Photo
- - - - -

Geithner Accepted IMF Reimbursement for Taxes He Didn’t Pay

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:32 PM

From Byron York of National Review online:

Although it has been dismissed by some observers as a “hiccup” in an otherwise smooth confirmation process, treasury secretary-designate Timothy Geithner’s failure to pay self-employment taxes during the years he worked at the International Monetary Fund is causing some Republicans on Capitol Hill to ask serious questions about his actions. First among those questions is why he accepted payment from the IMF as restitution for taxes that he had not, in fact, paid.

I just find it curious that everybody's ok with the guy who will be in charge of the IRS failing to pay taxes until the vetting was done, even Republicans. Why isn't anyone bothered by it?

#2 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

Because 85 percent like Obama, and that's all that matters.

#3 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,345 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:47 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28642237/

He paid some of the taxes in 2006, after an IRS audit discovered the discrepancy for taxes paid in 2003 and 2004. But it wasn't until much later — days before Obama tapped him to head treasury late last year — that Geithner paid back most of the taxes, incurred in 2001 and 2002. He did so after Obama's transition team found that Geithner had made the same tax mistake his first two years at the IMF as the one the IRS found he made during his final two years there.

Hey, Obama vetted someone properly, informed him he still owed taxes that the freaking IRS didn't find, and he paid them.

Add to the fact that most Republicans really think he is the best guy they are going to see nominated, and it's a no brainer. Unless, of course, you are bored and post National Review articles to see what you can stir up.

#4 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:51 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28642237/

Hey, Obama vetted someone properly, informed him he still owed taxes that the freaking IRS didn't find, and he paid them.

Add to the fact that most Republicans really think he is the best guy they are going to see nominated, and it's a no brainer. Unless, of course, you are bored and post National Review articles to see what you can stir up.

I'm worried about the guy who's supposed to be overseeing the rest of us paying our taxes not paying his until he "had to." He knew he owed them ... even applied and apparently received the reimbursement for them. I do understand why it doesn't bother you.

#5 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,345 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

I didn't say if it bothered me, I said that Obamas team found he still owed more - I have no clue if he knew, or if he thought they were paid already, or he's a lying cheating scumbag. If Lindsey freaking Graham says he's the man....and Obama says he's the man...then chances are he's the man.

We could appont the little old lady that lives a few houses down from me for this job, she knows jack about the ecomomy but her 1040EZs check out year after year, so what the heck?

#6 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:27 PM

From the discussion on NPR about it, he just needs to be more careful when choosing his accountant.

#7 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,345 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:31 PM

Oh, you need to stop listening to NPR and get the facts from the National Review. Clearly his "Obama worshipping" has led to him wanting "something for nothing"!

#8 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:55 PM

Yeah, 'cause NPR has no slant at all.

#9 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,345 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:57 PM

I am sure that they hire Asians from time to time.

#10 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:09 PM

Yeah, 'cause NPR has no slant at all.

It wasn't reported as part of the news. They were interviewing some author talking about the IRS and certain code changes, and they briefly discussed Geithner. Basically said it was an accounting error and proof positive that even the experts need to insure that they hire good accountants.

#11 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:27 PM

The dude can't manages his own finances, and we want him to handle America's?

#12 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,345 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:54 PM

Why the hell not, you can't handle your own apostrophes and we let you write.

#13 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:54 AM

You don't have a SAY in allowing me to write, bro! Of course, after the Dems push the Fairness Doctrine through, they'll probably go after internet conservatives next. Dems and free speech!!! HAHAHAHAHA!

Let me know when essay writing becomes an integral part of posting on message boards...K!

#14 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:02 AM

Posted Image

#15 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,345 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:28 AM

You don't have a SAY in allowing me to write, bro! Of course, after the Dems push the Fairness Doctrine through, they'll probably go after internet conservatives next. Dems and free speech!!! HAHAHAHAHA!

Let me know when essay writing becomes an integral part of posting on message boards...K!

Looks lke the "Fairness Doctrine" is the republicans version of the illegal wiretapping issue, except that the Fairness Doctrine needs to be voted on in public and hasn't happened (and of course, will not).

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com