Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scouting Jimmy Clausen

93 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hopefully it isnt pink.

Confirmed today that I will at least be wearing pants (that was in doubt before) :eek:

I have to keep this setup in place until the Panthers win a game.

Posted · Report post

The story's in a couple of different threads.

My girlfriend is a Bucs fan. We had a bet on the game and (obviously) I lost it.

Besides the avatar and sig, I have to have my picture taken in the personalized Bucs jersey I got her for her birthday last year. It has a girl's name on the back, is a size too small for me and she's had it altered to fit a female figure. It'll probably look like a belly shirt on me :(

I expect she'll likely put the pic on her Facebook page. She also wants me to post it here, but I'm trying to weasel my way out of that provision.

i'll get my adblock ready to roll.

Posted · Report post

Confirmed today that I will at least be wearing pants (that was in doubt before) :eek:

I have to keep this setup in place until the Panthers win a game.

Well you are screwed til November.

Posted · Report post

Well you are screwed til November.

Lord, I hope not :(

Posted · Report post

Can they? Sure.

Will they? I sure hope so.

Without knowing what the guy said, it's hard to make a judgment. there's probably a story on it somewhere, but I'm not gonna bother looking it up right now.

One story I do know, though. When he first started playing, Clausen wanted to be a linebacker. Then one day he was just hanging out on the field while his brother was getting some QB coaching and an errant ball came his way. He picked it up, looked downfield and heaved a perfect 40 yard toss back to his brother.

He was ten years old at the time :sosp:

The QB coach asked 'Who's that kid?" Mom and Dad told him that was their younger boy Jimmy and he was a linebacker. Coach responded "Not anymore, he isn't."

And now, here we are...

Is that a true story or one of those legend thingies?

Posted · Report post

holy crap was that a good read. made my jaw drop quite a few times.

i was going to quote a couple things but there's so many things in there. how in the world did we luck out with this kid? i can't wait to see him in action this sunday.

i feel really good about this. the kid is a machine.

Well, he does kinda look like the Russian guy fighting Rocky.

Posted · Report post

Is that a true story or one of those legend thingies?

It's true (see the linked story).

Out of curiosity, if your guy lost a bet to you, what would you make him do?

Posted · Report post

How far you can throw a ball isn't just determined by how much muscle milk you chug. Clausen could throw that far at 10 because he had an usually strong grasp on proper throwing motion for a kid his age, not because he had a tank cannon where his right arm should be.

Yea I know that but it's still hard to believe, no matter how prodigal Clausen seems.

Posted · Report post

It's true (see the linked story).

Out of curiosity, if your guy lost a bet to you, what would you make him do?

Nothing postable on here, that's for sure. But I'd be wearing a big ass smile for days.

Posted · Report post

Yea I know that but it's still hard to believe, no matter how prodigal Clausen seems.
:confused:

Posted · Report post

the thing that gets me is all the hate jimmy was getting on this message board. i never could understand it, except for the fact that everyone was all over Moore's nuts at the time is the only thing i can think of.

anyway, i said numerous times that everyone might want to give the kid a break, because he could be our starter much sooner than anyone thinks, possibly even week one if he looked good enough in camp...

it kinda tickles me that i was right from the very beginning in thinking that matt moore had over-acheived last year... i just beleived from day one that even though jimmy was a rookie, that he was still the best QB on the team. there is a reason why matt moore was never a starter in this league, and it is the same reason why coach fox took so long to replace jake last year. I'm tooting my own horn, i guess i just want a cookie.

Posted · Report post

I don't know if this has been posted already but here is the breakdown of Clausen compare too Bradford by Walterfootball. It is very long and detailed.

Jimmy Clausen vs. Sam Bradford:

Tale of the Tape

Jimmy Clausen vs. Sam Bradford: Who's the Better Prospect?

By Matt McGuire

One hot 2010 NFL Draft debate is whether Jimmy Clausen or Sam Bradford will be the better NFL quarterback. Comparing all of the attributes of the two signal-callers is the best way to truly analyze this debate. Below is a player profile for both Clausen and Bradford, including a comparison of 21 attributes.

