Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scouting Jimmy Clausen

93 posts in this topic

Posted

Clausen has a decent longball for a college quarterback. I'm not convinced it's where it needs to be at the pro level, at least not yet.

His general profile is better suited to a west coast type attack, but we don't run that. Nor do we have the right type of receivers to make it work consistently.

That's not saying we have no chance, mind you. But the gameplan will definitely need to be a good one.

we could run a modified WCO with little problem.

Posted

Clausen has a decent longball for a college quarterback. I'm not convinced it's where it needs to be at the pro level, at least not yet.

His general profile is better suited to a west coast type attack, but we don't run that. Nor do we have the right type of receivers to make it work consistently.

That's not saying we have no chance, mind you. But the gameplan will definitely need to be a good one.

Davidson's offense is supposed to be the same one that the Patriots used to win those Superbowls though. They dinked and dunked people to death with that offense, and still do.

We may not have a Wes Welker, but we do have Steve Smith and some RB's that can get yards after the catch, if the ball is on time and on target. Kevin Faulk thrived as a receiver in this offense, and we could use just about any of our RB's the same way.

Posted

we could run a modified WCO with little problem.

Maybe, but to really make it work you need receivers capable of lots of YAC.

Outside of Smith (and Edwards, in theory) do we really have that?

Posted

Davidson's offense is supposed to be the same one that the Patriots used to win those Superbowls though. They dinked and dunked people to death with that offense, and still do.

We may not have a Wes Welker, but we do have Steve Smith and some RB's that can get yards after the catch, if the ball is on time and on target. Kevin Faulk thrived as a receiver in this offense, and we could use just about any of our RB's the same way.

True,and they ran screens almost every 4 to 5 downs.

Posted

I'll give you that we've got runningbacks who could be decent in a WCO, provided we block a little better. We'd need to throw to them more, though.

(something I honestly wish we'd do anyway)

Posted

After watching that video, and with the news of Davidson and Clausen getting together, I have a feeling that Mike Goodson is going to have a huge year.

Posted

Maybe, but to really make it work you need receivers capable of lots of YAC.

Outside of Smith (and Edwards, in theory) do we really have that?

well, thats where the modified comes in. we have to use the RBs, barnidge, and rosario a whole lot but i think between them that we have enough to make it work.

gettis might be able to fit as well as the WR across form smith. thats a stretch, though. i think he's got the speed/acceleration to pull it off, though. if lafell could hold on to the ball, he wouldn't be a bad option either.

Posted

How many starting qb's in the league have a stronger arm than Clausen?

Posted

this is why Mr. Scot is the fugging man. bow to him! love him! rep him!! (and pie him too..)

Posted

Erm, he has a fantastic long ball considering he was throwing that pass without being able to properly push off his back foot. Two torn tendons in your toe will do that to you.

His arm really isn't an issue at all.

Posted

btw, what video?

Posted

watching the saints the other night, it seemed at least half of their pass attempts were screen passes(no wonder Brees' completion percentage was so high last year). They can move the ball up and down the field like that then get that big play to Henderson or Meachem down the field. I think we should adjust to those short plays, I just havent seen the deep accuracy from Jimmy yet so those short passes could set him up with confidence early on.