Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CatMan72

WalterFootball.com 2011 Mock Draft

41 posts in this topic

Lets put it this way...we are a HELL of a lot better at finding defensive talent late than we are offensive talent. We haven't had a TRUE offensive talent found after round 1 since Steve Smith about 8 years ago.

Williams -1st

Stewart -1st

Gross -1st

Otah -1st

Smith -3rd (8 drafts ago...)

Those are the best players on our offense.

On defense...

Gamble -1st

Beason -1st

Marshall -2nd

Anderson -3rd?

Godfrey -3rd

Martin -2nd?

Connor -3rd

Hardy -6th

The bottom line is that we have tried to develop guys that aren't superstar talents and it hasn't worked out for us on offense. It HAS worked out for us on defense though. Which to me means that you use your first picks on offense and then continue to develop guys on defense. AKA...you don't pass up AJ Green if he is there.

I could point out Kalil, a pro-bowl 2nd rounder, Clausen in the 2nd, all our TEs are late round guys, Wharton and even list Gettis there as he looks good so far for a rookie (as you listed Hardy?). The list looks pretty much the same then but all that is really beside the point.

You had mentioned choosing WR over a DB because of being able to find DB talent later in the draft and I was just pointing out this isn't really a valid argument as the talent depth at both positions is nearly identical.

If you want to talk about drafting need over BPA then that's a whole different discussion. I won't say a CB is a bigger need than WR because obviously WR is the biggest need but if you're going BPA (which I'm a big fan of) then I'd take Peterson all day.

As far as other options at WR if they pass on Green, I'll be posting some info soon on Ryan Broyles, a projected 2nd-3rd rounder that looks very promising. I'd equate him to a mix between Steve Smith (NYG) and DeSean Jackson, and like Jackson won't be drafted higher due to his size.

Broyles is a beast. he has half as many recieving yards right now as he did last year...which is 1,120. if im not mistaken he is currently the leading reciever in the ncaa. and he isnt undersized. he is 5'11, 190. he was clocked running a 4.51 40

EDIT: also, othr than A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Michael Floyd, and Jonathan Baldwin. here are some other guys that I like.

-Austin Pettis, Boise State: 6'3, 201 4.56 40.

-Leonard Hankerson, Miami: 6'3, 215 4.52 40.

-Jerrel Jernigan, Troy:5'9, 185 4.34 40.

I really wouldn't want to draft a wr other than green. If we don't truly suck out loud all year and have a top two or three pick, I'd feel better about us signing a guy like Legadu Nanee or James Jones in FA.

update

Carolina Panthers: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia

I'm not buying what Brandon LaFell and David Gettis did against the crappy 49ers secondary. I don't trust LaFell's shaky hands, and Gettis isn't anymore consistent. Let's see if they can continue to produce at that pace. Besides, prospects like Green don't come around very often

Carolina Panthers: Lance Kendricks, TE, Wisconsin

John Fox thinks talented tight ends are stupid. Fortunately, Fox will be moving on at the end of the season.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

I would take Patrick p over green right now.

I agree with the stuff about LaFell but what has Gettis done that makes him inconsistent? He dropped a crucial pass that could've killed us, yes. So has Steve Smith many times. Gettis has been reliable receiver #1 for us this yr if you take hands, speed, catches, TDs and health into the equation.

i want peterson or green.

i want peterson or green.

Peterson is my first choice, but Green would be a nice consolation....

update

2.Carolina Panthers: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia

In their humiliating loss against the Bears, the Panthers became the first team to start a rookie quarterback and two rookie receivers in the same game since the 1999 Browns (Tim Couch, Kevin Johnson, Darren Chiaverini).

3.Carolina Panthers: Sione Fua, DT, Stanford

Starting defensive tackle Derek Landri has played very well thus far in terms of stopping the run, but neither he nor Ed Johnson offers much in terms of an interior pass rush. In a division with Drew Brees, Matt Ryan and the emerging Josh Freeman, this is an area Carolina will have to improve upon.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011_3.php