Photo
- - - - -

Is a pocket presence something you can learn or a natural talent?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#46 mj4life

mj4life

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:12 PM

it still happens. You can go back and watch Peyton play early in his career and he had some pretty boneheaded days. Moore's first 9 starts overall have been pretty promising. I am not gonna put too much stock into one game....good or bad. There was a lot noticeably bad that game that Moore shouldn't have had to deal with those scenarios.

sure even great players make mistakes, what i have a problem with is he made these mistakes without the giants doing much to confuse him or put alot of pressure on those 3 plays. was it just a bad game or something else?(time will tell)

Edited by mj4life, 16 September 2010 - 09:15 PM.

#47 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:46 PM

moore should be light years ahead of clausen since he has spent 4 years not only in the pros but in the same system for the most part. the gap between the two will only get smaller unless he starts to play better

So the only differences in quarterbacks can be attributed to the time they've spent in the league?

#48 mj4life

mj4life

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:53 AM

[quote name='Beaux Berry']So the only differences in quarterbacks can be attributed to the time they've spent in the league?[/QUOT]

talent doesn't hurt either

#49 PantherFanForLife

PantherFanForLife

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Banned

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:32 AM

how you see that in jimmy? He hasnt even played!

I am 100% behind Moore as our starter for the time being, but even I took the time to look at some of Jimmy's college videos and you can simply see the kid is just full of confidence and talent behind center. I could see more talent in him than Matt but whether or not that will translate to the pro-level remains to be seen.

As far as pocket presence....

I'm a musician, and when it comes to pocket presence I can kind of relate to it. While anyone can learn how to play music, or an instrument but after playing with and teaching so many types of guys and girls that simply need everything broken down to a science for them to "get it", there is a little something to the "it" factor. While they can eventually get it, it takes a guy like me to show them and explain, and even though I also use theory, and other tools to hone my natural talent...I just simply have natural rythm and ear for it and the same exercises are going to benefit me a lot more than them.

Guys that I played with a year ago, that were at the same level as me back then, are far behind me now even though we have all been practicing the same amount. Pocket presence and QB's is probably very similar. While Matt can "learn", Jimmy can learn better, more efficient, and has a much higher ceiling. There are things he can probably naturally do that he's never had them explained. He just got it.

So it's one of those things.

Unfortunately for me, Jimmy and others, talent is not enough. If I don't learn how to work with others better, slow down from being such a control freak and learning how to be patient with those types of musicians, well then I probably will never get anywhere because at some point in life you have to learn how to work with others and not come off the wrong way. That's something that guys with less talent can sometimes do much better and it can serve to take them even further. Just look at Delhommme. That's something Jimmy also needs to work on.

Edited by PantherFanForLife, 17 September 2010 - 02:38 AM.