Photo
- - - - -

Epicurus on God

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#46 JoCoLoco

JoCoLoco

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:46 PM

Im Agnostic, and really if you want to believe in religion thats fine with me, I have seen many peoples lives be turned around by it...Christianity, Islam, any of the Eastern "isms"

But you must remember that non believers are the giant minority and its like an animal trapped in the corner, they are gonna come out swinging, if your faith was attacked would you not do the same? You may not see people on this board, but it happens every single day in life!

Nobody questioned non-belief. Vice versa.

#47 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:27 PM

It's so much easier to blame God for the world's problems.

#48 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:46 PM

In that regard, I was referring to the "America is good and the terrorists are evil" vibe -

I wish anyone who disagrees with that would leave. And I don't apologize for that attitude.

#49 tattoorhino

tattoorhino

Follower of Christ

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:07 PM

The God I believe in loves terrorists as much as he does americans and I hate the fact we sometimes believe we have cornered the market on the "Christian" God.

#50 bredy087

bredy087

The Comeback Kid

• HUDDLER
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:17 PM

Well we have havent we....I mean the god of Islam cant be the same god we believe in right? Oh wait people are just so blind they dont even realize he is the same god.

#51 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:09 PM

I can agree with that. Doesn't make me think anymore that there is a God somewhere with a Divine Plan.

whatever works for you. I dunno what a god's plan would look like. odds are, i wouldn't recognize one if i saw it.

#52 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:06 AM

It's so much easier to blame God for the world's problems.

True. But that goes both ways.

#53 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:10 AM

True. But you go both ways.

When Shinner reads this...

#54 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:05 AM

At the end of the day, none of us will know until we die...Anything else is speculative and/or faith based. I hope there is a God, or all that we know, or think we know, in terms of the known universe is messed up.

#55 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:50 PM

True. But that goes both ways.

More often than not, "He" gets the blame instead of the credit it seems. I hear "how could God let this happen" far more than God being credited for a genuine miracle. Maybe because more bad poo happens than miracles, I don't know....but people are pretty quick to blame God for things that happen at the hands of men. Maybe this is what Epi means by "free will" but that's what makes sense to me.

When Shinner reads this...

Up yours you NASCAR loving shitbag :)

#56 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:08 PM

More often than not, "He" gets the blame instead of the credit it seems. I hear "how could God let this happen" far more than God being credited for a genuine miracle. Maybe because more bad sh*t happens than miracles, I don't know....but people are pretty quick to blame God for things that happen at the hands of men. Maybe this is what Epi means by "free will" but that's what makes sense to me.

Up yours you NASCAR loving sh*tbag :)

Interesting post shinner.

I'm not sure if that is what "free will" is about, but I find the other concept you mention of "blame" to be of particular interest.

Perhaps this is just the perspective on the NONbeliever, but I think quite the opposite.

To me, the "almighty" gets a MEGA pass.
As in, all the bad sh*t that happens in the world is "nature", in fact, insurance language doesn't even use "act of God" anymore.

See, God gets credit for the good stuff, miracles, underdogs winning sports games, etc., but when a guy hacks apart kids, a fire kills a young family, or cancer takes down a person in the prime of their life.....well, that aint god, somehow it is something else.

So the 999 guys that DIE from cancer before seeing their kids graduate from college, get married, have kids, etc. it was just that damn cancer, or the wrong treatment, or His "plan", and the 1 guy that has a "miracle" remission was somehow blessed by god.

Gimme a break.

So I see it totally the opposite, I guess.

#57 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:16 PM

I really envy people who can have faith in a religion. It does make life more bearable.

I just can't buy the spiel. I don't hold it against anyone who can. Quite the opposite.

#58 bredy087

bredy087

The Comeback Kid

• HUDDLER
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:28 PM

I really envy people who can have faith in a religion. It does make life more bearable.

I just can't buy the spiel. I don't hold it against anyone who can. Quite the opposite.

I 2nd the motion

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com