Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting note on this year's defense

43 posts in this topic

Posted

If our defense was doing so well then why would Fox intervene? He is not the problem and at worse was not able to fix it. But his intervention clearly wouldn't have been the problem or made things worse. Otherwise he would have just kept things as they were and kept going along as we were. Seems to me after the break we went to much more of a zone look after using more man coverages early.

Reminds me, there's word the Skins might be looking to trade Carlos Rogers.

He could conceivably be a decent complement to Gamble (if fully recovered from knee issues) and could be had more cheaply than Asomugha, but they may want a second rounder for him. I think that's a bit more than I'd want to give up, especially with no first rounder at the moment.

Posted

Reminds me, there's word the Skins might be looking to trade Carlos Rogers.

He could conceivably be a decent complement to Gamble (if fully recovered from knee issues) and could be had more cheaply than Asomugha, but they may want a second rounder for him. I think that's a bit more than I'd want to give up, especially with no first rounder at the moment.

I would like to get another good man coverage corner whether in FA or through the draft. I figure that our current guys would be better in man coverage than zone plus we could use more depth in the case of injuries and in nickel and dime coverages.

I would like to get some bigger corners with the speed to cover as well as the size to fight for the ball. Our corners are generally not very big and physical.

Posted

I would like to get another good man coverage corner whether in FA or through the draft. I figure that our current guys would be better in man coverage than zone plus we could use more depth in the case of injuries and in nickel and dime coverages.

I would like to get some bigger corners with the speed to cover as well as the size to fight for the ball. Our corners are generally not very big and physical.

He's 6-0, 190. Started the year as their top guy but fell off some, sat out all last year (knee) and is a bit disgruntled now over being replaced with DeAngelo Hall.

I could see getting him, but a second rounder is too high a price.

My favorite trade idea this offseason is still getting Heath Miller from the Steelers.

Todd Heap is a tad disgruntled in Baltimore, but he'd likely cost too much.

Posted

You might be overthinking it here.

Per Gantt, Fox started horning in on the defensive side of things about mid-season, which is right around the time we fell off. This was the second straight season Fox had gotten "more involved" in the defense.

The question is simply this: Do you believe we fell off because Fox's input messed things up or do you believe having Fox looking over his shoulder adversely affected Trgovac's ability to do the job?

Looking beyond the limits that you set is overthinking? I disagree. It seems that far too many here are willing to hang Trgovac and keep Fox. If we take mid season as meaning week 8, then Fox got involved, and the D dropped in performance. If it was later, then the D dropped, Fox got involved, but was unable to fix it. (And we really don't know that Trgo did not invite Fox's involvement to begin with.)

Why does Fox get the pass while some call for Trgo's head on a pike? Isn't it possible that Fox is more to blame for the ills than Trgo? Fox wore a headset, heard the calls, had the authority to make changes. He also reviewed and approved game plans for both the O and the D. Why bring in a different cook if the head chef is just going to order him to burn the beef stew?

Posted

Looking beyond the limits that you set is overthinking? I disagree. It seems that far too many here are willing to hang Trgovac and keep Fox. If we take mid season as meaning week 8, then Fox got involved, and the D dropped in performance. If it was later, then the D dropped, Fox got involved, but was unable to fix it. (And we really don't know that Trgo did not invite Fox's involvement to begin with.)

Why does Fox get the pass while some call for Trgo's head on a pike? Isn't it possible that Fox is more to blame for the ills than Trgo? Fox wore a headset, heard the calls, had the authority to make changes. He also reviewed and approved game plans for both the O and the D. Why bring in a different cook if the head chef is just going to order him to burn the beef stew?

Blaming Fox for screwing things up was one of the options I gave.

Posted

Perhaps Fox and Trgovac had different ideas on what needed to be "fixed" and that caused some confusion in the defensive backfield. In the attempt to correct the fix they had the DL injuries. Then some people began overplaying and freelancing trying to help other players and it all fell apart. Remember early in the season when the defense was playing so well you kept hearing guys talking about everybody knows their resposibilities and as long as everyone is where they are supposed to be and nobody is trying to help cover other peoples areas and freelancing like in the past it will work. Evidently they stopped doing it.

Posted

If I had to guess what caused Fox to "get more involved" it would probably be after the Arizona game when Beason said in an interview that the team did not prepare for 4 and 5 reciever sets. Facing the Cardinals and not preparing for 4 and 5 reciever sets is just ignorant and could have been what caused Fox to step in. I know if I was a head coach in that situation I would be pissed my DC didn't fully prepare for obvious sets.

Posted

Blaming Fox for screwing things up was one of the options I gave.

You did say that his involvement might have hurt but you covered it up with the "too many cooks" stuff. You have made clear statements that you think Trgo is at fault. Is he still at fault if the source of the D's problem was all Fox? Does Trgo deserve to take the fall for following his boss's orders?

Posted

If I had to guess what caused Fox to "get more involved" it would probably be after the Arizona game when Beason said in an interview that the team did not prepare for 4 and 5 reciever sets. Facing the Cardinals and not preparing for 4 and 5 reciever sets is just ignorant and could have been what caused Fox to step in. I know if I was a head coach in that situation I would be pissed my DC didn't fully prepare for obvious sets.

Don't you think that Fox should have noticed that the D was not looking at 4 & 5 receiver sets during practices leading up to that game? If he did but let it go, isn't he equally at fault? If he didn't notice, isn't he also at fault?

Posted

You did say that his involvement might have hurt but you covered it up with the "too many cooks" stuff. You have made clear statements that you think Trgo is at fault. Is he still at fault if the source of the D's problem was all Fox? Does Trgo deserve to take the fall for following his boss's orders?

"Too many cooks" was exposition, no excuse.

In my opinion, Trgovac is the problem, but I accept (based on the premise of this thread) the possibility that Fox deserves more blame then he's getting.

I don't agree with it, but I accept it as a possibility.

Posted

Don't you think that Fox should have noticed that the D was not looking at 4 & 5 receiver sets during practices leading up to that game? If he did but let it go, isn't he equally at fault? If he didn't notice, isn't he also at fault?

To quickly anwser your questions: Yes, Yes and Yes.

Posted

Jenkins saw all this last season and got out .

Peppers gave it a chance to get better ,It did not . Now he wants out .

Some one needs to step up and take out the trash !