Photo
- - - - -

Epicurus on God

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#31 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:33 PM

I don't remember calling anyone less intelligent for having faith. I might have, but I call people stupid for less meaningful reasons than faith. lol

I know quite a few people of faith that I consider MUCH more intelligent than myself.

What I DO find interesting is many of these same brilliant people seem unwilling or unable to shine their otherwise razor-sharp intellect on matters of faith.

WHY?

NOMA is a frequent position, but I consider that argument an intellectual copout.

#32 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,348 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:35 PM

So you're comparing run of the mill everyday Christians to terrorists masquerading as holy warriors?

See? The quote referred to God. Not "the Christian God". Everyones points about "my God is great, yours sucks" get cemented into stone even more with statements like this.

Never mind I never mentioned run of the mill anyone - I also didn't compare terrorists to Muslims, in case you were wondering.

#33 tattoorhino

tattoorhino

Follower of Christ

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:09 PM

Before the board crashed I cant even begin to count the back and forth posts Ive had with most of you over this. Lets face it, no amount of proof I offer or discussion is gonna change any of your minds like nothing on here you offer is gonna change my mind. Its useless. I have a personal relationship with my God, thats why I believe. Ive seen things that could only be described as miracles happen, and you believe its coincidence or Im just crazy. Im OK with all of that. It just seems that if you believe in the "Christian"God on here you are gonna get ridiculed. Im just curious why you never see the Christians on here ridiculing the Agnostics( which means you just dont know) or the Athiests( a term that in itself is self defeating), its because we dont care. I pray for you guys all the time that maybe God would reveal himself to you in such a way that you might believe, but if you dont then Im not gonna belittle you over it and compare what you dont believe to santa or the tooth fairy. I wouldnt come on here and insult your family, but you guys dont ever mind coming on here and insulting something that I hold as dear to my heart as my family.

#34 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,348 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:21 PM

You pray for Him to reveal himself to us, then tell us you won't belittle us if it doesn't happen. Does that not sound the least bit odd to you?

#35 bredy087

bredy087

The Comeback Kid

• HUDDLER
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

Im Agnostic, and really if you want to believe in religion thats fine with me, I have seen many peoples lives be turned around by it...Christianity, Islam, any of the Eastern "isms"

But you must remember that non believers are the giant minority and its like an animal trapped in the corner, they are gonna come out swinging, if your faith was attacked would you not do the same? You may not see people on this board, but it happens every single day in life!

#36 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:25 PM

If there is a God, why did John Kasay miss that field goal against the Giants?

#37 bredy087

bredy087

The Comeback Kid

• HUDDLER
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:27 PM

hahahahaha

#38 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:29 PM

It must have been part of the plan.

#39 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:42 PM

evil is as much a part of god as good. these are simply terms that we as short sighted humans use to describe how things affect us directly in our very small, very short lives. we have no perspective which is why we use very blunt, blanket terms like "good" and "evil" when life and god are much more complex conceptually, let alone in reality. To designate something or someone as "good" or "evil" oversimplifies matters and allows categorization where there should be further exploration. simply put, these terms allow for a more palatable world, one where (as people above put it,) everyone falls into a nice clean group.

#40 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,348 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:20 PM

You mean like believers and non-believers? Gays and straights? Murderers and pro-lifers?

Do you think organized religion will go for a concept like that? The idea of the world being cast in shades of grey is not a good sign for religious types and Republicans combined.

#41 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:38 PM

You mean like believers and non-believers? Gays and straights? Murderers and pro-lifers?

Do you think organized religion will go for a concept like that? The idea of the world being cast in shades of grey is not a good sign for religious types and Republicans combined.

I'm a Republican and I hate organized religion.

#42 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:07 PM

it's less shades of gray than everything being part of everything else. it's more like matter and energy. there are differences between matter and energy and physically they do not behave the same way but in the end they are simply different phases of the same thing. Shades of gray implies judgment in itself. The world is a cruel place, it is a painful place, but without that pain we would not grow, we would stagnate. Cruelty isn't evil, pain isn't evil, it is necessary and gives us motivation and perspective. Death is necessary for life, every time you eat, something has to die for you to live, these things are not evil, they are necessary.

I have to work. This is too long a conversation for now. I'll get back to it this evening.

#43 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:25 PM

What are people's thoughts on this video (just this clip, not any of the 9/11 crap)? I think it's the most logical explanation I've seen for a lot of the stories of Jesus and the New Testament.

[ame][/ame]

#44 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,348 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:39 PM

I'm a Republican and I hate organized religion.

In that regard, I was referring to the "America is good and the terrorists are evil" vibe -

#45 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

it's less shades of gray than everything being part of everything else. it's more like matter and energy. there are differences between matter and energy and physically they do not behave the same way but in the end they are simply different phases of the same thing. Shades of gray implies judgment in itself. The world is a cruel place, it is a painful place, but without that pain we would not grow, we would stagnate. Cruelty isn't evil, pain isn't evil, it is necessary and gives us motivation and perspective. Death is necessary for life, every time you eat, something has to die for you to live, these things are not evil, they are necessary.

I can agree with that. Doesn't make me think anymore that there is a God somewhere with a Divine Plan.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com