Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

People who are not religious know more about religion than people who are

103 posts in this topic

Posted

Oh gawd never mind. pffft....

Posted

8xL1A.jpg

Posted

Rat Fink!

Posted

Good God this thread sucks.

See what I just did there?

1 person likes this

Posted

Good God this thread sucks.

See what I just did there?

:P

Posted

Being agnostic, I still agree with the quote that "religion keeps poor people from killing rich people"

That's about all it's good for.

Exactly. It's a way to control people who have nothing other than a promise that things will get better in another life controlled. Without it, there was no way to get people to do what those in power wanted. Most religious rituals can be explained if you use critical thinking. One example would be the Jewish Kosher diet. Had they had refrigerators back then, there probably wouldn't even be such a thing. These things don't come from God.

Posted

Exactly. It's a way to control people who have nothing other than a promise that things will get better in another life controlled. Without it, there was no way to get people to do what those in power wanted. Most religious rituals can be explained if you use critical thinking. One example would be the Jewish Kosher diet. Had they had refrigerators back then, there probably wouldn't even be such a thing. These things don't come from God.

Bigot!:cryin:

Posted

So now thinking someone is wrong is being bigoted. lol ok

Not at all. Ive go no beef with someone who believes that Im wrong about any subject including my belief in God.

What I'm taking issue with is your intimations in this thread that people who believe are fooled by hope, or afraid of their own mortality, or are somehow less capable of critical thinking. The suggestion that those folk who choose to believe are mentally lesser is or that their choice wasn't a fully considered and well reasoned one patently offensive.

1 person likes this

Posted

Not at all. Ive go no beef with someone who believes that Im wrong about any subject including my belief in God.

What I'm taking issue with is your intimations in this thread that people who believe are fooled by hope, or afraid of their own mortality, or are somehow less capable of critical thinking. The suggestion that those folk who choose to believe are mentally lesser is or that their choice wasn't a fully considered and well reasoned one patently offensive.

Don't bother...clearly Cat is the only happy person in this world....with all the answers.

Posted

Good luck. My 9yo can name all the books of the bible and can probably give most of the people here a good running for their bible knowledge. But am I drilling down into them they "have" to do this and "have" to do that. No. I'm providing them a path of faith that in the end they will have to make outside of any of my influences. I hope they choose one way...but in the end it's out of my hands. Strangely enough, I don't prosthelize a particular political agenda either. I would rather my kids come to whatever they choose to go down based on logic/reason and doing what is right. THAT is what I stress with them.

You just have to ignore some of these threads sometimes.

Posted

If you knew as much as you seem to think you do then you would know that as a Christian I derive no hope from my belief. The idea of an afterlife isn't some prize to be won for good behavior. The idea that God will make it all better if I just sing louder is as silly to a Christian as it is to an Atheist.

Heaven or Gods favor are not the point, not by a long shot. Anyone who tells you different is misinformed or has chosen to remain ignorant.

Posted

I'm pretty sure you can find that throughout this whole thread from most posters.

Also I didn't say they aren't capable of critical thinking. I said they don't use it with their religion. They use faith not reasoning.

Thinking someone is wrong and having theories about why they believe the way they do isn't bigoted. Google is only a click away, might want to brush up on the definition of a bigot.