Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

methodtoll

Question regarding the possible lockout

21 posts in this topic

"Isn't it possible that a lockout could appear imminent early in the offseason, but resolve itself closer to the season, meaning teams should all prepare for there to be football?"

While the owners have opted out of the current CBA, the drop dead date is March 1, 2011. It is at this point the owners will likely announce their intentions to lock out the players.

"Lots of ? but if I had to guess the Players union will cave right before the season. They cant afforded a strike or lockout."

The players union is in the process of decertifying team by team as we speak. What this means is the players are actually voting to kill their union heading into a lockout for one single reason. Without a certified union, the players can then individually or as a class action file lawsuits against the teams that lock them out.

Read this for a good explanation:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-teams-preparing-for-lockout-fight-091710

1 person likes this

"Isn't it possible that a lockout could appear imminent early in the offseason, but resolve itself closer to the season, meaning teams should all prepare for there to be football?"

While the owners have opted out of the current CBA, the drop dead date is March 1, 2011. It is at this point the owners will likely announce their intentions to lock out the players.

"Lots of ? but if I had to guess the Players union will cave right before the season. They cant afforded a strike or lockout."

The players union is in the process of decertifying team by team as we speak. What this means is the players are actually voting to kill their union heading into a lockout for one single reason. Without a certified union, the players can then individually or as a class action file lawsuits against the teams that lock them out.

Read this for a good explanation:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-teams-preparing-for-lockout-fight-091710

While decertifying would allow players to sue it also would give alot more power to the owners. The players wont have the CBA to fall back on the owners would sign players to lower contracts. Would be interesting to see this play out this way. Players without contracts next year will be screwed Im sure the owners will have to honor the other contracts and let them play but new contracts would look alot different. I understand this is just a move for the lockout but the Department of Labor might not intercede on the players half this time. Im also sure that if it fails the players will vote the union back in.

2 people like this

It's hard in this economy for players that make millions demanding more money and regular folks cant even find a 40k job . Hard to feel bad for the players but if they strike f**k it.....The Replacements was a good movie.

It's easier to feel sorry for the players compared to the owners. The owners will get paid during the lockout. Paid well.

The players will not. Which is not a big deal for say Payton Manning. But it is a huge deal for a practice squad guy or a minimum salary guy who only has a few shots to make an impression. Or an older guy who has only 1 or 2 years left

Take a rookie making $285,000. Done nothing but think football all his life. Believes that he can work his way up to starting in a year or two.

But now he is looking at a full year of $0 and his career is in jeopardy.

When you add in the fact that a players average career is 3.5 years and you will probably get injured. Maybe a few concussions so your brain is in a cloud all the time. And you are the product on the field.

Oh and add in the fact when you are done with your 3.3 years and can't walk anymore and are addicted to painkillers and 75 pounds overweight you will absolutely dick from the NFL pension

While decertifying would allow players to sue it also would give alot more power to the owners. The players wont have the CBA to fall back on the owners would sign players to lower contracts. Would be interesting to see this play out this way. Players without contracts next year will be screwed Im sure the owners will have to honor the other contracts and let them play but new contracts would look alot different. I understand this is just a move for the lockout but the Department of Labor might not intercede on the players half this time. Im also sure that if it fails the players will vote the union back in.

You're absolutely correct. At least with a certified union the players would have a legal entity standing behind them. Now they will be considered nothing more than independent contractors and will have little else to sue over beyond right to work.

But of all the teams that have voted to decertify, they've all been unanimous, which I find very interesting. Interesting because I don't understand how a player who is in a contract year this season could possibly give up what legal rights and representation he has now versus without a union.

And you know the owners saw this possibility coming. It's not as if the NFLPA got away with a sneaky end around and pulled off this move. The players did this once before in '87 or so, it's not something new.

Here's the story associated with the Colts recent vote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5584667

players wanting more money can kiss my ass. People bring up the argument that Football is a tough sport and the life span of an average NFL player is considerably less than the average Jo Blow, so thats why they want more money and such. With that being said, how about professions in the work force, say...cops, doctors, fireman, military, all high stressfull jobs and life span short among most jobs. But hey they only get paid 35k-50k a year at the most (excluding doctors).

Cry me a river

1 person likes this

the league only takes care of of its very top tier players. everyone else is literally expendable. that needs to change.

1 person likes this

players wanting more money can kiss my ass. People bring up the argument that Football is a tough sport and the life span of an average NFL player is considerably less than the average Jo Blow, so thats why they want more money and such. With that being said, how about professions in the work force, say...cops, doctors, fireman, military, all high stressfull jobs and life span short among most jobs. But hey they only get paid 35k-50k a year at the most (excluding doctors).

Cry me a river

I bet you voted for Obama

1 person likes this

In my opinion,the owners hold the uppper hand,so after all the shots have been fired and the smoke has cleared,i feel the players will cave in and make a lot of concessions to avoid a lockout.

2 people like this