Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

People who are not religious know more about religion than people who are

103 posts in this topic

Posted

critical thinking applies to relgious folks too now. someone who is religious also has found what works for them and even tho they may look around, they are for the most part content.

to me this is similar to the notion that when high art films about war or poverty don't do well it's a reflection of society being dumb. when those same dumb people see what the fiilms are about on a daily basis.

don't make me drop confirmation bias before 11am on ya'll...

Believing a religion requires faith not critical thinking or reasoning.

“Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things"- Marin Luther

Posted

Believing a religion requires faith not critical thinking or reasoning.

“Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things"- Marin Luther

Religion and faith are dif. True that faith has no reasoning, hence why it's called faith.

Faith is the greatest enemy to people who have to have things always explained to them like they are 4 yrs old before they go to the mall.

Sometimes we have the answers and some times we don't. I have said a gabillion times, ALL of us at some point in our life have made choices that might defy logic or critical thinking and go on our gut or on faith. You can use any euphemism you want to downplay you acutally doing something on faith, that's cool.

Besides. It's been a while since I chimed in the TBox due to work so here is my monthly quota.

Posted

Religion and faith are dif. True that faith has no reasoning, hence why it's called faith.

Faith is the greatest enemy to people who have to have things always explained to them like they are 4 yrs old before they go to the mall.

Sometimes we have the answers and some times we don't. I have said a gabillion times, ALL of us at some point in our life have made choices that might defy logic or critical thinking and go on our gut or on faith. You can use any euphemism you want to downplay you acutally doing something on faith, that's cool.

Besides. It's been a while since I chimed in the TBox due to work so here is my monthly quota.

Exactly why religious people aren't using critical thinking skills.

I admit and don't downplay that I use faith in my life. I live out faith every day with my family. Does that mean that I know my husband isn't going to leave me for a hot 21 year old? nope Does that mean my brother wont steal all our stuff and sell it for drugs? Nope but I choose to have faith that they wont and am aware that I'm making myself vulnerable to be let down. I'm picky with what I allow myself to believe and what I allow myself to have faith in. It has to be something based on good evidence. Old religions aren't based on good evidence. I'm not taking the word of a dead dude's writings that were based on other peoples claimed experiences and brought to us through the hands of hundreds of bias scholars. I'm not that trusting.

Posted

When I saw the thread title, I immediately thought of Cat... :lol:

1 person likes this

Posted

critical thinking applies to relgious folks too now. someone who is religious also has found what works for them and even tho they may look around, they are for the most part content.

to me this is similar to the notion that when high art films about war or poverty don't do well it's a reflection of society being dumb. when those same dumb people see what the fiilms are about on a daily basis.

don't make me drop confirmation bias before 11am on ya'll...

that's an awful lot of populism for this early in the morning.

Posted

I know what the bible says about sin.

It's against it.

Posted

I know what the bible says about sin.

It's against it.

it also says I should stone meat A.S.A.P.

Posted

K calvin coolidge

Posted

it also says I should stone meat A.S.A.P.

For the last time I am NOT Jewish.

Signed

Irving Meatstein

Posted

Being agnostic, I still agree with the quote that "religion keeps poor people from killing rich people"

That's about all it's good for.

Posted

Being agnostic, I still agree with the quote that "religion keeps poor people from killing rich people"

What's up 21B

Posted

It gives people hope. It's a fools hope but still hope which can make people happy. Like they saying goes, "ignorance is bliss".