328 replies to this topic

#166 CLTPanther

CLTPanther

This Space for Rent

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:43 PM

Ruff, how about this. All alternatives are not equal, nor are they always the same. If I can't watch a football game this Sunday because it's blacked out. I could:

1. Play with my kids.
2. Watch NBA (if it's on).
3. Read a book
4. Go jogging for better health.
5. Go play football with some friends.
6. Clean up the house.

There are always alternatives when what's being substituted is not required for existence. No one said you have to like any or all of the alternatives, but they are still there. I know people love football, but you guys are arguing it's a monopoly when it is in fact not.

#167 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,187 posts

They are not professionals.

They fall under the category of student athlete.

We are asking about the alternative to professional football.

You are talking about businesses which College Football is.

#168 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,436 posts

The other teams. The NFL is not a commodity. Each team is. Just because you don't like the other teams doesn't mean that there is a monopoly.

Crispy Creme has a Donut monopoly!!!! I just hate Dunkin Donuts...MONOPOLY I TELL YOU!@!

Is this fictional Crispy Creme company subsidized by the government giving them better infrastructure that readily contributes to their profits?

If so, this comparison is a good one.

If not, it's tripe.

#169 tarheelblue89

tarheelblue89

More u spend, More u win

• HUDDLER
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:44 PM

If there is a lockout, I will miss fantasy football more than actual football.

Edited by tarheelblue89, 06 October 2010 - 02:48 PM.

#170 Samuel L. Jackson

Samuel L. Jackson

Banned

• Banned
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

As far as alternatives, I am actually tempted to play LOTRO after halftime of the Bears game if we are continuing to play the way we have this season...

Fallout: New Vegas comes out in a couple weeks too, so that will be another option...

I've been wanting to work on losing some weight too, so maybe a lockout will finally bore me enough to go outside and play...

#171 The Saltman

The Saltman

I have Returned

• Moderators
  • 24,877 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:47 PM

bottom line the lockout sucks for both us and the players.

#172 Ruff

Ruff

Formerly Know As RufftownRepresent

• HUDDLER
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:48 PM

Ruff, how about this. All alternatives are not equal, nor are they always the same. If I can't watch a football game this Sunday because it's blacked out. I could:

1. Play with my kids.
2. Watch NBA (if it's on).
3. Read a book
4. Go jogging for better health.
5. Go play football with some friends.
6. Clean up the house.

There are always alternatives when what's being substituted is not required for existence. No one said you have to like any or all of the alternatives, but they are still there. I know people love football, but you guys are arguing it's a monopoly when it is in fact not.

Do you know what a monopoly is? It's when one company corners the market on its particular area. i.e., the NFL would be a monopoly on football.

Going by your concept, then how did Congress rule MLB is a monopoly? Because, I can ride a bike. But, that has nothing to do with the baseball market in the United States.

#173 Samuel L. Jackson

Samuel L. Jackson

Banned

• Banned
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:50 PM

I think if you view it as a monopoly on your free time, then it isn't a monopoly at all... I think that is what he was getting at...

#174 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,795 posts

I smell a beer summit coming.

#175 CLTPanther

CLTPanther

This Space for Rent

• HUDDLER
  • 4,931 posts

Because congress is a collection of morons. I don't care what they say. If you go by that logic, then every single sport is a monopoly. If you want to see what a real monopoly is, go read up on the Stanard Oil Company or the original AT&T.

#176 Ruff

Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:51 PM

You are talking about businesses which College Football is.

Yes, College Football is a business. But, it's not a professional football business. There are huge differences (players getting paid, player merchandise being sold, tax payer/tuition paid team items, etc)

So, would College Football be a monopoly? Yes. Of the College Football business.

#177 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,054 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:51 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5652700

"NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith sees new signs that owners are preparing for a football-free 2011.

With support from Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, he asked fans to take the players' side.

Speaking at a tailgate-style fan luncheon a few blocks from Lambeau Field on Tuesday, Smith referred to a recent Sports Business Journal report that said the NFL is requiring banks that lend money to its teams to extend grace periods for loan defaults through the end of the 2011 season in the event of a lockout.

"That to me is a step where the owners are protecting themselves in the event that there is no season," Smith said."

The NFLPA boss Smith is an idiot and he is just now realizing this could be serious.

First, he is an idiot to handle it this way.

Second, all he is doing is trying to get the fans on the players side.

Nothing more to this than that.

#178 CLTPanther

CLTPanther

This Space for Rent

• HUDDLER
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:52 PM

I smell a beer summit coming.

Coincidentally, I'm about to go gather the supplies for just such an event.

#179 Ruff

Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

Because congress is a collection of morons. I don't care what they say.

That settles it, then. I'm glad I didn't see through that logic. :rolleyes:

If you want to see what a real monopoly is, go read up on the Stanard Oil Company or the original AT&T.

Going by your logic, then why is Standard Oil a monopoly? I could ride a bike, walk, jog, wash my clothes, or rob a fuging train. It's a monopoly because it cornered the market on a specific item.

#180 CLTPanther

CLTPanther

This Space for Rent

• HUDDLER
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

Yes, College Football is a business. But, it's not a professional football business. There are huge differences (players getting paid, player merchandise being sold, tax payer/tuition paid team items, etc)

So, would College Football be a monopoly? Yes. Of the College Football business.

Apparently you've never heard of USC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.