terrorists masquerading as holy warriors?

Well, you know, probably the one and only thing they have in common is their belief in a God

Posted

I don't remember calling anyone less intelligent for having faith. I might have, but I call people stupid for less meaningful reasons than faith. lol

I know quite a few people of faith that I consider MUCH more intelligent than myself.

What I DO find interesting is many of these same brilliant people seem unwilling or unable to shine their otherwise razor-sharp intellect on matters of faith.

WHY?

NOMA is a frequent position, but I consider that argument an intellectual copout.

Posted

See? The quote referred to God. Not "the Christian God". Everyones points about "my God is great, yours sucks" get cemented into stone even more with statements like this.

Never mind I never mentioned run of the mill anyone - I also didn't compare terrorists to Muslims, in case you were wondering.

Posted

Before the board crashed I cant even begin to count the back and forth posts Ive had with most of you over this. Lets face it, no amount of proof I offer or discussion is gonna change any of your minds like nothing on here you offer is gonna change my mind. Its useless. I have a personal relationship with my God, thats why I believe. Ive seen things that could only be described as miracles happen, and you believe its coincidence or Im just crazy. Im OK with all of that. It just seems that if you believe in the "Christian"God on here you are gonna get ridiculed. Im just curious why you never see the Christians on here ridiculing the Agnostics( which means you just dont know) or the Athiests( a term that in itself is self defeating), its because we dont care. I pray for you guys all the time that maybe God would reveal himself to you in such a way that you might believe, but if you dont then Im not gonna belittle you over it and compare what you dont believe to santa or the tooth fairy. I wouldnt come on here and insult your family, but you guys dont ever mind coming on here and insulting something that I hold as dear to my heart as my family.

Posted

You pray for Him to reveal himself to us, then tell us you won't belittle us if it doesn't happen. Does that not sound the least bit odd to you?

Posted

Im Agnostic, and really if you want to believe in religion thats fine with me, I have seen many peoples lives be turned around by it...Christianity, Islam, any of the Eastern "isms"

But you must remember that non believers are the giant minority and its like an animal trapped in the corner, they are gonna come out swinging, if your faith was attacked would you not do the same? You may not see people on this board, but it happens every single day in life!

Posted

If there is a God, why did John Kasay miss that field goal against the Giants?