Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cookinwithgas

People who are not religious know more about religion than people who are

100 posts in this topic

Why the hell would you need a religion to do that for you? Just follow the Golden Rule and be done with it.

I don't need a religion. I don't go to services, I'm not a member anywhere, on a point by point basis I tend to disagree with the way most churches practice Christianity.

That doesn't change the fact that I believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ and in God. So I call myself a Christian.

see? Faith not reasoning. To me one of the most important questions we ask ourselves during our life is about our purpose of existence and the like. I don't understand why for that particular question people feel that it's OK to dismiss the same intellect that guided them through every other decision in their lives in favor of faith, when a simple look around will tell you that you are far more likely to pick the locally favorite religion - Inimicus, if you grew up and were raised in Japan you would just as happily be a Buddist, more likely than not. It's not hard to understand from a rational point of view.

see? Faith not reasoning. To me one of the most important questions we ask ourselves during our life is about our purpose of existence and the like. I don't understand why for that particular question people feel that it's OK to dismiss the same intellect that guided them through every other decision in their lives in favor of faith, when a simple look around will tell you that you are far more likely to pick the locally favorite religion - Inimicus, if you grew up and were raised in Japan you would just as happily be a Buddist, more likely than not. It's not hard to understand from a rational point of view.

Please explain.

You know nothing about me. For all you know I did grow up in Japan. You know absolutely nothing about how I came to believe as I do so please explain how that belief is one of faith and not one of reason.

so please explain how that belief is one of faith and not one of reason.

God can't be proved or disproved so any belief that he exist or doesn't exist requires faith. Specifying a religion like Christianity requires even more faith, in my opinion, because now you are attributing specific attributes to god.

Please explain.

You know nothing about me. For all you know I did grow up in Japan. You know absolutely nothing about how I came to believe as I do so please explain how that belief is one of faith and not one of reason.

Hence the "more likely than not". All I am doing is being intellectually honest and you are getting into "OH NOES MY RELIGION IS BEING BASHED" mode.

If it was based on reason they would not call if faith would they?

Please explain.

See, if you could bash Obama, you'd be bashing his religion.

Hence the "more likely than not". All I am doing is being intellectually honest and you are getting into "OH NOES MY RELIGION IS BEING BASHED" mode.

You intellectually honest? Since when?

No, I'm getting in the don't make assumptions about me mode. Your generalities are based on the idea that anyone who self identifies as a Christian fits into some nice neat little mold that allows you to be comfortable making judgements about them.

Well I'm not that guy. My choices defy your assumptions and there isnt enough bandwidth in this medium for me to explain as I'm not willing to author a book on my beliefs and philosophies here.

My point is simply this. Just as you can't paint all people of a given race, creed, or social group with the same brush; you can't declare that all Christians are the same. And any attempt to do so only reflects poorly on you.

I'm quite religious. I'll garauntee your definition of what being "religious" means differs from mine significantly.

Reason is just an explanation of faith. Nothing more, nothing less.