Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Scot

Scouting Jimmy Clausen

93 posts in this topic

I don't even care about Jimmy's ability to throw the long ball right now. In my mind, this team has needed a much more effecient short to medium range passing game for years. Even if you want to be a running offense, there is nothing wrong with using short passes to set up the run. If you put a couple of good drives together that way, you can pick and choose when you want to take your shots downfield. And Jimmy's arm is good enough to get it there if he needs to.
agreed. give me a really smart, accurate, and confident QB without a big arm over a gunslinger any day.

who cares if it isn't the kind of system that we have run in the past. we got one of those guys now and he's going to be around for a long time, it's time to build the system around him. it won't take much, imo.

Clausen has a decent longball for a college quarterback. I'm not convinced it's where it needs to be at the pro level, at least not yet.

His general profile is better suited to a west coast type attack, but we don't run that. Nor do we have the right type of receivers to make it work consistently.

That's not saying we have no chance, mind you. But the gameplan will definitely need to be a good one.

Zimmer simplified his defense against the Ravens, and the players were happy about it (same as the Panthers did a while back) but I have to beleive that with a rookie starting, he'll throw some multiple looks out there to confuse him.

Which reminds me, Fox is usually one of those guys who reveals nothing until the last moment to keep other team's guessing. In this case though, he let the cat right out of the bag at the start of the week :confused:

if anyone is capable of being thrown into the fire right away, it's going to be clausen.

anyway, the benefit of keeping it quiet until the last moment doesn't really have much benefit beyond the first week. better to just get it all out of the way. you can get on with business without all the sneaking around. it's better for all involved to just get it over and done with so you can get on with getting ready.

i'm thinking it also had a lot to do with trying to get people more interested in coming to the game as well and get some buzz bout the team.

also, with all the QB changes that have taken place this week, you be the first team to get it officially done so it doesn't seem like you are jumping on the "change your QB" bandwagon.

Teams rarely throw a pass more than 30 yards,and our team doesn't have a good enough line for a QB to do it,so Jimmy Dean will be OK!

Clausen has a decent longball for a college quarterback. I'm not convinced it's where it needs to be at the pro level, at least not yet.

His general profile is better suited to a west coast type attack, but we don't run that. Nor do we have the right type of receivers to make it work consistently.

That's not saying we have no chance, mind you. But the gameplan will definitely need to be a good one.

we could run a modified WCO with little problem.

Davidson's offense is supposed to be the same one that the Patriots used to win those Superbowls though. They dinked and dunked people to death with that offense, and still do.

We may not have a Wes Welker, but we do have Steve Smith and some RB's that can get yards after the catch, if the ball is on time and on target. Kevin Faulk thrived as a receiver in this offense, and we could use just about any of our RB's the same way.

we could run a modified WCO with little problem.

Maybe, but to really make it work you need receivers capable of lots of YAC.

Outside of Smith (and Edwards, in theory) do we really have that?

Davidson's offense is supposed to be the same one that the Patriots used to win those Superbowls though. They dinked and dunked people to death with that offense, and still do.

We may not have a Wes Welker, but we do have Steve Smith and some RB's that can get yards after the catch, if the ball is on time and on target. Kevin Faulk thrived as a receiver in this offense, and we could use just about any of our RB's the same way.

True,and they ran screens almost every 4 to 5 downs.

I'll give you that we've got runningbacks who could be decent in a WCO, provided we block a little better. We'd need to throw to them more, though.

(something I honestly wish we'd do anyway)

After watching that video, and with the news of Davidson and Clausen getting together, I have a feeling that Mike Goodson is going to have a huge year.