Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

That United Owner Front is looking great Jerry.

147 posts in this topic

Posted

the only problem i have with this logic is the massive amount of money he is paying all the players that got cut this season.... that and the fact he will have enough money to buy half the nfl free agents when the lockout is over.

and if he does get some of that talent that will be floating around, ALONG with keeping the stars we have grown ourselves I will gladly say I have overreacted to all this and that he had some Mad Genius/Comic Book villain plan that worked out perfectly.
yeah, i'm trying to look at a bigger picture here and hope it's not an illusion. when the new CBA is reached and things get back to normal, there are going to be tons of FA hitting the market. probably the best FA there has been in a decade at least.

All those teams that have spent a lot of money and have wrapped up players in big long term deals will be wishing they waited while they watch those who pinched their pennies and cleared cap space take advantage of it.

we may be down at the bottom in money spent and with some loser neighbors but of those teams, the panthers are the only one who are normally big spenders and keep themselves at or near the cap ceiling.

if we have a new coach, he'll have the ability and money to build up the team's weak spots through FA the way he wants to and will have the cap space to do it.

just a quick look at the potential WR FAs next year there are mike sims-walker, steve breaston, malcom floyd, davone bess, jacoby jones, and james jones. i can see several of these guys actually getting free and being able to make an impact on our WR corps if none of the non-smithers steps up this year.

of course this could all blow up in jerry's face but whatever.

1 person likes this

Posted

BruceB, it's ok to not do your best to win for a season ?
if you could just hold back a little one season and have it reap monumental rewards putting you in serious playoff and superbowl contention yearly, wouldn't it be worth it?

Posted

Small minds see whats wrong right now. Great minds see whats wrong with the future. The big picture come into play here. Have you ever heard of a company where the workers make more then the CEOs....

Posted

^^^ Brandon Marshall is one of the worst people in the NFL. I dont care how talented he is, he is a complete piece of poo.

Posted

and generally ignored signing his young talented SuperStars.

I'm not buying the "Can't do big contracts because of possible lockout" excuse either.

Kurb had some very valid points but who do ya'll think we should be wrapping up long term right now?

Posted

Not signing Beason, Kalil or Williams to contract extensions is very telling to me.

Expecting fans to shell out big bucks ( in a bad economy) while you are cutting every corner to save money for the good of the NFL, and not the team, is IMO pitiful.

Posted

I just don't understand. Didn't the front office make Peppers an offer that would have made him the highest paid defensive player in the league?

If they're willing to do that, why not extend Beason/Kalil or sign a free agent/trade for a WR?

I'm not worried about this season because I think we'll do well, but they could have done a lot more had they been more active.

Posted

In a few years when we are contenders every year due to our money saving initiatives now..everyone will be singing Jerry's praises. Patience is a virtue.

1 person likes this

Posted

We could have made a serious attempt at going for Marshall and been fine in the cap room later down the road.. 1) the cap space used on his contract was low for #1 WRs.. 2) he is the best FA to come out and will have been the best (hands down) compared to 2011 FAs.. so "when we can buy half the NFL".. well, we missed our chance...

our #1 WR would be shored up for years.. Smitty could have stepped back into a 1B or 2 role, which he said he wouldn't have been mad about... and our WR corp would have been legit, whereas it's pathetic at the moment.. LaFell, and hopefully Jarrett will have been decent compliments.. and not needed as a #2, which we'll be lucky to see happen this year..

---------------

there is no arguing it... we passed up a great opportunity, and for TWO 2nd round picks? come on man....

and who gives a f**k if our entire team isn't Mother Theresa's kin? BM is a playmaker.. and young, get off your soapbox.. the Dolphins are going to benefit huge from him.. we could have..

I'm so tired of hearing how someone isn't a perfect fit for our team.. you see what we're getting now? ADD 1 PLAYMAKER... if he shows up on Sunday's and changes the game, that's all I need to know..

1 person likes this

Posted

if you could just hold back a little one season and have it reap monumental rewards putting you in serious playoff and superbowl contention yearly, wouldn't it be worth it?

Sure, but my question is "Isn't that a pretty big gamble ?" For us yea. For JR who gets 100's of millions no matter what our record, not really.

Like I said if the diabolical plan works, someone bump this thread and I will tell everyone I was wrong.

Posted

Good post Kurb. The fans and PSL owners deserve a winner. PERIOD. I dont give a damn about CBA's or possible lockout. The NBA is facing a potential lockout next year, but they aint stop half the league shelling out millions upon millions in new contracts this summer. Including the biggest free agency chase in perhaps sports history. Using the "potential lockout" as an excuse to shed salary and not field a competitive squad dont fly.

Posted

Kurb had some very valid points but who do ya'll think we should be wrapping up long term right now?
kalil, beason, williams in that order.

maybe charles johnson but that might not be necessary and can probably wait to find out.

beyond that we will be fine either way.