Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

People who are not religious know more about religion than people who are

103 posts in this topic

Posted

Allah, God and Jesus walk into a bar. Ouch!

Posted

No, I'm getting in the don't make assumptions about me mode. Your generalities are based on the idea that anyone who self identifies as a Christian fits into some nice neat little mold that allows you to be comfortable making judgements about them.

Well I'm not that guy. My choices defy your assumptions and there isnt enough bandwidth in this medium for me to explain as I'm not willing to author a book on my beliefs and philosophies here.

My point is simply this. Just as you can't paint all people of a given race, creed, or social group with the same brush; you can't declare that all Christians are the same. And any attempt to do so only reflects poorly on you.

Keep it rollin', big man.

Posted

You're clutching at straws. A moral is a truth, and can exist absolutely given absolute and undeniable premises.

Really, then prove it.

Morals are not absolute truths. Morals are human made. They are subjective.

Posted

Plato also stated that Atlantis was completely fictional, and yet to this day, we all wonder what happened to it.

Posted

This is false. Faith demands belief in a positive value, not in a negative one. You are not asked to brush aside reason and pray in order to accept that God does not exist. This falls under the null hypothesis. A theory is, by default, not true, and must be proven rationally (this is why it's intellectually dishonest to ask your opponents to prove a negative statement, i.e. "prove that the stimulus didn't work").

While certain axioms do exist, and are required to be able to prove anything (for example, the statement that "existence exists" is an axiom, impossible to prove but inherently true), this doesn't apply to deities.

God can't be proved or disproved empirically and or by formal logic. Any claim of belief regarding god requires faith. If one is absent of a belief in god's existence or non existence than no faith is required.

Posted

Thats me in the corner... thats me in the spot light...

Posted

Thats me in the corner... thats me in the spot light...

understand that phrase in the song and it's original history. totally dif meaning

Posted

How many actually took the little CNN quiz from the link...or this one.

http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-religious-knowledge/

It's quite obvious why the south would have scored lower than the north. Simply through sheer exposure to other religions give those in the NE the advantage in questions concerning "Do you on what day sabbath actually begins?" The vast majority of people from say...Alabama...are not going to know the answer to that question. This wasn't simply a quiz about just Bible references, but don't let that stop everyone from going off.

Posted

How many actually took the little CNN quiz from the link...or this one.

http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-religious-knowledge/

It's quite obvious why the south would have scored lower than the north. Simply through sheer exposure to other religions give those in the NE the advantage in questions concerning "Do you on what day sabbath actually begins?" The vast majority of people from say...Alabama...are not going to know the answer to that question. This wasn't simply a quiz about just Bible references, but don't let that stop everyone from going off.

oooh standardized testing.

Posted

oooh standardized testing.

LOL. Religion isn't is sin 20 > tan 40?

Religous diversity isn't taught in elementary...middle...or really high school.

But good try.

They probably don't know what's kosher either...

Posted

LOL. Religion isn't is sin 20 > tan 40?

Religous diversity isn't taught in elementary...middle...or really high school.

But good try.

They probably don't know what's kosher either...

if it was being taught in schools do you think that the kids from alabama would do as well as the kids from new york?

Posted

if it was being taught in schools do you think that the kids from alabama would do as well as the kids from new york?

Frankly...it's not important at those ages and not a real concern for parents to know Shiva. But if it were, I would imagine the scoring would've been better. Better than New York? Doubtful due to just the sheer exposure to diverse cultures and religions.