Photo
- - - - -

A pet's 10 commandments

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#46 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:39 PM

wow. I remember when I was a kid, my parents were friends with somebody that owned a macaw (i think.) It was around 50 years old. I always thought it was unbelievable. That bird had so much personality.

My dad had an umbrella cockatoo. It was like having a two year old child in the house...with a killer beak.

#47 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

HUDDLER

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:03 PM

My GSD puppy just turned 1 a few days ago, but I had 2 dogs previous in my life that passed (around 7-10 years old) so I know how it is. My parents showed me the correct way of taking care of an animal growing up so nothing pisses me off when people chain up a dog and that's the dogs life, I don't get the point. Anytime we can include the dog on family things we always do, and that makes your dog a better dog, they really get used to stuff.

And I'll tell you something, there's a special bond between a guy and his dog, it's really hard to explain, but there's a reason we've loved them for thousands of years. My father really never cried when I was growing up but when we had to put my last childhood dog down he was crying that night at the emergency vet.

#48 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

HUDDLER

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:04 PM

My dad had an umbrella cockatoo. It was like having a two year old child in the house...with a killer beak.

fun.

#49 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

HUDDLER

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:57 PM

fun.

You have no idea. This is the God's honest truth...at least seven remote controls. Pencils. Pens. He figured out how to escape his cage and every time he got out he went after stuff he saw us use. We'd come in and see remote control buttons laying all over the floor. He loved to sneak up to people who were laying on the couch, climb up and spread his wings and go "Haaaaaahhhhhh" like a vampire or something. Scared the poo out of the uninitiated. We used to have this routine for guests. We'd let him out and I would make him chase me around the room. I was like a bullfighter because he was so mad if he ever got a hold of me I'd probably be in the hospital with huge beak wounds to my feet and legs. They don't really walk so much as hop around, and he had his feathers up so he looked like an Indian chief.

That bird had more personality than any other pet I've ever seen, but it was just too much. We ended up giving him to some sanctuary. He probably bit someone and had to be put down. He bit every female he could.

#50 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

HUDDLER

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:21 PM

I took my dog out and spent a little more time running around with her tonight. She's now exhausted and napping on the floor.

And I did it all because of Meat. And Winn-Dixie.

#51 Bruce

Bruce

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:29 PM

That is great stuff...........just might take Bruce for a ride tonight

Edited by Bruce, 15 September 2010 - 06:57 PM.
can't spell

#52 5158Poundin

5158Poundin

Here Kitty Kitty

SUPPORTER

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:37 PM

The little newborn kitten that was in my car didn't make it. Tore apart my whole front end to get to him. My mom was on kitten duty when he died. She held him in her lap until he was gone.

Damn that makes me so sad.....babies dying are the worst...

#53 boo7382

boo7382

HUDDLER

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:45 PM

thats why Im so happy I rescued my baby from the shelter :) they put them down there.

we looked at the puppies when I was there too and I cried.

I wish I coulda taken all the puppies!

#54 sunbunny

sunbunny

HUDDLER

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:02 PM

He was out there all Friday night, because we couldn't find him but could hear him. It was Saturday morning before we found him. Poor Ty had to crawl all under the car. I know that made his mono worse. We were hoping the mama kitty would come back and get him, but she didn't. The cat we now have that recently had kittens wouldn't nurse him (her kittens are weaned). His only chance would have been a nursing mom. He still had his umbilical cord attached.

Crap, now I'm gonna cry. My mom and I both tried, but I knew he wouldn't make it.

#55 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:35 PM

There was a 40 year old quaker - named "Billy" I think - that used to be on a site called quakerville (good site that I haven't been to in a while).

Far as I know, the average is still around fifteen, but they're definitely capable of living longer.

#56 LifeisaGarden

LifeisaGarden

Bitchassness

HUDDLER

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:49 PM

The little newborn kitten that was in my car didn't make it. Tore apart my whole front end to get to him. My mom was on kitten duty when he died. She held him in her lap until he was gone.

Aww, I'm sorry. I was really hoping he would pull through.