Photo
- - - - -

Armanti!?!?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
128 replies to this topic

#76 ECUPantherFan

ECUPantherFan

Wish we had Olsen twins

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:28 PM

Armanti Edwards was a good, unconventional QB at a D1AA school. He's TINY, he isn't NFL fast... he's not going to be able to outrun NFL defenders like he was able to at App.

It's not a good idea to even think about putting him at QB... winner or not.

The REAL question should be does he deserve a roster spot?

#77 VIP

VIP

S-Jax

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:41 PM

Armanti Edwards was a good, unconventional QB at a D1AA school. He's TINY, he isn't NFL fast... he's not going to be able to outrun NFL defenders like he was able to at App.

It's not a good idea to even think about putting him at QB... winner or not.

The REAL question should be does he deserve a roster spot?

If you're from ECU you're probably thinking of Travaris Cadet. Armanti didn't play you guys. I doubt you've even seen him.

#78 ECUPantherFan

ECUPantherFan

Wish we had Olsen twins

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:54 PM

If you're from ECU you're probably thinking of Travaris Cadet. Armanti didn't play you guys. I doubt you've even seen him.

I know who Armanti Edwards is... I have several relatives who went to App, and I (like everyone else) saw the Michigan game... as well as saw App beat Joe Flacco.

He was GREAT on the D1AA level. That doesn't necessarily translate to the NFL level... and so far from what we've seen, he looks a bit overmatched.

#79 VIP

VIP

S-Jax

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:03 PM

I know who Armanti Edwards is... I have several relatives who went to App, and I (like everyone else) saw the Michigan game... as well as saw App beat Joe Flacco.

He was GREAT on the D1AA level. That doesn't necessarily translate to the NFL level... and so far from what we've seen, he looks a bit overmatched.

No doubt he looked overmatched at WR considering it isn't his position. He looked as comfortable as anyone else at QB in the preseason, including Clausen.

I just don't understand the unconventional thing. He passed for over 10,000 yards in his career. Using his running ability and elusiveness as a negative is very unfair. He is very comfortable passing the ball short and long distances. He is a complete quarterback, not a gimmick player.

He's much closer to Michael Vick than he is to Seneca Wallace or Tyrod Taylor

#80 ECUPantherFan

ECUPantherFan

Wish we had Olsen twins

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:07 PM

His height is an issue too... I remember Pat Pinkney from ECU was 6'0 and had a very difficult time seeing over his O-linemen... as a result, he had to roll out a lot.

In the NFL, that'll get you killed... and Armanti is just as short, if not shorter than Pinkney was.

I like Armanti... don't get me wrong. I don't think we should have traded up to get him (NOT because I didn't want him, but because I felt he'd be there later) and had we not given so much up to get him, do you REALLY think he would have survived the cuts?

That said, I hope he becomes a spark for our offense! We need explosive players on offense, and maybe I just haven't seen that "next gear" of his yet.

#81 VIP

VIP

S-Jax

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:19 PM

I agree he wouldn't have survived the cuts if we didn't have so much invested in him. We also would have cut Jimmy Clausen if we demanded he convert to WR and PR. So what? It's dumb enough IMO to make a guy like that convert positions, but it's even dumber to start judging and giving up on him so quickly once the poor decision has been made.

Obviously the Panthers FO saw Armanti's great talent and did what they had to do to get him. But if they aren't going to let him do what made him so great in their eyes, whats the point? Why not move Clausen to linebacker? Like you said, Armanti isn't a monster freak athlete. He's a quarterback. This experiment to destined to probably fail and its not Armanti's fault. He's being screwed

Edited by VIP, 22 September 2010 - 11:25 PM.

#82 CarolinaBlue34

CarolinaBlue34

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:24 PM

Personally i think he could play QB after a few years in the NFL, he just needs to get bigger witch comes with time, Look at Lebron James he was like a toothpick when he came into the NBA, now hes 260 pounds.

On the flip side, i don't think he will ever get a chance to play QB. There won't be a Kurt Warner or Tom Brady situation since he decided to play WR.

#83 Khyber53

Khyber53

I'm a believer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:56 AM

If the season continues as it has, Armanti will get the chance to play QB. Heck, he might even be coaching by season end if things don't turn around.

#84 The_Cannon

The_Cannon

Tickle Me & Rub My Belly!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

Jon Beason is on Packmans show right now and said that he's not sure if Armanti will be activated this week, but he said he has improved leaps and bounds since training camp, he hardly ever drops balls and is getting really polished.

#85 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

Good.... LORD

There is really no debate here. There is reality, then there is App State Alum making themselves look foolish.

Edwards is not a pro QB prospect. Never was. Get over it.

#86 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,847 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:11 PM

Personally i think he could play QB after a few years in the NFL, he just needs to get bigger witch comes with time, Look at Lebron James he was like a toothpick when he came into the NBA, now hes 260 pounds.

On the flip side, i don't think he will ever get a chance to play QB. There won't be a Kurt Warner or Tom Brady situation since he decided to play WR.

Do you know how tall LeBron was when he came into the NBA? Do you know how young he was? Totally different situation.

Armanti's height is a problem.

Pike is a toothpick. Armanti is just short.

Armanti may end up behind center occasionally but he will never be an every down QB barring something miraculous. In fact, I think he has accepted his role as WR. He can make plays happen no matter where he is on the football field now. As he develops, he could really become our next great receiver.

Or, he could end up as nothin' special. We'll have to see.

#87 The_Cannon

The_Cannon

Tickle Me & Rub My Belly!

• HUDDLER
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:14 PM

If wants to be a every down quartback (even though I think he's content being a WR now) he needs to talk to Pat White and see how that worked out...

#88 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,847 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:17 PM

He seems content with just getting into the NFL. He knows plenty of QBs have made the conversion and done well, it'll just take him some time.

I expect he'll pay off in the long run, but since our fans are hungry to win now, he's not going to be cut much slack for not being instant offense.

#89 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,340 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:34 PM

If he wants to be an every down QB he should head to Canada or try that new league with Maurice Clarett in it.

He will contribute just not as fast as a 2nd rder should

#90 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,717 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:41 PM

I just got in a container load of custom Armanti suits from my contact in China. $99 each.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com