Photo
- - - - -

Its obvious to anyone with a clue, the Panthers draft with their first pick...

• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

#226 Ruff

Ruff

Formerly Know As RufftownRepresent

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:53 AM

Here now is a direct quote from David Gettis himself:

What are your favorite routes to run?

"Well my favorite routes to run... probably anything verticle routes, anything over 15 yards, where I can build up my speed, you know, I have long strides..."

Isn't that the route every single wide receiver wants to run? Which receiver is like, "nah dude, I like to run those short routes so I get hit in the mouth as soon as I touch the ball."

#227 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:04 PM

Isn't that the route every single wide receiver wants to run? Which receiver is like, "nah dude, I like to run those short routes so I get hit in the mouth as soon as I touch the ball."

Yeah because a Safety will leave you alone on the deep routes. Right good post.

#228 kdrh5

kdrh5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:23 PM

I'll disagree... First I believe there is a difference between The top 8 in the NFL draft and the rest of the first round. It's not guaranteed but with a top 8 pick (Which it's looking like we're sure to have) You have a higher probability of drafting a franchise player... and at the least the underachieve and turn into a role player... then there are a few that turns out to be complete bust being drafted that high. Point is we need franchise player and you have a higher probability of drafting that kind of player and someone who will contribute to the franchise long term in that position.

Now when you trade down to the late first round, second, and third round the chances of drafting a franchise player is greatly reduced, and the chances that player turns out to be a bust is greatly increased.

When you have the rare chance to draft at the top of the draft and take a low risk player you do it.... That would be like us not taking Peppers back when we did and just trade down for more picks since we needed a lot more players to make the team better.

I don't understand why a good amount of people here want to shy away from drafting proven talent or trade proven talent away for another shot at the 3rd/4th round draft crap shoot?

Now did you actually research your first three paragraphs, where you try to compare the likelihood of success when drafting in the top 8 as opposed to the rest of the first round, or are you just saying that because you want us to draft an "elite" prospect rather than a player taken after the top ten like Jon Beason, Clay Matthews, Deangelo Williams, Hakeem Nicks, Aaron Rodgers, Ed Reed, Patrick Willis, Reggie Wayne, etc.?

Let's not forget about players not even drafted in the first round like Ryan Kalil, Lamarr Woodley, Greg Jennings, Trent Cole, etc.

It's pretty clear that great players can be found throughout the draft. It's also pretty clear that busts can be found throughout the draft as well and that the draft is a crapshoot in general, not just the third or forth round as you suggested. Being drafted in the top 8 doesn't make you a lower risk, if anything its a higher risk drafting a guy that high when you consider the amount of money you're gonna have to pay him of he flops, esp if its a QB. None of these guys are proven.

#229 theyhateme45

theyhateme45

360 GT = Shino45

• HUDDLER
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:37 PM

Now did you actually research your first three paragraphs, where you try to compare the likelihood of success when drafting in the top 8 as opposed to the rest of the first round, or are you just saying that because you want us to draft an "elite" prospect rather than a player taken after the top ten like Jon Beason, Clay Matthews, Deangelo Williams, Hakeem Nicks, Aaron Rodgers, Ed Reed, Patrick Willis, Reggie Wayne, etc.?

Let's not forget about players not even drafted in the first round like Ryan Kalil, Lamarr Woodley, Greg Jennings, Trent Cole, etc.

It's pretty clear that great players can be found throughout the draft. It's also pretty clear that busts can be found throughout the draft as well and that the draft is a crapshoot in general, not just the third or forth round as you suggested. Being drafted in the top 8 doesn't make you a lower risk, if anything its a higher risk drafting a guy that high when you consider the amount of money you're gonna have to pay him of he flops, esp if its a QB. None of these guys are proven.

Not what I said at all! I did not say good players or franchise players can;t be found late in the draft... I'm talking about the probability of drafting at franchise player at pick #3 vs Pick # 23 or pick # 53.... Probability not certainty. My point is why give up good odds when the odds are in your favor for once?

#230 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:45 PM

If we trade out of the #2 pick we better pillage someone just like other teams have pillaged us over the years while trying to trade up. I'll be pretty pissed if we pass on AJ Green to take Marcel Dareus. Dareus has Glenn Dorsey written all over him and he hasn't even been as productive.

#231 kdrh5

kdrh5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:54 PM

Dorsey has been ruined from playing out of position as a DE in 3-4 when he's a 3-technique in a 4-3

Edited by kdrh5, 14 October 2010 - 01:59 PM.

#232 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:34 PM

If we trade out of the #2 pick we better pillage someone just like other teams have pillaged us over the years while trying to trade up. I'll be pretty pissed if we pass on AJ Green to take Marcel Dareus. Dareus has Glenn Dorsey written all over him and he hasn't even been as productive.

whats makes you think Glenn Dorsey??

I see a lot of power in Dareus game a guy that can push the pocket.

#233 PantherFan52

PantherFan52

The Man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:48 PM

We offer boat loads of money at Haloti Ngata in Free agency, then take A.J. Green..... Championship

#234 kdrh5

kdrh5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:31 PM

I would love to have Ngata, but the Ravens will do more than everything in their power to keep him. Barry Cofield, who's starting in New York, could be had, though.

#235 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:56 PM

Gettis looked good on the deep routes against the 49ers didn't he?

#236 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:27 PM

a beast D lineman, not even sure it will be a tackle with Landri and Ed playing well together, I see a pure D end or a 3 technique tackle. No way we get an O lineman. I dont see Jerry Richardson wanting to pay Andrew luck 55 million guaranteed so I doubt thats in the cards, especially if Matt finishes well

#237 DynastyRTR

DynastyRTR

newnfldraft.com writer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:36 PM

as long as we get one of these 6 guys, im happy...Patrick Peterson, A.J. Green, Nick Fairley, Da'Quan Bowers, Marcell Dareus, Julio Jones

comparisons:

Peterson-Darrelle Revis
Green-Randy Moss
Fairley-Ndamukong Suh...yes I said it...Suh
Bowers-Julius Peppers
Dareus-Jay Ratliff
Jones-Terrell Owens

#238 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:32 PM

as long as we get one of these 6 guys, im happy...Patrick Peterson, A.J. Green, Nick Fairley, Da'Quan Bowers, Marcell Dareus, Julio Jones

comparisons:

Peterson-Darrelle Revis
Green-Randy Moss
Fairley-Ndamukong Suh...yes I said it...SuhBowers-Julius Peppers
Dareus-Jay Ratliff
Jones-Terrell Owens

Fairley is having a good year but not that good.lol

#239 ZedLeppelin

ZedLeppelin

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:19 PM

I really want a top 3 pick because I think Luck, Peterson and Green have seperated themselves from the next 10 or so guys who are all about the same on my board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.