Photo
- - - - -

Is a pocket presence something you can learn or a natural talent?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:35 PM

I went back and watched Moores picks and his td under the highlights at nfl.com.

The o-line can't be blamed for his poor decision making, he had time to make better reads or at the very least throw it away on the last 2 picks. The first one I see what he saw and that was Barnidge beating his man, unfortunatley Moore didnt see the safeties lurking.

If he can learn to have a better pocket presence then I think he can easily turn into a fine game manager at the very least. He displayed that he can be a game manager last year. This year I want to see him progress not digress or even stay the same. He now has some good film to watch and learn from, but if he doesen't bounce back in a major way, win or lose then I think Jimmy deserves just 1 shot to earn the job and prove to be more than a game manager but a game winner. If Jimmy does not show this in his 1 chance this year make him wait until next year or until Matt proves he can't even be a game manager.Good luck to you Matt!

#2 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

So Moore gets one shot to prove the job's his, and if he can't, then Clausen gets one shot to prove the job's his.

When is Pike going to get his shot?

#3 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

My take on it is that, generally, anything that has to be instinctive like spacial awareness (or another physical ability) takes time to learn and longer to master. Those are the types of skills that you hone from pee-wee leagues.

Making decisions on where to throw the ball is more about studying and being prepared. Guys learn new offenses all the time and it doesnt take all their lives to master it. Idk maybe it does in way or another.

#4 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:54 PM

So Moore gets one shot to prove the job's his, and if he can't, then Clausen gets one shot to prove the job's his.

When is Pike going to get his shot?

another game like last game and then you have to give Jimmy 1 shot. If Jimmy fails, then go back to Moore.

#5 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,079 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:55 PM

I went back and watched Moores picks and his td under the highlights at nfl.com.

The o-line can't be blamed for his poor decision making, he had time to make better reads or at the very least throw it away on the last 2 picks. The first one I see what he saw and that was Barnidge beating his man, unfortunatley Moore didnt see the safeties lurking.

If he can learn to have a better pocket presence then I think he can easily turn into a fine game manager at the very least. He displayed that he can be a game manager last year. This year I want to see him progress not digress or even stay the same. He now has some good film to watch and learn from, but if he doesen't bounce back in a major way, win or lose then I think Jimmy deserves just 1 shot to earn the job and prove to be more than a game manager but a game winner. If Jimmy does not show this in his 1 chance this year make him wait until next year or until Matt proves he can't even be a game manager.Good luck to you Matt!

he could have possibly hit Barnidge if he put some zip on it....fact still remains putting him out there with recieving option consisting of just LaFell and Barnadge.....with up and down OL play is asking for trouble. They got it.

#6 carolinanimal

carolinanimal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

he could have possibly hit Barnidge if he put some zip on it....fact still remains putting him out there with recieving option consisting of just LaFell and Barnadge.....with up and down OL play is asking for trouble. They got it.

i have noticed from last year he tends to float a lot of passes that he should gun. is this a arm strength issue or a touch issue?

#7 Miaoww

Miaoww

• HUDDLER
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:07 PM

He has an adequate NFL arm. He could have gunned that throw if he'd have wanted to.

As for pocket presence: it's something you learn as a very young QB. At this point you either have it or you don't.

#8 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:08 PM

Ive been meaning to go back and watch that play with Barny. I dont recall him doing a very good job of meeting that ball at the apex.

#9 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:10 PM

another game like last game and then you have to give Jimmy 1 shot. If Jimmy fails, then go back to Moore.

After the last two years with Jake, I can understand that we Carolina fans are yearning for a quarterback who can -- at the very least -- not lose games. But whomever it is we go with, be it Moore or Clausen, deserves more than a game or two to prove or disprove themselves.

Being stuck with Jake for so long has really turned us into a fanbase that seems to blame everything on the quarterback, it seems. And don't get me wrong -- Moore's performance was terrible last game. But we've seen that he can play, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

If he starts having back-to-back games like the one last week, then maybe I'd put Clausen in. But I wouldn't give him one shot -- I'd leave him in for the season. You're not doing a rookie quarterback any favors by putting him into a horrible situation, letting him play badly, and then not giving him the rest of the season to learn from his mistakes. If you're going to give up on Moore, then you have to buy in to Clausen and let him take his lumps the rest of the year.

#10 rico6

rico6

Shit.

• HUDDLER
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:14 PM

Pocket Presence is an intangible, it's something that you can't "coach".

#11 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • 8,327 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:16 PM

Yeah, I think you either have it or you don't. If you don't, you find other ways to be a success as a QB. If you have it, like Brees, Peyton, and Brady do, you use it to your advantage. You may be able to learn how to move around some, but it's like shooting a perfect jumper in basketball. Some guys just have the gift.

They showed a play from the Pats game last week where Brady dropped back to pass. A Bengal blitzed late and Taylor had to basically turn a 180 and lunge at him at the last second to protect Tom. Brady didn't even LOOK at the blitzer. He knew where he was. He was looking at Welker. He made the pass and didn't get touched. Not only does he trust his blockers, but he also knows if he gets hit, he gets hit. He may have been able to step up too, if the blitzer got any closer. Young QBs without that sense would've more than likely panicked in that siutation.

#12 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,079 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:21 PM

i have noticed from last year he tends to float a lot of passes that he should gun. is this a arm strength issue or a touch issue?

I think it is just being green and his 8 prior starts showing. I think he has the arm strength for a lot of throws....poor judgement on the type pass in that scenario and reading the coverage.

Either way, the few pass plays we run shouldn't consist of rec options like that play did.

#13 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,900 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:21 PM

I still think it goes back to playcalling. If Davidson would stick to the game plan. Moore wouldn't be freaking out trying to force passes in the redzone. The Oline was almost poo, Moore was a little nervous back there...so, it goes back to playcalling to calm down your young inexperienced QB.

#14 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,079 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:22 PM

Pocket Presence is an intangible, it's something that you can't "coach".

Moore's is better than Jake's. Jake would either have horrific presence or good. Wildly inconsistant.

#15 rico6

rico6

Shit.

• HUDDLER
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:26 PM

Moore's is better than Jake's. Jake would either have horrific presence or good. Wildly inconsistant.

Agreed, if Moore can recover from Week 1 I can see him playing at a 'consistent' high level of Football.

Everything's there for him to be a good QB here, but his mind is not. He must seize the chance to lead this team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.