Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Scot

Scouting Jimmy Clausen

93 posts in this topic

I'm sure this was posted sometime around the draft, but for those that missed it, or didn't care until this week, it's a good, albeit lengthy article on Clausen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=5064085

I read it pre-draft in the print magazine. The story of his first throw is from that article.

Had one of the details wrong though. Apparently his throw was 55 yards :eek:

That link contains what will likely become someone's new avatar...

0408clausen.jpg

I'm sure this was posted sometime around the draft, but for those that missed it, or didn't care until this week, it's a good, albeit lengthy article on Clausen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=5064085

holy crap was that a good read. made my jaw drop quite a few times.

i was going to quote a couple things but there's so many things in there. how in the world did we luck out with this kid? i can't wait to see him in action this sunday.

i feel really good about this. the kid is a machine.

I read it pre-draft in the print magazine. The story of his first throw is from that article.

Had one of the details wrong though. Apparently his throw was 55 yards :eek:

0408clausen.jpg

you have to mention that he was 10 years old when he threw that 55 yarder. :eek::eek:

you have to mention that he was 10 years old when he threw that 55 yarder. :eek::eek:

I did (prior post) but I had the yardage wrong.

Here's the full quote from the link...

Clausen started out as a snarling, spiky-haired, 4'11" youth-league linebacker -- and waterboy for his oldest brother's high school team in Mission Hills, Calif. Under Clarkson's tutelage, Casey Clausen was on his way to Tennessee. (Middle brother Rick, also a QB, would end up there as well.) But it was often the waterboy who stole the show. One day, an errant pass landed on the sideline near Jimmy's feet. He picked it up and fired it back on a rope, 55 yards across the field. Did we mention the kid was in the fifth grade?

"Who the heck is that?" asked Clarkson, sitting in the stands next to the Clausen family.

"That's my son Jimmy," said Jim Clausen, a former assistant football coach at Cal State Northridge who now runs an insurance company. "He's a linebacker."

"Not anymore," Clarkson replied. "He's better than your other kids right now."

Clarkson was exaggerating, of course, but his exuberance was understandable. Most 10-year-olds can barely throw the ball 20 yards, let alone put any kind of spiral on it...

I'm sorry but I don't believe that he threw 55 yds as a 5th grader. If that's true than he should be able to throw nearly the length of the field now and yet scouts question his arm strength. 45 would be believable. Still it's good to see that he's dedicated.

0408clausen.jpg

I'd use it but I like attractive busty women slightly more than I do Clawesome.

I'd use it but I like attractive busty women slightly more than I do Clawesome.

My current avatar isn't exactly representative of my favorite things :(

My current avatar isn't exactly representative of my favorite things :(

I sure hope not! :eek:

How far you can throw a ball isn't just determined by how much muscle milk you chug. Clausen could throw that far at 10 because he had an usually strong grasp on proper throwing motion for a kid his age, not because he had a tank cannon where his right arm should be.