57 replies to this topic

#46 Speed

Speed

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:50 PM

People post stuff on INTERNET to get a rise out of others? Balderdash!

That's what I was thinking.

#47 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,861 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:56 PM

That doesn't mean that money is saved elsewhere so that dinner can be paid for.

...speaking from experience here my friend.

You don't know my FIL. lol

#48 StepandFetch

StepandFetch

............chicken wire?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:27 PM

Although I am a Christian, by far, my favorite religion has to be Buddhism... no question.

#49 KaseKlosed

KaseKlosed

@CMackMost

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:22 PM

I will say this and I will leave it alone. Really, I don't necessarily dispute what you are saying. My problem lies in the "better than/less than" theory. Once someone chooses to believe in Jesus, or Christ, or Jesus the Christ then that's fine but who are you to say that your conviction is better than anyone else's, especially when the stories are so close and Christianity is the NEWEST religon?

Now, once you infiltrate someone else's lifestyle in what has been working for them all their life, whether it be Judaism, Taoism, Catholicism, Buddhism or Hindu and you say, "Hey, you got it all wrong. This is the way.", that imperialistic nature is just anti-Jesus.

If Christians just sat back and did what Jesus asks you to do by putting the shoe on the other foot, Christians would not be so quick to denounce how and what other people believe. I mean, think about someone just coming into your life and telling you, "Hey, everything that has been told to you is a lie." You got to do it my way or go to hell. Don't give me a "God" answer. Give me a "free will" answer.

The Bible clearly states that you should study to show thyself approved. It did not say study the Bible, it said study. Then it instructed that with all your getting, get understanding. This leads me to believe that the Bible is A source and not THE source. Ironically, there was no Bible during Biblical times, just scrolls. And there have been dozens of BIBLES before KJV. Now, how much do you think got lost in translation, with the majority of it being oral history from a consensus that Hebrew is the hardest, if not one of the hardest, to translate from? Something ain't adding up and God is a God of order, right?

It's true. It was people who CLAIMED to be Christians but with the sheeple that we live amongst today, who can really tell the difference when most Christians are ignorant? Jerry Fallwell was a Christian and a KNOWN racist. George Bush is a Christians yet he does not hesitate to spread war instead of love. Forget all the biblical mojo. Jesus asks of us three things: charity, hope and faith. Where in the hell are they?

All this tithing and offering? Jesus asks for first fruits. In the Bible, you were blessed FIRST then you gave. You did not sow an unknown seed. And the only people in the Bible that received tithes were priests. Not preachers, not evangelists, not pastors, not tv ministers...PRIESTS. They were not allowed to work so the community gave to provide for them for the services they provided.

In closing, think about it, literacy is a new concept when it comes to more people knowing how to read than not. That means if man is man, there has been a lot of manipulation. So, as these new questions come up people get defensive with the run of the mill answers rather than knowing GOD for themselves. You tell me which Bible is right and you have a believer. by:enlightened one

#50 RockECU

RockECU

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:13 PM

I will say this and I will leave it alone. Really, I don't necessarily dispute what you are saying. My problem lies in the "better than/less than" theory. Once someone chooses to believe in Jesus, or Christ, or Jesus the Christ then that's fine but who are you to say that your conviction is better than anyone else's, especially when the stories are so close and Christianity is the NEWEST religon?

Now, once you infiltrate someone else's lifestyle in what has been working for them all their life, whether it be Judaism, Taoism, Catholicism, Buddhism or Hindu and you say, "Hey, you got it all wrong. This is the way.", that imperialistic nature is just anti-Jesus.

Well put. That's the American way though! To put a NEW AND IMPROVED stamp on something that is old/practically the same and call it new and better and that you have to have it!

#51 neverlosethefeeling

neverlosethefeeling

• HUDDLER
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:27 PM

lol I was just kidding bro, but they are Abrahamic, and thus, very set in their ways being the only ways...

the part about bankers, doctors, and lawyers was a joke...

Jews are basically a bit behind the other two religions, in that they are still waiting on their Messiah...

The Jews call themselves the "Chosen People," because according to the Torah, God offered his covenant to others, but the Jews were the only to accept it.

And I think throughout history, the Jews have been the single most persecuted group, religion, people, race, ethnicity, etc. Period. That might have been why they were less accepting of other people, but I do not find that to be the case now. My grandfather told me that when he wanted to marry my grandmother in 1955, they couldn't find a Rabbi to marry them because she was agnostic. So she had to convert. That's a lot less the case now. The Torah prohibits interfaith marriage, but most Synagogues (especially reform) actually embrace interfaith couples now in an attempt to reach out...and they don't require the non-Jew to convert.

That being said, I think that not all Christianity is built the same. Like GTG said, it depends on the Christian. But I agree with Zod's initial post...They're a lot more invasive than Judaism, Buddhism, and Hinduism

#52 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,724 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:15 PM

If you think about it, Christianity and Islam are more alike than any of the other religions. They are the only two that demand you go out and recruit people in to them.