Jimmy Clausen Profile: Clausen came into Notre Dame as one of the most hyped quarterback prospects ever. He was the consensus No. 1 prospect in the country, but rubbed many off with his diva demeanor as an 18-year-old kid.

Clausen was recruited by all the top schools, but chose Notre Dame because of one man: Charlie Weis. Weis coached up one of the greatest ever in Tom Brady and won multiple Super Bowls in New England. Clausen had a rough start to his career in South Bend - however, this should be expected from a very young quarterback in a West Coast offense.

Clausen showed solid improvement in his sophomore season starting every game, but was hampered by a poor offensive coordinator who was eventually fired. Clausen struggled with mediocre talent around him - particularly on the offensive line. As a junior, Clausen had an outstanding campaign and really lived up to all of his potential and then some. He played most of the year with torn tendons in his toe and displayed toughness that you rarely see out of college players.

Some question Clausen's leadership as a teammate, but his head coach and teammates have raved about him. Clausen played under center a lot in college and this will benefit him greatly early in his NFL career.

Sam Bradford Profile: Sam Bradford wasn't a very heavily recruited prospect out of Oklahoma City, but he came to Norman and redshirted his true freshman year. In his redshirt freshman season, he started every game and dominated very early in the season. Bradford finished his freshman campaign completing 70 percent of his passes for more than 3,100 yards and 36 touchdowns to only eight interceptions.

Bradford ran the no-huddle offense as a sophomore, which then inflated his statistics. As a junior, he couldn't stay healthy and missed the majority of the season. Bradford's calling card is his elite level of accuracy.

Circumstances Breakdown: Jimmy Clausen played in a West Coast offense with little talent around him. Sure, he had Michael Floyd, Kyle Rudolph and Golden Tate as a junior, but Floyd and Rudolph were on the field together for only four games. Clausen had no running game, defense, and little pass protection.

Sam Bradford, on the other hand, had three All-Big 12 offensive linemen as a freshman and four as a sophomore including receivers such as Malcolm Kelly, Jermaine Gresham, Juaquin Iglesias, and Manuel Johnson - not to mention one of the best defenses in the nation against far inferior competition in the Big XII.

Bradford had a huge advantage operating in a shotgun spread offense for most of his career. He was rarely touched under center and simply didn't overcome much adversity when compared to Clausen. When Bradford didn't have an NFL offensive line in front of him as a junior, he was very quickly injured and showed highly questionable durability.

I ask you this - do you honestly think Bradford would have been as productive if he played at Notre Dame with no offensive line, running game or defense? I doubt it. Still, Bradford is a very talented quarterback and he is certainly not entirely a product of the system or talent around him. I just need to make it clear that these different circumstances (talent, offensive scheme, etc.) are taken into account in these evaluations.

Intermediate Accuracy: I give both quarterbacks extremely high marks for their intermediate accuracy. Jimmy Clausen places the ball in front of his receiver to maximize the yards after the catch. Receivers don't have to adjust often, and Clausen shows very good touch. Bradford also has an elite level of intermediate accuracy and really excels on the out route. Not many differences here, but Clausen throws a better slant and Bradford throws a superior fade.

Edge: Push

Deep Accuracy: I have to give Sam Bradford the edge here - however you just have to wonder how much better his accuracy would be if he had Notre Dame's offensive line; his accuracy simply won't be as good in the NFL because he won't have the passing lanes or time that he did at Oklahoma. Clausen tends to hang the ball up a bit, but that is not much of a concern to me. Bradford has Greg Maddux-type accuracy deep. Clausen is very good in this area, but again, Bradford throws a consistent deep ball and sets the receiver up to track it on time without much adjustment.

Edge: Bradford

Arm Strength: Jimmy Clausen isn't Matt Stafford, but then again Peyton Manning doesn't have Stafford's arm either. Clausen has a very strong arm and at times he will just put the ball out on a frozen rope on the 18-yard comeback, out and post. He can fit the ball in tight windows and throws the ball with velocity without sacrificing touch. Sam Bradford has an average arm by NFL standards; he reminds me of Eli Manning. Manning can make the throws, but any Giant fan will tell you he doesn't have a strong arm. If Bradford doesn't get the ball out early, he'll struggle to fit into the tighter windows at the next level.

Edge: Clausen

1 person likes this