Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Scot

Management Philosophy

58 posts in this topic

There is no doubt that we have embarked on a strategy of youth-building which on the surface is a sound idea especially from a business and money point of view. Those of us who have complained and I am one of them, did so for a number of reasons which have been documented elsewhere and don't need reiteration. I will point out that change is good unless it is too widepsread and sudden which I have already stated I believe happened and will cause significant growing pains this year.

But I wanted to direct this post to the fact that most folks seem to think the changes and proverbial bloodletting ended this offseason and I am not necessarily in agreement with that. I think that Fox will be gone and the new coach will come in here and do all he can to bring in who he wants. And with all the 1 year contracts out there and expiring contracts, many of the so called core of players could be gone. That could include Williams, Kalil, Moore, and Davis to name a few. If the coach brings in his veteran quarterback or decides Clausen is not the one ( remember how many pundits and teams passed over him twice) he could be traded like Cassel was or simply relegated to back-up status.

There is no way to know if Hurney and the new coach disagree, who will have the most leverage or who is actually pulling the strings right now or in the future. We think we know but who does really? Given I didn't see all the changes last offseason, I might not be a good person to ask about the future since my crystal ball seems on the fritz. But I wanted to point out that while many folks think things will calm down after last year, the other side of the coin is that this ride might just be getting started.

I think anyone would agree that if the teams attempts to retain their own free agents and go get new ones remains at the level that it did this offseason then we can all yell "Shenanigans" and start kicking people in the shins. But to say this is the long term plan seems more than a little abrupt.

Richardson has gone cheap this year. I don't think that anybody looking at this team could deny that. But it just isn't a valid criticism to say that he doesn't spend money as an owner. For years, we have been near the salary cap threshold. We went with draft picks and young players this year for a number of reasons; the most obvious of which is Richardson's stance on the lockout.

If you don't like it, I understand and you have every right to be angry, stay home and don't go to the games. But if you are acting like Richardson is a bad owner because he doesn't spend money and always fields a sub-par product every year because of it that is simply wrong. We are building through the draft this year and the team might struggle, but this team had too many questions for us to have committed big money in free agency especially this year with all the labor unrest looming.

I suspect that we'll end up with a team pay-roll that might even be higher than normal when the gurantees to folks like Jake are added in. Hard to agree to calling that "gone cheap".

Yes, costs are playing a role in his decisions...take the Tank vs hayden vs Landri move.

JR is looking at and saying....is the marginal upside (if any) Tank adds worth 3 times the salary of Landri or Hayden. Reality check...it isn't.

It is easy to sit here and bash, when you are not the one writing the checks.

Like I said...outside a vet #2 WR signing, I agree with EVERY move this team has made so far.

I don't agree with a number of moves this offseason, but I think there is a valid excuse and a track record that indicates a way of doing business differently than this a majority of the time.

i easily see moore and davis being on the way out (unless davis recovers and signs for cheap which he may have to do).

a new coach comes in and i fully expect there to be some turnover. that could be why hurney hasn't signed his contract...waiting to see what happens there and if h new coach is someone he can work with or that will want to work with him.

Jake Delhomme

Rickey Proehl

Stephen Davis

12-4

NFC Champs

I'm not sayin'

I'm just sayin'...

About all this "will Hurney get along with the new head coach" business, Hurney is the guy who hires the head, why would he hire someone he doesn't get along with?

About all this "will Hurney get along with the new head coach" business, Hurney is the guy who hires the head, why would he hire someone he doesn't get along with?
jerry might have someone else in mind, esp. if hurney hasn't signed his contract. you don't trust the most important hiring job in an organization to a guy who hasn't committed himself to you. until hurney signs his deal, he has no vested interest in this organization and shouldn't be trusted with the hiring of a new coach.

it would be a poor management decision to let hurney make that call without himself being under contract, regardless of how much faith richardson has in him or the size of the contract he placed in front of him.

jerry might have someone else in mind, esp. if hurney hasn't signed his contract. you don't trust the most important hiring job in an organization to a guy who hasn't committed himself to you. until hurney signs his deal, he has no vested interest in this organization and shouldn't be trusted with the hiring of a new coach.

it would be a poor management decision to let hurney make that call without himself being under contract, regardless of how much faith richardson has in him or the size of the contract he placed in front of him.

If it gets to that point, he should just let Hurney walk. It would be kind of stupid to say "hey I did your most important job for you. I hope you guys get along. Welcome back, here's a raise."

I will say that I agree with the Panthers philosophy in general... wouldn't want to see them become the Skins.

Well said.....all the money that organization has shelled out over the years and nothing to show for it.

If it gets to that point, he should just let Hurney walk. It would be kind of stupid to say "hey I did your most important job for you. I hope you guys get along. Welcome back, here's a raise."
he might very wel be doing that. panthers have a weird way of letting people walk from what i can tell. throw an offer on the table that is below what the market will pay to let them know that they aren't as valuable here as they might be elsewhere. if there are no new offers put on the table for marty then you have to conclude that richardson has gone as high as he is going to and that he is content if hurney walks but won't hate it if he stays. we don't know the size of that contract that hurney was offered. whatever it was, it wasn't an offer that hurney couldn't refuse.

i suspect that hurney is primarily staying to see what happens with fox and to support his friend during this season. even if richardson wants hurney to stay more than he wants fox to stay, it doesn't man that hurney will stay. the two of them might want to remain a package deal. if they can get one somewhere then they will probably take it. if they can't then hurney will probably sign the deal.

he might very wel be doing that. panthers have a weird way of letting people walk from what i can tell. throw an offer on the table that is below what the market will pay to let them know that they aren't as valuable here as they might be elsewhere. if there are no new offers put on the table for marty then you have to conclude that richardson has gone as high as he is going to and that he is content if hurney walks but won't hate it if he stays. we don't know the size of that contract that hurney was offered. whatever it was, it wasn't an offer that hurney couldn't refuse.

i suspect that hurney is primarily staying to see what happens with fox and to support his friend during this season. even if richardson wants hurney to stay more than he wants fox to stay, it doesn't man that hurney will stay. the two of them might want to remain a package deal. if they can get one somewhere then they will probably take it. if they can't then hurney will probably sign the deal.

We are, like, super deep into the hypothetical now. I'm just saying it's unlikely that Hurney stays on with a coach that he doesn't like so that seems to be a weird thing to worry about.