True, they are both monotheistic. and they 'demand' that you go out and recruit people. but the methodology thereof is what separates the two, as well as eight bazillion other things that pop out if you read the the bible and koran and comare the two.

Judaism, Hindu, Buddhism all would be fine with everyone believing what they want to believe without trying to change people's minds.

I'd wager the first one shouldn't be listed there, but you're right about the last two. hinduism and buddhism declare a lack of absolute truth (which is absurd in and of itself) and therefore are more a philosophical viewpoint through which no specific action is required.

#53 stwall

stwall

Jesus Freak

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:22 AM

I don't care what anyone says, we're all "sinners" in some form, and nobody's holier than anyone...

I absolutely agree with you 100%.

The funny thing to me is, That non Christians have gotten this bad image of Christians as being "holier than anyone" types of people. But the truth is every Christian I know is totally screwed up. Me included.

The only difference really between the 2 groups is that the Christians have been redeemed.

When I share my testimony with someone, it's not about trying to change them. It's about sharing the wonderful news of what Jesus has done in my life. I honestly don't see how that's any different from what most people do. Don't most people, when they have good news in the lives want to share that news with there family and friends?

I have seen numerous examples here on the huddle. People posting about new jobs, raises at work, getting pregnant, getting engaged or married. It's just people wanting to share the good news of there lives with there friends.

Why is that different then a Christian wanting to share there good news about Jesus? "Hey, bro. Let me tell you about the most important event in my life? Let me share with you how it changed my life? This is how I use to be before I meet Jesus. Now this is how he has impacted my life and changed it for the better."

#54 stwall

stwall

Jesus Freak

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:26 AM

being 100% sincere...

I love everyone.. even people who don't like me.... and I would give anything I had or was able to get to help anyone out.... I don't believe in being selfish.. I don't think I'm better than anyone... I respect all religions as well as people who have no religion...

All of this excludes, of course, Falcons/Bucs/Saints fans... They can all die painful deaths.. (just kidding!)

Nice post. :smile:

#55 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,724 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:39 PM

I absolutely agree with you 100%.

The funny thing to me is, That non Christians have gotten this bad image of Christians as being "holier than anyone" types of people. But the truth is every Christian I know is totally screwed up. Me included.

The only difference really between the 2 groups is that the Christians have been redeemed.

When I share my testimony with someone, it's not about trying to change them. It's about sharing the wonderful news of what Jesus has done in my life. I honestly don't see how that's any different from what most people do. Don't most people, when they have good news in the lives want to share that news with there family and friends?

I have seen numerous examples here on the huddle. People posting about new jobs, raises at work, getting pregnant, getting engaged or married. It's just people wanting to share the good news of there lives with there friends.

Why is that different then a Christian wanting to share there good news about Jesus? "Hey, bro. Let me tell you about the most important event in my life? Let me share with you how it changed my life? This is how I use to be before I meet Jesus. Now this is how he has impacted my life and changed it for the better."

agree.

#56 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:15 PM

The only difference really between the 2 groups is that the Christians believe they have been redeemed.

small but significant error corrected

#57 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:53 PM

I'd wager the first one shouldn't be listed there, but you're right about the last two. hinduism and buddhism declare a lack of absolute truth (which is absurd in and of itself) and therefore are more a philosophical viewpoint through which no specific action is required.

incorrect. the notion of karma conceptually requires "absolute truth." Absolute truth is nirvana/enlightenment. The difference is that it is not bestowed but earned through lifetimes of discipline.

#58 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:22 AM

I find religion to be just another methodology for the "in group-out group" selection phenomenon.

I think it might be left over from the times when the world was much smaller, consisting of whatever locality your tribe happened to live in.

Scarce resources, living in fear of a conquering tribe that would wipe out the males, take the females and livestock, etc.

Christianity really turned the corner when it finally figured out that survival as a meme required infiltration in to the politics of whatever power was at hand. Until that point it was just another persecuted minority, something Judaism has been struggling with for a very long time.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca the Younger

That quote may seem a bit condescending, and it is, but it illustrates to me the fundamental issue of religion as we see it today....what some in both the Muslim and Christian faiths see as a final struggle for supremacy on Earth, with the final result being the end of the world.

k

But some of us didn't ask for the End of Times, and would really like to not be involved, thank you very much!

Fact is, most Christians and Muslims just want to raise families, have successful lives, live in peace, etc.
A small minority, however, have found ample evidence in their respective Holy Books to justify the complete destruction of the "non-believer".....what I read to be the "out-group". And back in the day, in the struggle for survival of that people group, this probably made sense. Ask the Canaanites.
Today, we label actions like this to be genocide, and as I said, you can find this in all of the major monotheisms books.
You can also find the more comfortable "peace and love" stuff if you look.

So which is it?

Sorry, that was very rambling and disjointed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com