Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Its obvious to anyone with a clue, the Panthers draft with their first pick...

241 posts in this topic

Posted

...best DT of the draft. If that means trading down from the #1 pick to the #7 or 8 pick and picking up a second rounder in the process... so be it.

Posted

They may go CB too.

A lot depends on who the next coach is and what sort of defensive philosophy he has.

Posted

I think Cb would be a mistake. The best CB's in the league can't man cover for more than 4 seconds. Unless we can get a defensive linemen that requires a double team the majority of the time, I don't think who is out there at CB will make a bit of difference.

Posted

This the draft forum? 

1 person likes this

Posted

Pass rushing DT is the biggest need on imo. DT Marcell Dareus is a possibility. There has been little to no pressure coming from our current DTs. We're limited at DE, but DT is a far greater concern.

On offense I think everyone agrees that a #2 WR is the biggest need. I'd take A.J Green, he has the speed, leaping abiltiy, and excellent hands to make a nice #2 WR. Gettis simply doesn't have the speed to be our #2. If you watch him in the Saints game the seperation isn't there. Jarret will be cut, and Lafell can't catch, so Green might be the pick. Edwards can be our #3 if he improves leaps and bounds. Lafell can stay for depth.

I think we'll either go with a WR or DT in the first round.

Posted

...best DT of the draft. If that means trading down from the #1 pick to the #7 or 8 pick and picking up a second rounder in the process... so be it.

Sounds like a plan.

Next years team's shiny new coach will have him a shiny new DT.

Posted

I hope they never draft a CB with a early first round pick. It's such a mistake. WR, DT or QB zone only

Posted

I agree with it, as long as it is comparable to the best value there is in the first as well. DT, WR, Gaurd. Depends on FA too though.

Posted

I hope they never draft a CB with a early first round pick. It's such a mistake. WR, DT or QB zone only

History has shown that those three positions have the highest 1st round bust rate and are also the slowest to develop.

Still, if we do have a top 5 pick in the draft, it will take more than a 1st round pick and a new coach to right the ship so having a slowly developing potential superstar will not be a horrible situation.

Posted

i think you could have an argument for WR, DT, CB, or a ORT.

of the above, right tackle would be the least of my concerns, but, with otah having a hard time staying healthy, and given how hard it is to find a good O Tackle, i say if a beast is on the board, take him.

we could find someone who may be as good as otah with a top 5 pick, and can stay healthy too.

then we could trade otah away for the first rounder that we used to draft him a few years ago, or keep him as a very valuable back-up. (which we seem to need at that position every season anyway.)

as long as we are going to be a running team that has really good RBs, we might as well invest in the o-line.

there is no reason to continue tanking our season everytime Otah gets hurt.

plus, with offensive tackles, you have the best chance to not bust as well.

1 person likes this

Posted

I still kind of think that we're going to win at least 6 games, which puts you squarely in CB drafting territory.

I'm an incurable optimist... :)

Posted

I agree with Zodimus... We need that big guy in there rushing the QB. That will force bad throws, making it easier for said CBs